Robert Lester (American football)
Playing with Alabama in 2012.
|No. 38 Carolina Panthers|
|Date of birth:||August 30, 1988|
|Place of birth:||Foley, Alabama|
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||225 lb (102 kg)|
|High school:||Foley (AL)|
|Career highlights and awards|
Career NFL statistics as of 2013
|Stats at NFL.com|
Robert Lester (born April 30, 1988) is an American football safety for the Carolina Panthers. He signed as an undrafted free agent with the Panthers in 2013. He played his college football for the Alabama Crimson Tide.
As a freshman in 2009, Lester played in eight games, recording eight tackles. He played on special teams in the national championship game against Texas, but did not record a tackle. As a sophomore in 2010, Lester took over as a starter and had 52 tackles, eight interceptions and a sack.
As a junior in 2011, Lester started all 13 games at strong safety during the Crimson Tide's 2011 national championship season. He had 39 tackles, three pass breakups, a forced fumble, one tackle for loss, and a blocked field goal. He intercepted his first pass against Ole Miss and his second against LSU during the regular season. His eight interceptions in his Sophomore year tied Harry Gilmer (1946) for the second most in a single season in Alabama school history.
College career statistics
After going undrafted in the 2013 NFL Draft, Lester was signed as a free agent by the Carolina Panthers. He was released on August 31, 2013, during final cuts, but was then signed to the Panthers practice squad the next day. On September 17, 2013, Lester was elevated from the practice squad to the active roster after Charles Godfrey was lost for the season due to injury. He started at Strong Safety week 3 vs the New York Giants in his first NFL game, and Lester finished with 5 tackles, a pass deflection, a fumble recovery, and an interception. In his rookie season, Lester played in 12 games and started four games. He recorded 21 tackles, three interceptions, four passes defensed and one fumble recovery. Opposing quarterbacks had a 49.6 rating when throwing in Lester's direction in 2013.
- ESPN.com stats
- Alabama player profile
- Alabama player profile
- Kausler, Jr., Don (April 27, 2013). "Alabama draft recap: The Tide only did better in 1945, when there were 32 rounds". AL.com. Retrieved May 6, 2013.
- Inabinett, Mark (September 1, 2013). "Robert Lester back with Carolina Panthers as member of practice squad". AL.com. Retrieved September 2, 2013.
- Inabinett, Mark (September 17, 2013). "Carolina Panthers sign Robert Lester from practice squad". AL.com. Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- Henson, Max (August 30, 2014). "Panthers trim roster to 53". Panthers.com. Retrieved 2014-08-30.
- Strickland, Bryan (August 31, 2014). "Panthers sign 10 to practice squad". Panthers.com. Retrieved 2014-09-02.