Kalil during USC's pregame "Trojan Walk" in 2011; that season he earned the nickname "The Hammer" for blocking key field goals in two games.
|No. 75 Minnesota Vikings|
|Date of birth:||July 6, 1989|
|Place of birth:||Corona, California|
|Height:||6 ft 7 in (2.01 m)|
|Weight:||308 lb (140 kg)|
|High school:||Anaheim (CA) Servite|
|NFL draft:||2012 / Round: 1 / Pick: 4|
|Career highlights and awards|
Career NFL statistics as of 2014
Stats at NFL.com
Matt Kalil (born July 6, 1989) is an American football offensive tackle for the Minnesota Vikings of the National Football League (NFL). Kalil played college football for the University of Southern California, and was selected fourth overall in the 2012 NFL Draft by the Minnesota Vikings. He was chosen for the Pro Bowl following the 2012 NFL season.
High school career
Kalil attended Servite High School in Anaheim, California, where he played for the Servite Friars high school football team. Considered a five-star recruit by Rivals.com, Kalil was listed as the No. 3 offensive tackle in the class of 2008. He played in the 2008 U.S. Army All-American Bowl on a West squad that featured fellow USC offensive lineman Tyron Smith.
After redshirting his initial year at USC, Kalil served as backup to Tyron Smith at right tackle. He started against Boston College and performed well, and saw limited action in 11 other games (all but Arizona State) and played primarily on special teams. In his sophomore year, Kalil beat Smith to replace Charles Brown at left tackle, where he started all 13 games. He also played on the defensive line for special teams and blocked a point after touchdown against Notre Dame.
As a junior, Kalil retained his starting left tackle spot, helping the Trojans average 456.8 yards of total offense. The Trojans' offensive line only allowed an FBS-low eight sacks of quarterback Matt Barkley, none of which were allowed by Kalil. For his effort, Kalil was named to several All-American teams, while also becoming the 12th Trojan offensive lineman to win the Morris Trophy. Kalil was also semifinalist for the 2011 Lombardi Award.
2012 NFL Draft
Already after his sophomore year, Kalil was regarded as the best offensive tackle prospect for the 2012 NFL Draft. He declared for the draft on December 16. After a strong performance at the NFL Combine, Kalil was projected to be the No. 3 draft pick by the Minnesota Vikings. The Vikings eventually selected Kalil, but not until trading down to the No. 4 spot. They had not selected an offensive lineman in the first round since Bryant McKinnie in 2002.
Kalil was USC's fifth offensive lineman selected in the top-5 of an NFL Draft, after Ron Yary in 1968, Marvin Powell in 1977, Anthony Muñoz in 1980, and Tony Boselli in 1995. With Tyron Smith having been selected ninth overall in 2011, it also made USC the first school with consecutive top-10 selected offensive lineman since Texas' Leonard Davis (2001) and Mike Williams (2002).
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 6⅝ in||306 lb||34½ in||10⅜ in||4.99 s||1.70 s||4.65 s||7.33 s||27 in||30 reps|
|All values are from the NFL Combine|
Kalil was signed to a four-year contract by the Minnesota Vikings on July 26, 2012. He was selected to attend the Pro Bowl after Washington Redskins offensive tackle Trent Williams was injured during a night club fight.
His father, Frank, was a center at Arkansas and Arizona, and was drafted by the Buffalo Bills in 1982, before playing for the USFL's Arizona Wranglers in 1983 and Houston Gamblers in 1984. His brother Ryan was an All-American at Southern California, and plays with the Carolina Panthers.
- Jordan Moore, 6-Points: USC 23, Utah 14, USCTrojans.com, September 10, 2011, accessed March 17, 2012.
- Pauline, Tony (February 25, 2012). "Glenn, Kalil lead impressive group of offensive linemen at combine". Sports Illustrated.
- "Rivals.com offensive tackles 2008". Rivals.com. January 17, 2008.
- ESPN: Matt Kalil to enter 2012 draft
- Prisco, Pete (May 1, 2011). "Flash forward: Top 32 picks for the 2012 NFL Draft". CBSSports.com.
- Pauline, Tony (May 3, 2011). "Stanford's Luck headlines early look at top 2012 draft prospects". Sports Illustrated.
- Fowler, Jeremy (February 25, 2012). "As Matt Kalil's stock rises, so do Vikings' trade options". Pioneer Press.
- "NFL Draft coming into focus". Fox News. March 6, 2012.
- Banks, Don (March 23, 2012). "2012 NFL Mock Draft has Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin going in first two picks". SI.com.
- "Minnesota Vikings sign Matt Kalil". St. Paul Pioneer-Press. July 26, 2012.
- Kalil Selected To His First Pro Bowl
- Lev, Michael (September 29, 2010). "USC's Kalil takes it one kick-step at a time". The Orange County Register.
- Career statistics and player information from NFL.com • ESPN • Pro-Football-Reference
- Minnesota Vikings bio
- USC Trojans bio