Melford grew up in the Chicago area. Based in New York City since the mid 80s, Melford has played with Henry Threadgill, in addition to leading her own bands including players such as trumpeters Dave Douglas and Cuong Vu, reed players Marty Ehrlich and Chris Speed, bassists Lindsey Horner and Stomu Takeishi, drummers Michael Sarin and Kenny Wolleson, and cellist Erik Friedlander.
In addition she has played in a leaderless trio called Equal Interest which included Joseph Jarman of the Art Ensemble of Chicago and the late AACM violinist Leroy Jenkins, and has played in duos with Marty Ehrlich, Dutch percussionist Han Bennink and flutist Marion Brandis.
She is currently teaching at the University of California, Berkeley.
- Alive in the House of Saints (1993)
- Even the Sounds Shine (1995)
- The Same River, Twice (1996)
- Dance Beyond the Color (2000)
- The Image of Your Body (2006)
- The Whole Tree Gone (2010)
With Alex Cline
- For People in Sorrow (Cryptogramophone, 2013)
- Zorn, John, ed. (2000). Arcana: Musicians on Music. New York: Granary Books/Hips Road. ISBN 1-887123-27-X.
- Myra Melford's official website
- Allmusic Guide biography of Myra Melford by Chris Kelsey
- Myra Melford video interview at Allaboutjazz.com