||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (July 2014)|
|Born||Michelle Denise Bernard
July 30, 1963
Washington, D.C., USA
|Residence||Montgomery County, Maryland|
|Education||Georgetown University Law Center
|Occupation||Journalist, Author, Lawyer, Columnist|
Bernard graduated from Howard University with a B.A. in Philosophy and a minor in Political Science. She has a J.D. degree from the Georgetown University Law Center, and was a partner at the lobbyist and law firm Patton Boggs. In 2000, she was a member of the Bush-Cheney Presidential Inaugural Committee. She was formerly President and CEO of Independent Women's Forum and Independent Women's Voice. She was the chair for the District of Columbia's Redevelopment Land Agency.
Bernard is a political and legal analyst for MSNBC, and is frequently a panelist on CNN and the The McLaughlin Group. She is also a contributor for the The Washington Post's "She the People," and the Huffington Post.
She is an Independent
She is a member of the Board of Trustees of Hampton University and sits on the Board of Directors of the Coalition for Opportunity in Education and the Executive Board of the International Women's Forum of Washington, D.C. where she is the Leadership Foundation Liaison. Additionally, she is a member of the Advisory Board of the American Board for Certification of Teacher Excellence, a speaker for the AEI Speaker's Bureau and the Washington Speaker's Bureau.
Her family heritage is Jamaican American, saying in an interview with Bill Steigerwald, "My parents are American citizens, but they come from Jamaica. I was raised with very American and Jamaican values. In our culture, we have a very strong sense of pride and of family honor and of self-reliance."
Bernard received the Anvil of Freedom Award for Journalism and Democracy from the University of Denver's Estlow International Center for Journalism & New Media on January 23, 2015. Also, she was named in the November 2014 of Essence Magazine as a Rising Star in their Money & Power list.
- Bernard, Michelle D. (2013), Moving America Toward Justice: The Lawyers' Committee For Civil Rights Under Law, 1963-2013, The Donning Company Publishers. ISBN 978-1-57864-849-8
- Bernard, Michelle D. (2007), Women’s Progress: How Women Are Wealthier, Healthier, and More Independent Than Ever Before, Spence Pub. ISBN 1-890626-69-4
- "Bernard, Michelle". Current Biography Yearbook 2011. Ipswich, MA: H.W. Wilson. 2011. pp. 65–67. ISBN 9780824211219.
- Ronnee Schreiber, 'Pro-Women, Pro-Palin, Antifeminist: Conservative Women and Conservative Movement Politics', in Crisis of Conservatism? The Republican Party, the Conservative Movement, & American Politics After Bush, Gillian Peele, Joel D. Aberbach (eds.), Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011, p. 135
- C-SPAN Q&A with Michelle Bernard. C-SPAN. 15 June 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-11
- Bernard, Michelle Smerconish transcript CNN.14 June 2014. Retrieved 20 August 2014
- Bernard, Michelle Congress cannot ignore violence against women in Syria. Washington Post September 6, 2013. Retrieved July 13, 2014
- Bernard, Michelle Amma Asante's 'Belle' May Lead to Real Freedom for Women Around the World. Huffington Post. May 14, 2014. Retrieved July 13, 2014
- Bernard, Michelle (23 January 2014). "HU to Host Town Hall Meeting". http://hamptonu.edu. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- Bernard, Michelle (12 December 2014). "ABOUT THE COALITION". http://opportunityined.org. Retrieved 12 December 2014.
- Bernard, Michelle (12 December 2014). "IWFDC Our Members - IWFDC". http://iwfdc.org. Retrieved 12 December 2014.
- Bernard, Michelle (12 December 2014). "ABCTE". http://abcte.org. Retrieved 12 December 2014.
- Bernard, Michelle. "Bernard Michelle - Bio of Bernard Michelle - AEI Speakers Bureau". http://www.aeispeakers.com. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- Bernard, Michelle. "Michelle Bernard - Washington Speaker's Bureau". http://www.washingtonspeakers.com/. Retrieved 19 August 2014.
- Bill Steigerwald, "Michelle Bernard Looks for the Right McCain" "Anderson Free Press" August 29, 2008 http://www.andersonfreepress.net/node/11642
- "Anvil of Freedom". http://estlow.org. 23 January 2015. Retrieved 7 February 2015.
- "Risings Stars: Michelle Bernard". http://essence.com. 2 October 2014.
- Bernard, Michelle (3 October 2013). "Single Mothers Are Not Responsible For A Decline In Newspaper Sales". Huffington Post. Retrieved 19 August 2014.
- Cook, John (9 April 2009). "Softball Interview Question Leads to Awkward Answer". Gawker. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "Michelle Bernard: 'The Republican Party Needs to Find Its Soul'". 9 April 2009. Archived from the original on 14 July 2014. Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- Hobbs, Christie (18 October 2005). "IWF Names New President". Independent Women's Forum. Archived from the original on 20 October 2007. Retrieved 23 December 2008.
- Bernard Center for Women, Politics & Public Policy
- Works by or about Michelle Bernard in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Michelle Bernard on Twitter
- Michelle Bernard, The War on Black Boys at Hubub.com
- Michelle Bernard, Women's Voices at Hubub.com
- Column archive at The Huffington Post
- Article archive at Sojourners