Municipality of Lane Cove
|Municipality of Lane Cove
New South Wales
Location in Metropolitan Sydney
|Population||31,510 (2011 census)|
|• Density||2,864.5/km2 (7,419/sq mi)|
|Area||11 km2 (4.2 sq mi)|
|Mayor||David Brooks-Horn (Liberal)|
|Council seat||Lane Cove|
|Federal Division(s)||North Sydney|
|Website||Municipality of Lane Cove|
The Municipality of Lane Cove is a local government area located in the south-west corner of the north shore of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. The administrative seat of Lane Cove is located about 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) north-west of the Sydney central business district. The Lane Cove River borders the area's south, with the eastern part of Hunter's Hill across that river. The area extends westward to Ryde, with Willoughby to the north and North Sydney to the east.
Suburbs and localities in the local government area
Suburbs in the Municipality of Lane Cove are:
Localities in the municipality are:
At the 2011 Census, there were 31,510 people in the Lane Cove local government area, of these 48.4% were male and 51.6% were female. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people made up 0.3% of the population. The median age of people in the Municipality of Lane Cove was 37 years. Children aged 0 – 14 years made up 18.9% of the population and people aged 65 years and over made up 13.4% of the population. Of people in the area aged 15 years and over, 52.2% were married and 9.2% were either divorced or separated.
Population growth in the Municipality of Lane Cove between the 2001 Census and the 2006 Census was 0.29%; and in the subsequent five years to the 2011 Census, population growth was 3.44%. When compared with total population growth of Australia for the same periods, being 5.78% and 8.32% respectively, population growth in Lane Cove local government area was significantly lower than the national average. The median weekly income for residents within the Municipality of Lane Cove was significantly higher than the national average.
|Selected historical census data for Lane Cove local government area|
|Population||Estimated residents on Census night||30,340||30,427||31,510|
|LGA rank in terms of size within New South Wales|
|% of New South Wales population||0.81%|
|% of Australian population||0.27%||0.26%||0.26%|
|Cultural and language diversity|
(other than English)
|Median weekly incomes|
|Personal income||Median weekly personal income||A$811||A$970|
|% of Australian median income||174.0%||168.1%|
|Family income||Median weekly family income||A$1,729||A$2,637|
|% of Australian median income||168.4%||178.1%|
|Household income||Median weekly household income||A$2,295||A$2,181|
|% of Australian median income||196.0%||176.7%|
Current composition and election method
Lane Cove Municipal Council is composed of nine Councillors elected proportionally as three separate wards, each ward electing three Councillors. All Councillors are elected for a fixed four-year term of office. The Mayor is elected by the Councillors at the first meeting of the Council. The most recent election was held on 8 September 2012, and the makeup of the Council is as follows:
|Liberal Party of Australia||6|
The current Council, elected in 2012, in order of election by ward, is:
|Central Ward||Deborah Hutchens||Liberal|
|Soo-Tee Cheong||Liberal||Deputy Mayor|
|East Ward||David Brooks-Horn||Liberal|
|West Ward||Scott Bennison||Liberal||Mayor|
Notable former or current residents
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (November 2012)|
- Lachlan Bennett - semi-famous architect
- Anthony Kidman - father to Nicole Kidman, a [Psychologist]
- Nicole Kidman - Lived in Greenwich
- Lloyd Rees - artist
- Brett Whiteley - artist
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Lane Cove (A)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (9 March 2006). "Lane Cove (A)". 2001 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Lane Cove (A)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "Vote Tracker: Central Ward" (PDF). Local Government Elections 2012. Lane Cove Municipal Council. 11 September 2012. p. 39. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Vote Tracker: East Ward" (PDF). Local Government Elections 2012. Lane Cove Municipal Council. 11 September 2012. p. 53. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Vote Tracker: West Ward" (PDF). Local Government Elections 2012. Lane Cove Municipal Council. 11 September 2012. p. 60. Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- Chen, Torin (18 September 2013). "Councillor David Brooks-Horn elected new Mayor of Lane Cove Council". North Shore Times. Retrieved 13 May 2014.