Modern Family (season 5)
|Modern Family season 5|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||24|
|Original run||September 25, 2013– May 21, 2014|
|Home video release|
|Region 1||September 23, 2014|
|Region 2||September 15, 2014|
|List of Modern Family episodes|
On May 10, 2013, Modern Family was renewed for a fifth season. The first episode, "Suddenly Last Summer", which premiered on September 25, 2013, on ABC, made reference to the newly legalized same-sex marriage in California. The writers said that a wedding for Mitch and Cam was a "real possibility". In January 2014, it was announced that Modern Family's vacation episode would take place in Australia this season.
Modern Family employs an ensemble cast. The series focuses on Jay Pritchett (Ed O'Neill), his daughter Claire Dunphy (Julie Bowen), and his son Mitchell Pritchett (Jesse Tyler Ferguson) who live in Los Angeles. Claire is a homemaker married to Phil Dunphy (Ty Burrell); they have three children, Haley (Sarah Hyland), a young adult concerned most with popularity and boys, Alex (Ariel Winter), the smart middle child, and Luke (Nolan Gould), the offbeat only son. Jay is married to a much younger Colombian woman, Gloria (Sofía Vergara), and is helping her raise her teen son, Manny (Rico Rodriguez). Mitchell and his partner Cameron Tucker (Eric Stonestreet) have adopted a Vietnamese baby, Lily (Aubrey Anderson-Emmons).
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Production
|97||1||"Suddenly, Last Summer"||James Bagdonas||Jeffrey Richman||September 25, 2013||5ARG01||11.68|
|As gay marriage is legalized in California, Mitch and Cam plan their perfect proposals, not realizing that the other has something planned. Cam calls for the help of Jay and Gloria and Mitch rallies Claire and Phil to help make their evening perfect.|
|98||2||"First Days"||Steven Levitan||Paul Corrigan & Brad Walsh||September 25, 2013||5ARG02||11.68|
|It's Manny and Luke's first day at high school and both Phil and Gloria don't want to let their sons go. Confiding in each other, Phil and Gloria end up as extras in a commercial. Elsewhere, Claire joins Jay's company and Cam subs as Alex's history teacher, who both have issues in their new positions.|
|99||3||"Larry's Wife"||Jeffrey Walker||Bill Wrubel||October 2, 2013||5ARG05||11.12|
|Cam and Mitch start planning their wedding; Lily is worried about her cat, Larry, who hasn't come home for days; Phil has a new target group of clients; and Gloria is worried about little Joe being evil after some things he did.|
|100||4||"Farm Strong"||Alisa Statman||Elaine Ko||October 9, 2013||5ARG04||10.64|
|Cam's sister Pam (guest star by Dana Powell) comes for a visit and Cam and Mitch struggle on how to tell her they are getting married; Phil and Claire skip Luke's soccer game while Gloria refuses to admit that she needs reading glasses.|
|101||5||"The Late Show"||Beth McCarthy-Miller||Abraham Higginbotham||October 16, 2013||5ARG06||10.94|
|Jay has made reservations for the whole family at a new restaurant that he has waited to go to for months. However, everyone seems to be running late: Gloria takes forever to get ready, Claire becomes paranoid about letting Luke stay home alone and Cam and Mitch fight after they both wear the same outfit. Elsewhere, Alex babysits Lily; and Haley spends the night with Manny and Joe.|
|102||6||"The Help"||Jim Hensz||Danny Zuker||October 23, 2013||5ARG07||10.32|
|Gloria tries to find a new nanny for little Joe and ends up hiring a male nanny — something that Jay and Manny don't like; Phil's dad, Frank, stays with the Dunphys for a while after his break-up; Cam and Mitch ask their friend Pepper to plan their wedding.|
|103||7||"A Fair to Remember"||Beth McCarthy-Miller||Emily Spivey||November 13, 2013||5ARG09||10.75|
