Maze lines up to return a punt against Mississippi State
|Date of birth:March 2, 1988|
|Place of birth: Tarrant, Alabama|
|High school: Tarrant (AL)|
|Undrafted in 2012|
|No regular season or postseason appearances|
|Roster status: Active|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics
Tyran Marquis Maze (born March 2, 1989) is an American football wide receiver who is currently a free agent. He played for The University of Alabama from 2008 to 2011 and had over 1,000 receiving yards in the 2009 and 2010 seasons. In 2011, he became the lead receiver, punt returner, and kickoff returner for Alabama.
Maze was born in Birmingham, Alabama. He attended Tarrant High School in Tarrant, Alabama. He played high school football at multiple positions, including tailback, quarterback, wide receiver, defensive back and punt and kickoff returner. During the 2005 and 2006 seasons, Maze had almost 3,000 all-purpose yards and more than 30 touchdowns.
Maze was recruited by many of the country's top football programs, including the University of Alabama, University of Michigan, and University of Tennessee. After initially committing to Michigan, Maze signed a letter of intent with Alabama in February 2007.
During Alabama's spring practice in April 2009, Maze earned co-MVP honors and established himself as the fastest player on the Alabama team and the No. 2 receiver behind Julio Jones. Maze became a key player on the 2009 Alabama Crimson Tide football team that won the national championship. He played in all 14 games, 11 as a starter. Although Julio Jones and Mark Ingram won most of the headlines, Maze had 557 receiving yards and an average of 16.9 yards per catch. He had an 80-yard touchdown catch against Arkansas in September 2009. He finished with 31 catches for 523 yards for two touchdowns. In the 2009 SEC Championship Game, Maze had five catches for a career high 96 receiving yards.
For the 2010 season, Maze appeared in all 13 games for Alabama, seven as a starter. He had 38 receptions for 557 yards and three touchdowns. In the game against Florida, Maze threw a 19-yard touchdown pass to Michael Williams. In the 2011 Capital One Bowl, Maze caught a 37-yard touchdown pass and led the team's receivers with 77 receiving yards. Maze also served as Alabama's principal punt returner during the 2010 season.
In March 2011, Maze announced that he would not participate in the NFL draft and would instead return to Alabama for his senior year. Marquis Maze gave little thought to leaving Alabama for the NFL With Julio Jones graduating, Maze was expected to become Alabama's No. 1 receiver in the 2011 season. Based on his performance in the preseason, Maze won a starting spot not only at wide receiver but also on special teams as the team's primary punt returner and kickoff returner. In July 2011, he was included on the watch list for the 2011 Fred Biletnikoff Award, presented each year to America's top college football receiver.
In the 2011 season opener against Kent State, Maze established himself as Alabama's primary receiver. He contributed 253 all purposes yards, including 114 receiving yards on eight catches, 96 return yards on eight punts, and 39 yards on a kickoff return. His eight punt returns tied an Alabama school record set in 1946 by College Football Hall of Fame inductee Harry Gilmer. After the game, Alabama head coach Nick Saban said, "Marquis Maze did a fantastic job today, not only with eight catches, but also doing a really good job in the kicking game and return game."
After the first three games of the 2011 season, Maze led all players in the NCAA FBS with 195 punt return yards.
In the fourth game of the 2011 season, Maze returned four punts for 125 yards, including an 83-yard return for a touchdown in the third quarter. After the game, the Birmingham News called Maze "the amazing Marquis Maze" and a "special player" and wrote: "The undersized and underappreciated Maze bobbed and weaved his way 83 yards for a third-quarter touchdown on a punt return that broke Arkansas ankles and hearts. His last cutback wasn't even necessary. It was unreal, unfair and unstoppable." The return earned Alabama Play of the Week honors from al.com. Writing in The Huntsville Times, Mark McCarter observed: "Maze didn't look like he was running on his own. He looked like an avatar, and a 16-year-old's thumbs were maneuvering him with a PlayStation control panel."
Playing against Tennessee on October 22, 2011, Maze caught five passes for 106 yards. Through the first eight games of the season, Maze had 482 receiving yards. As of October 23, 2011, Maze also had 320 punt return yards, second most in the Football Bowl Subdivision. In the 2012 BCS National Championship Game against LSU, Maze almost returned a punt for a touchdown before being injured from a hamstring pull. This injury unfortunately proved to be game-ending for him.
On April 28, 2012, Maze signed a free-agent deal with the Pittsburgh Steelers. On August 31 Maze was waived by the Pittsburgh Steelers.
- "Marquis Maze bio". rolltide.com.
- "Wildcats' opponents sure to find themselves in a Maze". The Huntsville Times. August 23, 2006.
- "Maze's fast one could be first of many for Tide". Birmingham News (same article published in The Huntsville Times). February 8, 2007.
