Miami Country Day School
|Miami Country Day School|
|Miami, Florida, USA
|Head of school||John P. Davies, Ed.D|
|Grades||JK to 12|
|Color(s)||Red, white and navy|
|Rival||Dade Christian School|
Miami Country Day School (MCDS) is a private, non-denominational, co-ed Preschool–12 college preparatory school near Miami Shores, just north of the city of Miami, Florida. The school has been named a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence.
Founded in 1938 by Luther B. Sommers, its original name was Miami Country Day and Resident School for Boys. The school was originally for grades one through eight, and a ninth grade was added in the 1960s. It was male boarding school through 1972, when it became a co-ed institution. It later expanded to include a high school, with the school's first senior class graduating in 1981. A kindergarten was added later.
The school's enrollment is approximately 1100 students. Class size in the Lower School ranges from 8-24 depending on grade level. Annual tuition varies by grade and ranges from $15,000 to $28,000.
The school has a large international student community. With more than 40% of its students born abroad (and more than 75% of parents born abroad), MCDS is one of the most international schools in Miami and features an extensive Spanish and French language department.
MCDS's team for the Junior Engineering Technical Society TEAMS competition has, for two years in a row, ranked nationally. In 2007 MCDS was the 1st place winner of the competition and in 2008 the JETS team placed 20th in their division.
MCDS values the education and experience of its community and tries to enhance the learning experience through a "Whole Child" philosophy as well as through the four core values: Honor, Respect, Compassion, and Wisdom. The Whole Child comprises six potentials, they are in rank of importance: Aesthetic, Social, Emotional, Intellectual, Physical, and Spiritual. These core values will drive everything, and they are there to help make quality members of the Miami Country Day School community. MCDS strives to build a strong community atmosphere, through engaging activities such as Red Wibbon Week and Multicultural Day.
- 2006 Varsity Football team had one of the Top 10 ranked offense in the state of Florida, regional playoffs appearance.
- The 2008 water polo team reached state semi-finals
- 2008 Girls Basketball team were regional finalists
- The Boys Varsity Soccer team has been district champion for three of the last four years
- 2007 Boys Lacrosse District Champions. Reached regional semi-finals.
- 2009 Girls Water Polo team won districts for the first time.
- 2009 Boys Varsity Basketball made it to the Regional Finals
- 2012-2013 Girls Varsity Soccer, District Champions.
- 2012-2013 Girls Basketball Team was ranked 8th in the State and 1st for their class at one point in time, finished runner up in State Championship Game
- 2013-2014 Boys Cross Country team ranked first in districts.
- 2013-2014 Girls Varsity Soccer, District Champions.
- 2013-2014 Florida 3A State Champions in Girls High School Basketball.
It is located on 16 acres (65,000 m2), which includes a 25 yard by 25 meter Aquatic Center and new Athletic fields with synthetic turf.
- Christian Gaddis, NFL player
- Zoe Kravitz, actress/singer
- Natasha Lyonne, actress
- Sandon Stolle, professional tennis player
- Briny Baird, PGA player
- Navi Rawat, actress on the CBS show Numb3rs
- Manny Diaz, defensive coordinator at the University of Texas
- Marco Rodriguez, A Grammy award winning music producer and 3 time world champion DJ
- Scot Drucker, MLB baseball, Oakland Athletics, Detroit Tigers
The school was featured in the December 2006 issue of W Magazine as Miami's "hot school".