Marietta Township, Washington County, Ohio
|Marietta Township, Ohio|
|• Total||15.3 sq mi (39.6 km2)|
|• Land||14.9 sq mi (38.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.9 km2)|
|Elevation||673 ft (205 m)|
|• Density||312.9/sq mi (120.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1087138|
Located in the southern part of the county along the Ohio River, it borders the following townships:
- Fearing Township - north
- Lawrence Township - northeast corner
- Newport Township - east
- Warren Township - west
- Muskingum Township - northwest
Two populated places are located along the Ohio River in Washington Township: most of the city of Marietta, the county seat of Washington County, in the northwest; and the unincorporated community of Reno, in the south.
Name and history
It is the only Marietta Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Washington County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.