- "Once a Wolverine, Tarrant's Maze to visit Tide". Birmingham News. January 20, 2007.
- "Marquis Maze". ESPN.com.
- Ian Rapoport (August 19, 2008). "Speedster Maze on track for better sophomore season". The Birmingham News.
- "A-Maze-ing: Tide's other receiver earns Co-MVP honors". The Anniston Star. April 19, 2009.
- "Co-MVP Maze shows off his speed". The Decatur Daily. April 19, 2009.
- "Maze steps up for Alabama". The Times-Journal (Fort Payne, AL). April 21, 2009.
- "Maze looking to take pressure off Jones, Behind the man". The Anniston Star. August 18, 2009.
- "Maze amazes Tide with his quickness, WR competes for starting spot". Columbus Ledger-Enquirer. August 18, 2009.
- "Speedy Maze could lure defense away from Jones". The Decatur Daily. August 18, 2009.
- Chris Low (September 26, 2009). "Hogs getting Maze-d". ESPN.com.
- "Maze, other Alabama WRs have produced". The Anniston Star. December 31, 2009.
- "Crimson Tide receivers prove they are more than just Julio Jones; Maze among those who stepped up". Columbus Ledger-Enquirer. December 31, 2009.
- "Maze made Tide fans notice". The Decatur Daily. December 31, 2009.
- "A-Mazing game WR Maze gets Alabama off to strong start". The Anniston Star. December 6, 2009.
- "Maze’s big day part of Tide's magic, Receiver had 5 catches for 96 yards". The Decatur Daily. December 6, 2009.
- "Maze delivers in spotlight for Tide". Opelika-Auburn News. October 18, 2010.
- Michael Casagrande (October 6, 2010). "Wide receiver Marquis Maze amazes Crimson Tide with wildcat pass". Ledger-Enquirer.
- "Bama teammates impressed with Maze's accuracy". The Anniston Star. October 6, 2010.
- Michael Casagrande (October 3, 2010). "Marquis Maze shows wildcat has some bite". Ledger-Enquirer.
- "Tide's Marquis Maze likes double duty as receiver, punt returner". Dothan Eagle (article also published in The Enterprise-Leader and McClatchy-Tribune Regional News). October 19, 2010.
- Izzy Gould (March 23, 2011). "Marquis Maze gave little thought to leaving Alabama for the NFL". The Birmingham News, Press-Register, and Huntsville Times.
- "Maze wants to fill void left by NFL-bound Jones". Birmingham News (same article also published by The Huntsville Times). March 26, 2011.
- "Maze seen as Alabama's top receiver". Decatur Daily. March 18, 2011.
- Ken Rogers (August 25, 2011). "Maze's versatility gives Tide offensive options". Dothan Eagle (same article also published by The Enterprise Leader and McClatchy-Tribune Regional News).
- Don Kausler, Jr. (August 21, 2011). "Marquis Maze gets kudos from Nick Saban on return duty at scrimmage". The Birmingham News.
- Don Kausler, Jr. (August 29, 2011). "Marquis Maze will return punts and kickoffs for Tide ... for now". The Birmingham News.
- Don Kausler, Jr. (August 16, 2011). "Checking in with Tide WR Marquis Maze". The Birmingham News.
- Don Kausler, Jr. (July 6, 2011). "Tide's Duron Carter, Darius Hanks and Marquis Maze are on the 2011 Biletnikoff Award watch list". The Birmingham News.
- Tony Tsoukalas (September 3, 2011). "Tide finds new weapon in Maze". The Crimson White.
- Edward Aschoff (September 5, 2011). "SEC players of the week: Week 1". ESPN.com.
- Jon Johnson (September 5, 2011). "Alabama notebook: Maze essential in Tide scheme". Dothan Eagle.
- Jim Dunn (September 5, 2011). "WR Maze ties school record for punt returns". CBSSports.com.
- "Punt Return Yards". CBSSports.com.
- Jon Johnson (September 24, 2011). "Alabama notebook: Maze punt return sparks Tide". Dothian Eagle.
- Kevin Scarbinsky (September 25, 2011). "Hot Corner: The amazing Marquis Maze". Birmingham News.
- Brian McAlister (September 26, 2011). "Maze's 83-yard punt return earns Alabama Play of the Week honors". al.com.
- Mark McCarter (September 25, 2011). "Alabama has a knack for bringing out the worst in its opponents". The Huntsville Times.
- "NCAA Division I-A Player Returning Statistics - 2011 (Punt Return Yards Leaders - All Players)". ESPN.com. Retrieved October 23, 2011.
- Ed Bouchette (April 29, 2012). "NFL Draft: Steelers' wants, needs mostly satisfied". post-gazette.com.