Ministry of Health (Burma)
|Preceding Agency||Health Department|
|Annual budget||USD$ 18 million (2003)|
|Minister responsible||Dr. Pe Thet Khin|
|Child agencies||Department of Health Planning
Department of Health
Department of Medical Science
Department of Traditional Medicine
Departments of Medical Research (Lower, Central, Upper Myanmar)
National Health Committee
The Ministry of Health (Burmese: ကျန်းမာရေးဝန်ကြီးဌာန, Burmese pronunciation: [tɕáɴmàjé wʊ̀ɴdʑí tʰàna̰]; abbreviated MOH) is a national government-run ministry administering health affairs and health care in Burma, including all of the medical schools. It is one of the few civilian-headed ministries in Burma, and its current minister is Dr. Pe Thet Khin, who is assisted by two Union Deputy Ministers. Former health minister Dr. Kyaw Myint is now a parliament member of the Pyithu Hluttaw, representing the constituents of Mandalay Region's Chanayethazan Township.
During the second session of the Pyithu Hluttaw in August 2011, the Ministry of Health was allocated 3.5 billion kyat (USD $4.8 million) in the national budget, only 43% of health minister Pe Thet Khin requested.
The Ministry of Health is divided into departments, each headed by a Director-General.
- Department of Health Planning
- Department of Health
- Department of Medical Science
- Department of Medical Research (Lower Myanmar)
- Department of Medical Research (Upper Myanmar)
- Department of Medical Research (Central Myanmar)
- Department of Traditional Medicine
- Department of Food and Drug Administration
Department of Medical Science is controlling body of following universities in 2014.
- University of Medicine 1, Yangon
- University of Medicine 2, Yangon
- University of Medicine, Mandalay
- University of Medicine, Magway
- University of Dental Medicine, Yangon
- University of Dental Medicine, Mandalay
- University of Public Health, Yangon
- University of Community Health, Magway
- University of Nursing, Yangon
- University of Nursing, Mandalay
- University of Medical Technology, Yangon
- University of Medical Technology, Mandalay
- University of Pharmacy, Yangon
- University of Pharmacy, Mandalay
List of heads
- E Maung
- Myanaung U Tin
- Khin Kyi
- Dr. Pe Thein (1988–1997)
- Major-General Ket Sein (1997–2003)
- Dr. Kyaw Myint (2003 – March 2011)
- Dr. Pe Thet Khin (March 2011 – present)
- Beyrer C, Suwanvanichkij V, Mullany LC, et al. (October 2006). "Responding to AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria, and emerging infectious diseases in Burma: dilemmas of policy and practice". PLoS Med. 3 (10): e393. doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.0030393. PMC 1592343. PMID 17032061.
- "Ministry of Health". Health in Myanmar 2011. Ministry of Health, Myanmar. 2011. Retrieved 27 July 2011.
- Soe Than Lynn and Shwe Yinn Mar Oo (28 March 2011). "Commission plans to hold by-elections by November: chairman". The Myanmar Times. Retrieved 27 July 2011.
- Myo Thant (23 August 2011). "Burmese Health Ministry gets less than half of required budget". Mizzima News. Retrieved 25 August 2011.