|Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim – No. 52|
September 27, 1986 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|September 20, 2013 for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim|
(through June 3, 2014)
|Earned run average||3.44|
|Competitor for United States|
|Pan American Games|
|Silver||2011 Guadalajara||National team|
Matthew David "Matt" Shoemaker (born September 27, 1986) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of Major League Baseball. Prior to beginning his professional career, he played college baseball at Eastern Michigan University. Shoemaker has also competed for the United States national baseball team.
Shoemaker attended Trenton High School in Trenton, Michigan. He then enrolled at Eastern Michigan University (EMU), where he played college baseball for the Eastern Michigan Eagles baseball team in the Mid-American Conference (MAC) of the National Collegiate Athletic Association's (NCAA) Division I. In 2007, as a sophomore, he saved 14 games for EMU, and was named to the All-MAC's second team. He tied for fifth in NCAA Division I in saves, setting the EMU single-season record in the process. He moved back to the rotation in 2008, his junior season.
Undrafted out of college, Shoemaker played collegiate summer baseball in the Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League, where he was scouted and signed as a free agent by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. He was promoted to Class-AAA, the highest level in minor league baseball, two years later. In 2011, he was named Texas League Pitcher of the Year and Angels Minor League Pitcher of the Year, after leading the league with 12 wins, a 2.21 earned run average, and 1.03 walks plus hits per inning pitched. Shoemaker was invited to spring training with the Angels in 2012, receiving an opportunity to compete for the open fifth starter role for the Angels.
On September 15, 2013, the Angels promoted Shoemaker to the major leagues.
Shoemaker's beard has been the topic of much conversation. Comparisons have been made to Billy Mays, as well as allegations that Shoemaker and his beard are more powerful than Iron Man, Captain America, and Superman. The Arkansas Travelers commemorated Shoemaker's beard in T-shirt form, as well as a removable goatee.
- Eastern Michigan University Athletics - Baseball Hosts In-State Rival Central Michigan in MAC Tournament Quarterfinals
- California League notebook | MiLB.com News | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball
- Matt Shoemaker joins Kernels from Tempe - OurSports Central - Independent and Minor League Sports News
- Trout, Miller, Green among Texas Stars | MiLB.com News | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball
- Eastern Michigan University Athletics - Shoemaker Named LA Angels Minor League Pitcher of the Year
- Scioscia: Fifth-starter spot an open audition | angels.com: News
- Emrich, Robert (October 26, 2011). "Van Ostrand, Canada take Pan Am gold | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Minor League Baseball. Retrieved January 12, 2012.
- Hards, Bob (July 9, 2011). "Shoemaker Shuts Hounds Down".
- the first 1,000 adults get a free Matt Shoemaker Goatee Face T-Shirt
- WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 7 MATT SHOEMAKER GOATEE GIVEAWAY
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)