|Born||Melinda Heather Cohn
May 20, 1966
Los Angeles, California, USA
|Alma mater||Loyola Marymount University|
|Occupation||Actress, comedian, singer|
Melinda "Mindy" Heather Cohn (born May 20, 1966) is an American actress and comedian. She is known for her role as Natalie Green in The Facts of Life, and also for being the current voice of Velma Dinkley in the Scooby-Doo franchise, which she has held since 2002. She currently resides in Beverly Hills.
Early life and career
Cohn was born in Los Angeles, California. She was discovered by actress Charlotte Rae when Rae and other producers of The Facts of Life visited Westlake School in Bel Air, California, while doing research for the show. Cohn was cast in the role of Natalie and portrayed the character for the entire run of the series, from 1979 to 1988, as well in the reunion movie of 2001. The impact of her work on The Facts of Life was honored when she was ranked 43 on VH1's List of 100 Greatest Kids Stars.
Cohn has continued with her acting career outside of The Facts of Life. In 1984 she had a leading role as the daughter alongside Stockard Channing in RKO's video production of "Table Settings". In 1986, she appeared in The Boy Who Could Fly playing the part of 'Geneva'. She also had guest appearances in other popular TV shows such as in Charles In Charge in the episode "Bottle Baby" playing Buddy's sister Bunny, a young alcoholic, in 1988, as well as two guest appearances in the second season of the cop drama 21 Jump Street, in the episodes "Christmas In Saigon" in 1987 and "Chapel of Love" in 1988 playing Rosa.
In 2003 she was nominated for a Daytime Emmy Award for her work on the TV show What's New Scooby Doo?, for which she provided the voice of Velma Dinkley. She reprised her role of Velma on Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated along with several Scooby Doo movies.
Cohn said that one of the reasons she did The Facts of Life Reunion film in 2001 was because she claims that the actors in the long-running series have been wrongly denied a cut of the syndication and DVD profits from the series. "We all never got paid and still don't get paid for DVDs and reruns ... we felt we were owed."
On July 13, 2011, she appeared in an episode of Hot in Cleveland.
On March 26, 2012, she appeared on Secret Life of the American Teenager.
In addition to her acting career, she has earned a degree in cultural anthropology from Loyola Marymount University and is a founding member of the weSpark cancer support center. Cohn was raised Jewish.
- "This Weeks Picks". The Washington Post. 2004-03-07. p. Y03.
- "The Today Show". 2006-05-09.
- Molly Snyder Edler. "Milwaukee Talks Charlotte Rae". www.onmilwaukee.com. Retrieved 2007-06-23.
- "Facts of Life remain the Same". Toronto Star. 2001-11-18. p. D02.
- "VH1 Names Gary Coleman the Greatest Kid Star". http://www.prnewswire.com. 2005-06-05.
- "30th Daytime Emmy Awards". Washington Post. 2003-05-01. p. Y06.
- Ken Eisner (2007-06-20). "Sex and Death 101". www.variety.com. Retrieved 2007-06-23.
- Greg Hernandez (2008-03-11). "Mindy Cohn: Greg catches up w/Natalie from "The Facts of Life"". dailynews.com.
- "ABC Presskit for "The Facts of Life Reunion" movie". Retrieved 2007-06-23.
- "Our Founders". Retrieved 2007-06-23.
B. J. Ward
|Velma Dinkley Voice