Michael Ross (footballer)
|Full name||Michael Ross|
|Date of birth||16 September 1991|
|Original team||Gippsland Power, Warragul|
|Draft||80th overall, 2010
|Height/Weight||185 cm / 75 kg|
1 Playing statistics correct to end of 2012 season.
Ross originally played for the Warragul and then the Gippsland Power in the TAC Cup. He played 40 matches for Gippsland Power and averaged 21.4 disposals per game from his 14 appearances in 2010, the third highest average at the club. He was used mainly in the backline with his 4.1 rebound 50s per game a club-high. He has exceptional speed over 20 metres and was described in the press as a 'classy' and 'dashing' defender who set up a lot of positive play. In the 2010 TAC Cup Grand Final against the Calder Cannons, Ross gathered 30 possessions and 14 handball receives off half back and was clearly the Power's best in a side in which future Essendon teammate, Dyson Heppell, gathered 20 possessions.
Ross was drafted by Essendon in the 2010 AFL Draft, at pick number 80. Ross was flying back from a three week trip to Africa as the draft took place. "When I got back to Melbourne I turned the phone back on and was hoping for a message from Mum, but there was nothing. I walked off the plane ... and the whole family was standing there dressed in Bombers gear and cheering. It was pretty exciting."
Ross made his debut against Collingwood at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in Round 19, 2011 securing 19 disposals (9 kicks and 10 handballs), 2 marks, 1 goal contribute and 1 goal assist. He was the substitute player, though he played most of the game after Prismall was carried off with a knee injury in the first 5 minutes.
He was delisted by Essendon following the 2012 season.
Ross comes from the town of Garfield in Gippsland and is the grandson of South Melbourne VFL player Max Papley. His brother, Ben Ross, played 14 games at North Melbourne and is currently on the Hawthorn player list. Michael is a keen supercoach player, finishing 14th overall in 2012.
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
- Bryan Mitchell. Gippsland Power on to Finals. Latrobe Valley Express 19 Aug 2010 http://www.latrobevalleyexpress.com.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/gippsland-power-on-to-finals/1917769.aspx?storypage=0 (accessed 24 Sept 2011)
- Ben Guthrie. Canons Too Strong for the Power! AFL Victoria Sept 21 2010
- Justin Robertson (22 Sept 2010) Ross Plays Down Loss Packenham Berwick Gazette (accessed 24 Sept 2011)
- Matt Windley (27 Nov 2010) Michael Ross Forced to Wait Herald Sun (accessed 8 Aug 2010)
- Michael Ross to debut against Magpies
- Matt Murnane. Bombers Beaten By Substitution Rule. The Age 1 August 2011. http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-match-report/bombers-beaten-by-substitution-rule--and-pies-says-malthouse-20110731-1i6jv.html (accessed 6 Aug 2011)
- Dons turn to teenager
- "Michael Ross statistics". AFL Tables. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- "Michael Ross of the Essendon Bombers Career AFL Stats". Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- Michael Ross's statistics from AFL Tables