Miami Country Day School
|Miami Country Day School,Inc|
|Miami, Florida, USA|
|Head of school||John P. Davies, Ed.D|
|Grades||JK to 12|
|Color(s)||Red, white and navy|
|Rival||Ransom Everglades School|
Miami Country Day School (MCDS) is a private, non-denominational, co-ed Preschool–12 college preparatory school near Miami Shores, just north of the city of Miami, Florida. The school has been named a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence.
Miami Country Day School began in 1938 as an elementary boarding school for boys and was founded by Luther B. Sommers. In the early years, the school was known as The Miami Country Day and Resident School for Boys. Through the 1950s and 1960s, day students were enrolled.
In the 1970s, Miami Country Day became co-educational and the boarding program was phased out. What had been the boarding rooms were converted into classrooms to make space for the growing student body. Originally a K-8 program, the school expanded to include an Upper School and graduated its first 12th grade class in 1981. The "Spartans" began to participate in a wide variety of competitive sports, playing for championships in everything from golf to soccer to swimming.
The school's enrollment is approximately 1230 students. Class size in the Lower School ranges from 8–24 depending on grade level. Annual tuition varies by grade and ranges from $27,000 to $35,000.
The school has a large international student community. With more than 40% of its students born abroad (and more than 75% of parents born abroad), MCDS is one of the most international schools in Miami and features an extensive Spanish and French language department.
MCDS's team for the Junior Engineering Technical Society TEAMS competition has, for two years in a row, ranked nationally. In 2007 MCDS was the 1st place winner of the competition and in 2008 the JETS team placed 20th in their division.
MCDS values the education and experience of its community and tries to enhance the learning experience through a "Whole Child" philosophy as well as through the four core values: Honor, Respect, Compassion, and Wisdom. The Whole Child comprises six potentials, they are in rank of importance: Aesthetic, Social, Emotional, Intellectual, Physical, and Spiritual. These core values will drive everything, and they are there to help make quality members of the Miami Country Day School community. MCDS strives to build a strong community atmosphere, through engaging activities such as Red Wibbon Week and Multicultural Day.
Chuck Sennett, Athletic Director Bryan Parizo, Assoc. Athletic Director Christopher Hayes, Middle School Athletic Director BJ Teltsher, Asst. Athletic Director Eric Craig T Nelson, Aquatic Director
- 2006 Varsity Football team had one of the Top 10 ranked offense in the state of Florida, regional playoffs appearance.
- 2013–2014 Florida 3A State Champions in Girls High School Basketball.
- 2013,2014 Girls Basketball-Coach Ochiel Swaby and Player Danielle Minott named Player and Coach of the year by Miami Herald
- 2014- Girls Basketball Team- Ranked #11 in the nation by USA Today December 2014
- The 2008 water polo team reached state semi-finals
- 2008 Girls Basketball team were regional finalists
- 2008- The Boys Varsity Soccer team has been district champion for three of the last four years
- Boys Lacrosse 2007 District Champions.
- Girls Water Polo 2009 districts champions
- Boys Varsity Basketball made it to the 1992, 2009 Regional Finals
- Girls Varsity Soccer, 1992, 2013 District Champions
- Girls Softball, 2006, 2014 District Champions
- 2013–2014 Girls/Boys Tennis , District Champions
- Girls Volleyball District Champions 2014, 2006,
- 2014 Boys/Girls Cross Country Teams ranked #9 in state of Florida
It is located on 21 acres (85,000 m2), which includes a 25 yard by 25 meter Aquatic Center and new Athletic fields and gymnasium with synthetic turf. A state of the art Media and resources center with a broadcast studio.
- Christian Gaddis, NFL player
- Zoe Kravitz, actress/singer
- Natasha Lyonne, actress
- Sandon Stolle, professional tennis player
- Briny Baird, PGA player
- Navi Rawat, actress on the CBS show Numb3rs
- Manny Diaz, defensive coordinator at the University of Texas
- Marco Rodriguez, A Grammy award winning music producer and 3 time world champion DJ
- Lele Pons, Internet Artist
- Michael Turchin, actor/artist
The school was featured in the December 2006 issue of W Magazine as Miami's "hot school".