|Text||New Testament (except Rev)|
|Now at||Bibliothèque nationale de France|
|Size||14.5 cm by 10.5 cm|
|Type||Alexandrian / Byzantine
close to Minuscule 4
Minuscule 6 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering), δ 356 (Soden). It is a Greek minuscule manuscript of the New Testament, on 235 parchment leaves (14.4 cm by 10.5 cm), dated palaeographically to the 13th century. The manuscript has complex contents and full marginalia. It was adapted for liturgical use.
The codex contains entire of the New Testament except the Book of Revelation (Catholic epistles placed before Pauline epistles) with some lacunae. The text is written in one column per page, 29-47 lines per page. It is written in elegant small letters.
The text is divided according to the κεφαλαια (chapters), whose numbers are given at the margin, and their τιτλοι (titles) at the top of the pages. The text of Gospels is also divided according to the smaller Ammonian Sections (Matthew 356, Mark 234 – the last section in 16:9, Luke 342, John 226).
It contains Prolegomena, the tables of the κεφαλαια (tables of contents) are placed before each book; it contains synaxaria, the Euthalian Apparatus, and ornamentations. At the end it has liturgy of Chrysostomos. Subscriptions at the end of each book with numbers of στιχοι were added by a later hand.
The Greek text of Catholic epistles and Pauline epistles of this codex is a representative of the Alexandrian text-type, with numerous alien readings. Aland placed it in Category III. This text belongs to the textual Family 1739. In rest of books of New Testament (Gospels and Acts) it is a representative of the Byzantine text-type, it close to the codex 4. Aland placed it in Category V.
- Romans 3:12 omit ουκ εστιν — B, 6, 424**, 1739
- 1 Corinthians 1:14 omit τω θεω — א* B, 6, 424**, 1739
- 1 Corinthians 7:5 it reads τη προσευχη (prayer) along with 11, 46, א*, A, B, C, D, F, G, P, Ψ, 33, 81, 104, 181, 629, 630, 1739, 1877, 1881, 1962, it vg, cop, arm, eth. Other manuscripts read τη νηστεια και τη προσευχη (fasting and prayer) or τη προσευχη και νηστεια (prayer and fasting).
- Galatians 1:15 omit και καλεσας δια της χαριτος αυτου — P46, 6, 424**, 1739, 1881
- Ephesians 1:1 omit εν εφεσω — P46, B, 6, 424**, 1739
- Ephesians 4:28 omit ταις (ιδιαις) χερσιν — P, 6, 424**, 1739, 1881
- Ephesians 5:31 omit και προσκολληθησεται προς την γυναικα αυτου — 6, 1739*, Origen, Jerome
- 1 Timothy 3:14 omit προς σε (εν) — (F, G), 6, 263, 424**, 1739, 1881
- 2 Timothy 4:8 omit πασσι — D**, 6, 424**, (1739), 1881, lat Ambrosiaster
- Hebrews 5:12 omit τινα — Uncial 075, 6, 424**, 1739, 1881
- Jude 12 it reads ευωχιαις, majority read αγαπαις – majority.
The manuscript once belonged to Fontainebleau. It was used by Robert Estienne in his Editio Regia, and designated by him as ε'. It was examined by Wettstein, Griesbach, and Scholz (only Matthew, Mark 1-4, John 7), and C. R. Gregory (in 1885). It was examined and described by Paulin Martin. Gregory saw the manuscript in 1885.
Wettstein gave the number 6 to it. This number is still in use.
See also 
- Gregory, Caspar René (1908). Die griechischen Handschriften des Neuen Testament. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. p. 48.
- K. Aland, M. Welte, B. Köster, K. Junack, Kurzgefasste Liste der griechischen Handschriften des Neues Testaments, Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, New York 1994, p. 47.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments 1. Leipzig: J.C. Hinrichs’sche Buchhandlung. p. 129.
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose; Edward Miller (1894). A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament 1 (4 ed.). London: George Bell & Sons. p. 191.
- NA26, p. 556.
- Aland, Kurt; Barbara Aland; Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.) (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 129. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- Wisse, Frederik (1982). The Profile Method for the Classification and Evaluation of Manuscript Evidence, as Applied to the Continuous Greek Text of the Gospel of Luke. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 53. ISBN 0-8028-1918-4.
- NA26, p. 450.
- UBS3, p. 591.
- Jean-Pierre-Paul Martin, Description technique des manuscrits grecs, relatif au Nouveau Testament, conservé dans les bibliothèques des Paris (Paris 1883), p. 20
- Kurt Aland, "Synopsis Quattuor Evangeliorum. Locis parallelis evangeliorum apocryphorum et patrum adhibitis edidit", Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft, Stuttgart 1996, p. XXVII.
- "Liste Handschriften". Münster: Institute for New Testament Textual Research. Retrieved 2013-05-01.
Further reading 
- J. Neville Birdsall, A Study of Manuscript 1739 and its Relationship to MSS. 6, 424, 1908, and M, (unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, 1959).
- Minuscule 6 at the Encyclopedia of Textual Criticism