|The whole family heads to the school fair where everyone gets something to do; Haley stays back home to enjoy Jay and Gloria's pool and the sun but is interrupted by the presence of Andy.|
|104||8||"ClosetCon '13"||Fred Savage||Ben Karlin||November 20, 2013||5ARG08||10.19|
|Claire and Jay attend a Closet Convention; Phil discovers what Jay is hiding in his secret closet; Mitch and Cam visit Cam's hometown. Alex and Haley fight over the local pizza delivery boy but soon become tangled in an even much bigger mess.|
|105||9||"The Big Game"||Beth McCarthy-Miller||Megan Ganz||December 4, 2013||5ARG03||9.47|
|Cam gets ready to coach an important football game that could break a record, but his intensity blocks out the fact that the other team is at a disadvantage. Mitchell tries to quit his job, Phil desperately tries to sell a house, and Claire doesn't want her father's help at work. Haley tries to fix the fact that Alex is ignored amongst her fellow students.|
|106||10||"The Old Man & the Tree"||Bryan Cranston||Paul Corrigan & Brad Walsh||December 11, 2013||5ARG10||10.61|
|Jay takes Manny out to cut down their own Christmas tree, and Gloria is on edge with mum in town, but changes her tune when she sees her bonding with Claire. Elsewhere, Mitchell is forced to do last minute shopping when they didn't get Lily the right gift, and Cameron takes Lily to a charity event where they experience the true meaning of Christmas.|
|107||11||"And One to Grow On"||Gail Mancuso||Jeffrey Richman||January 8, 2014||5ARG12||9.51|
|Phil tricks Luke into taking a dance class, but the joke's on him when the white lie indirectly lands him in the slammer. Meanwhile, Jay and Gloria are throwing birthday parties for both Manny and Joe and are concerned Manny might be going for girls out of his league; Mitch and Cam get a rude awakening in the cutthroat world of booking a wedding venue.|
|108||12||"Under Pressure"||James Bagdonas||Elaine Ko||January 15, 2014||5ARG11||9.14|
|Claire suffers from pressure during the high school open house, while Jay teaches Phil how to play hookie. Gloria butts heads with a fellow mom (Jane Krakowski), Luke and Manny date twins, Mitch meets his new environmentally-conscious neighbor (Jesse Eisenberg) and Alex goes to see a therapist.|
|109||13||"Three Dinners"||Steven Levitan||Abraham Higginbotham, Steven Levitan & Jeffrey Richman||January 22, 2014||5ARG15||9.59|
|Phil and Claire take Haley out to dinner to discuss her future, but she manages to turn the tables. Jay’s friend Shorty and wife Darlene are back visiting, and they have some news that does not sit well with Jay. Mitch and Cam decide to have a nice romantic dinner date, where they don’t talk about the wedding or about Lily, leading to a lot of awkward silence.|
|110||14||"iSpy"||Gail Mancuso||Abraham Higginbotham||February 5, 2014||5ARG13||9.87|
|Claire and Phil try to spy on Luke to see where he is going while they ask Alex to spy on Haley, where they learn about the photograph exhibition Haley is taking part in. Mitch tries to hide a piece of gossip from Cam with little success and Gloria thinks that Jay was dreaming about another woman in his sleep.|
|111||15||"The Feud"||Ryan Case||Story by: Christopher Lloyd
Teleplay by: Dan O'Shannon
|February 26, 2014||5ARG14||8.52|
|Jay, Phil, and Luke find out unfavourable men in each of their lives are more connected than previously thought as they arrive at Luke's wrestling match. Claire catches lice from Lily after Mitch and Cam fail to warn her in order to get Lily picked up from school as a favor. Haley and Alex battle with a possum. Manny is ashamed of Gloria's presence at a museum class trip.|
|112||16||"Spring-a-Ding-Fling"||Gail Mancuso||Ben Karlin||March 5, 2014||5ARG16||9.22|
