Williamson at the Factory Girl London premiere
23 October 1971 |
|Education||Central Saint Martin's College of Art and Design|
He was born in 1971 in Manchester, England, and studied in Manchester at Loreto College until he was 17. He then moved to London to attend school at Central Saint Martin's College of Art and Design, graduating in 1994.
His eponymous fashion house was founded in February 1997. That same year, Williamson debuted his collection 'Electric Angels' at London Fashion Week. His collections were displayed during New York Fashion week in 2002. His store in Mayfair, London, followed in 2004.
In 2005, he launched his own perfume range; the following year he was appointed Creative Director at Emilio Pucci. In 2007, a runway show of his designs was incorporated into the video for Prince's song "Chelsea Rodgers" from his Planet Earth album. In 2007, the Design Museum, London, hosted a restrospective of his work entitled "Matthew Williamson - 10 years in Fashion".
In 2008, Williamson was awarded the "Red Carpet Designer" accolade at the British Fashion Awards where he has also received three nominations for Designer of the Year. In September 2008 Matthew Williamson returned to London full-time in order to focus fully on his own label's forthcoming ventures and expansion. He made a guest appearance on season 7 of Project Runway. The episode aired on 28 January 2010.
In October 2010 it was announced that Matthew Williamson signed a new licensing deal with MBFG. The deal began a new line - Muse by Matthew Williamson. The new line is expected to be in stores for Fall 2011.
- Freeman, Hadley (17 February 2003). "Double vision". The Guardian.
- "Matthew Williamson". London Fashion Week. Retrieved 11 December 2012.
- Alexander, Hilary. "New York Fashion Week: Matthew Williamson". Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 11 December 2012.
- Milligan, Laura. "Today In History - April 29". Vogue. Retrieved 11 December 2012.
- "Matthew Williamson – 10 Years In Fashion". Easier Lifestyle. Retrieved 11 December 2012.
- "Red Carpet Designer 2008". British Fashion Awards. Retrieved 11 December 2012.
- "Fashion designer Matthew Williamson launches e-commerce site". UTalkMarketing. 18 May 2009.
- "Matthew Williamson to judge Project Runway; Nina Garcia "LA was almost impossible"". Sassybella.Com. 2010-01-27. Retrieved 2012-08-01.
- "Muse by Matthew Williamson Diffusion Line In The Works" Fashionlvr.com. 13 October 2010.
- Official Website
- Matthew Williamson at the Fashion Model Directory
- BBC Blast - Matthew Williamson
- Matthew Williamson @ The Design Museum