|Much to her chagrin, Haley has to accompany Phil at a realtor's banquet. Cam feels excluded when a popular Spanish teacher returns and has to call Claire for help. Luke and Alex have dates. Mitch misinterprets his new boss's signs. Gloria and Jay babysit Lily.|
|113||17||"Other People's Children"||Jim Hensz||Megan Ganz||March 12, 2014||5ARG17||9.39|
|Jay decides to initiate Luke into woodworking. Meanwhile, Claire and Gloria help Lily choose a flower girl dress for her fathers' wedding. Cam, Mitch, Alex and Manny take a cultural day at the museum. Phil decides to help Andy create an elaborate video to celebrate his anniversary with his girlfriend.|
|114||18||"Las Vegas"||Gail Mancuso||Paul Corrigan & Brad Walsh & Bill Wrubel||March 26, 2014||5ARG18||10.09|
|The adults take a trip to Vegas in which Jay tries to obtain the best room. Claire rekindles her gambling addiction while Cam attends Mitch's ex's bachelor party. Gloria tries to hide a female version of the dog Butler. Phil presents his case to enter a secret yet prestigious magic society. Patton Oswalt, Stephen Merchant, and Fred Armisen guest star.|
|115||19||"A Hard Jay's Night"||Beth McCarthy-Miller||Megan Ganz & Ben Karlin||April 2, 2014||5ARG20||9.00|
|Mitch struggles to hide his genuine feelings about an unflattering wedding topper Cam's father made; Phil tries to help Gloria sell the apartment she had before Jay but they get sidetracked at a salon; Jay wants to host a nice family evening.|
|116||20||"Australia"||Steven Levitan||Elaine Ko & Danny Zuker||April 23, 2014||5ARG21||9.59|
|The family travels to Australia as Phil tries to fulfill his mother's wish for him to visit the country where he was conceived. Unfortunately, Phil's attempts to embrace his native land are met by a lot of rejection, while Jay and Claire let work eat into vacation time, and Mitch and Cam get reacquainted with an old friend (Rhys Darby).|
|117||21||"Sleeper"||Ryan Case||Paul Corrigan, Brad Walsh & Bill Wrubel||April 30, 2014||5ARG22||8.39|
|Phil fails at his one task to stay home and wait for the repairman, forcing him to tell an elaborate lie to hide the truth from Claire, but the stress is more than he can physically handle. Meanwhile, Gloria is obsessing over the family portrait she is responsible for organizing this year. Claire accuses Cam of being too snobby to use her girls' hand-me-downs, and Jay secretly enters Stella in a dog show.|
|118||22||"Message Received"||Jeffrey Walker||Steven Levitan||May 7, 2014||5ARG19||8.55|
|Jay, Gloria and Manny challenge each other to step through their comfort zone. Mitch and Cam's wedding is getting too big and costly so they resort to selling a couple of their prized possessions, and the kids play a joke on Phil and Claire.|
|119||23||"The Wedding (Part 1)"||Steven Levitan||Abraham Higginbotham, Ben Karlin & Jeffrey Richman||May 14, 2014||5ARG23||9.08|
|Cam and Mitchell's wedding arrives, but their big day gets questioned when things go wrong. Gloria and Jay give relationship advice's to Cam's parents, and things take turn for the unexpected. Phil and Claire get to know the kids better and Haley puts herself in the middle of a relationship breakup.|
|120||24||"The Wedding (Part 2)"||Alisa Statman||Megan Ganz, Christopher Lloyd & Dan O'Shannon||May 21, 2014||5ARG24||10.45|
|When Cam and Mitchell's wedding day goes awry the plans fall to Pepper as he finds a nice place to relocate the wedding and everyone there. Jay and Gloria convince Cam's parents not to split up.|
The fifth season of Modern Family received mixed reviews from television critics. While episodes like "Larry's Wife", " Australia" and "Sleeper" were negatively received, others like "The Old Man & the Tree," "Las Vegas," and "Message Received" premiered to high acclaim, with the latter two frequently cited among the show's best episodes.  
Reviewing the season's first eight episodes, Matthew Wolfson of Slant Magazine wrote that the show "appear[ed] to have finally arrived at the depressing and predictable low point toward which it [had] been trending for the past two years." He also went on to say that the show had "turned into a shrill pastiche of stereotypical characterizations and superficial banter lacking both feeling and wit", assigning it a rating of 1.5/4 stars. Different writers for The A.V. Club rated, in total, a majority of the former-half episodes with a "B-" grade or less. One writer for the magazine, Joshua Alston, gave "ClosetCon '13" a "C+" and remarked that "Modern Family becomes a high-wire act when it separates its characters into three storylines with no overlap between them." The second-half was more warmly received, with three episodes rated an "A-" or higher.
Despite the somewhat mixed reception for the season, Aubrey Anderson-Emmons's performance as Lily received positive reviews. In his review of "The Help", Joe Reid, writing for The A.V. Club, called Lily a "veritable one-liner machine". Reviewing the same episode, Leigh Raines of TV Fanatic said that the funniest part of the half-hour was "Lily at the end rolling her eyes and banging her head on the table listening to Cam, Mitchell and Pepper arguing over wedding plans".
Awards and nominations
Primetime Emmy Awards
The fifth season received ten nominations at the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards in total, including its fifth consecutive nomination for Outstanding Comedy Series. The ceremony for the Primetime Awards will air on August 25, 2013 on CBS while the Primetime Creative Arts Awards will take place on August 16, 2013.
|2014||Outstanding Comedy Series||Modern Family||Pending|
|Outstanding Supporting Actor
in Comedy Series
|Ty Burrell||Role: Phil Dunphy
|Jesse Tyler Ferguson||Role: Mitchell Pritchett
Episode: Message Received
|Outstanding Supporting Actress
in Comedy Series
|Julie Bowen||Role: Claire Dunphy
Episode: The Feud
for a Comedy Series
|Gail Mancuso||Episode: "Las Vegas"||Pending|
|Primetime Creative Arts Awards|
for a Comedy Series
|Outstanding Guest Actor
in a Comedy Series
|Nathan Lane||Role: Pepper Saltzman
Episode: "The Wedding (Part 2)"
|Outstanding Single-Camera Picture
Editing for a Comedy Series
|Ryan Case||Episode: "Las Vegas"||Pending|
|Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Comedy
or Drama Series (Half-Hour) and Animation
|Stephen A. Tibbo, Dean Okrand & Brian R. Harman||Episode: "The Wedding (Part 1)"||Pending|
|Outstanding Art Direction for a Contemporary Program||Episode: "Las Vegas"||Pending|
- Lambert, David (July 18, 2014). "Modern Family - Release Date, Extras, and More for 'The Complete 5th Season' on DVD". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved July 18, 2014.
- "Modern Family - Season 5 [DVD]". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- Goldberg, Lesley; Rose, Lacey (May 10, 2013). "ABC Renews 'Scandal,' 'Grey's,' 'Modern Family,' 'Suburgatory,' 'Revenge,' 'Once,' 'Castle,' 'Nashville,' 'Neighbors,' 'Middle'". The Live Feed. The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 24, 2013.
- Reporter (August 15, 2013). "'Modern Family' Season 5 Premiere Deals with Same-Sex Marriage Ruling, Revealed at Table Read". Enstars.
- Idato, Michael (January 9, 2014). "Modern Family confirms it is flying to Australia to shoot episode". The Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. Retrieved January 18, 2014.
- "Haley (Sarah Hyland) Bio". Retrieved September 4, 2010.
- "Alex (Ariel Winter) Bio". Retrieved September 4, 2010.
- "Luke (Nolan Gould) Bio". Retrieved September 4, 2010.
- Kondolojy, Amanda. "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'The Middle', 'Modern Family' and 'Survivor' Adjusted Up; 'Nashville' & 'CSI' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 26, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (October 3, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Revolution', 'Survivor', 'The Middle', & 'Back In The Game' Adjusted Up; 'Ironside' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 3, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda. "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Survivor', 'Back in the Game', 'Modern Family' and 'The Tomorrow People' Adjusted Up; 'Nashville' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 10, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (October 17, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Modern Family', 'Law & Order:SVU', 'Survivor', 'Toy Story of TERROR!' & 'Back In The Game' Adjusted Up; 'Nashville' & 'Ironside' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (October 24, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Survivor', 'The Middle', 'Modern Family' & 'The Tomorrow People' Adjusted Up; 'Super Fun Night' Adjusted Down + Final World Series Numbers". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 24, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (November 14, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Revolution', 'Arrow', 'The Middle' & 'Survivor Adjusted Up; 'Super Fun Night' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 14, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (November 21, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'The X Factor', 'Modern Family', 'Arrow', 'Survivor' & 'The Middle' Adjusted Up; 'Super Fun Night' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved November 22, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (December 5, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Arrow' & 'Modern Family' Adjusted Up; 'The Tomorrow People' & 'Super Fun Night' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (December 12, 2013). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'The Middle' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (January 9, 2014). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'People's Choice Awards' Adjusted Up; 'Revolution' & 'Super Fun Night' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 9, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (January 16, 2014). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'American Idol' Adjusted Up; 'Law and Order: SVU', 'The Tomorrow People' & 'Super Fun Night' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (January 23, 2014). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Arrow' & 'The Middle' Adjusted Up; 'Modern Family' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved January 23, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (February 6, 2014). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Super Fun NIght' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 6, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (February 27, 2014). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'American Idol' & 'Nashville' Adjusted Up; 'Survivor', 'The Middle', 'Mixology', 'Suburgatory' & 'Criminal Minds' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (March 6, 2014). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Modern Family', 'Mixology' & 'Nashville' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 6, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (March 13, 2014). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'The Middle', 'Suburgatory' & 'Modern Family' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 13, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (March 27, 2014). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'American Idol', 'Modern Family' & 'Suburgatory' Adjusted Up; 'Mixology' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (April 3, 2014). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Survivor', 'The Middle', 'Suburgatory', 'Modern Family' & 'Criminal Minds' Adjusted Up; 'CSI' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 3, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (April 24, 2014). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Survivor', 'The Middle', 'Suburgatory' & 'Modern Family' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 24, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (May 1, 2014). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Survivor', 'American Idol' & 'Suburgatory' Adjusted Up; 'Revolution' & 'CSI' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 1, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (May 8, 2014). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'The Middle', 'Arrow', 'American Idol', 'Modern Family', 'Law & Order: SVU' & 'Suburgatory' Adjusted Up". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 8, 2014.
- Bibel, Sara (May 15, 2014). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Revolution', 'Arrow', 'Survivor', 'Suburgatory', 'Modern Family' & 'Law & Order: SVU' Adjusted Up; 'Chicago P.D.' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 15, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (May 22, 2014). "Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Survivor', 'The Middle' & 'Modern Family' Adjusted Up; 'Survivor' Reunion Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved May 22, 2014.
- Raines, Leigh (March 26, 2014). "Modern Family Review: What Happens In Vegas". TV Fanatic. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- Alston, Joshua (May 8, 2014). "Modern Family: "Message Received"". The A.V. Club. Retrieved May 8, 2014.
- "Modern Family: Season Five". Slant Magazine. November 6, 2013. Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- "Modern Family: "Closet Con '13"". The A.V. Club. November 21, 2013. Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- "Modern Family: "The Help"". The A.V. Club. October 24, 2013. Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- "Modern Family Review: A New Manny". TV Fanatic. October 24, 2013. Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- "Modern Family Emmys". Emmys official site - Archive.
- "Save the Date: Primetime Emmys Airs on Aug. 25". Emmys. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- Episode recaps at ABC.com
- List of Modern Family episodes at the Internet Movie Database
- List of Modern Family season 5 episodes at TV.com