Skills & Talent Development Company
|Traded as||BSE: 500304
|Founder||Rajendra S. Pawar
Vijay K. Thadani
|Rajendra Singh Pawar (Chairman & MD)
Vijay Kumar Thadani (CEO)
P.Rajendran (Executive Director)
Rahul K. Patwardhan (CEO Designate)
|Services||Skills & Talent Development|
|Revenue||951 crore (US$150 million) (FY 2014)|
Number of employees
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (February 2015)|
NIIT Limited is an Indian Multinational company that offers learning management and training delivery solutions to corporations, institutions and individuals. It has three main lines of business worldwide: Corporate Learning Group (CLG), Skills and Careers Group (SCG), and School Learning Group (SLG).
In 2004, the IT services business of NIIT was demerged into a separately listed company NIIT Technologies. NIIT Limited now focuses on Corporate Training, Vocational Training for Services Sectors and Education and Training in Schools. NIIT Limited owns 23.98% of NIIT Technologies.
NIIT was established in 1981 by Rajendra S. Pawar and Vijay K. Thadani, graduates from IIT. Delhi, with one million rupees. NIIT conceived a franchising model in IT education for the very first time, setting up nine centers by 1987.
In 1986, NIIT began its Software Product Distribution business under the 'Insoft' brand.
By 1988, NIIT introduced brand differentiations, launching innovative marketing and advertising strategies to counter competition.
In 1990 it created the Computerdrome to provide ‘unlimited’ computer time to students.
In 1991, NIIT launched Bhavishya Jyoti Scholarships for meritorious and socially challenged students.
In 1992, NIIT launched its flagship program GNIIT, an industry-endorsed course with a 12-month Professional Practice, for students seeking careers in the IT and non-IT sectors.
In 1993 NIIT went for listings in Indian stock exchanges and became the first company to cross a market capitalization of one billion dollars.
In 1995, NIIT went overseas, with an education center in Hong Kong and in 1998 made a foray into the high-potential Chinese market.
In 1996, NIIT set up its first overseas education center in Hong Kong. In the same year, it launched its virtual university, NetVarsity.
The company earned the epithet, the ‘McDonald’s of the software business’ by Far Eastern Economic Review in September, 2001.
In 2001, NIIT launched the famous Hole-in-the-Wall experiment that was based on the revolutionary ‘minimally invasive education’ methodology.
In 2003, NIIT launched its MindChampions Academy (MCA) with Viswanathan Anand, Chess champion and NIIT Brand Ambassador.
In 2004, NIIT hived off its software business into an independent organization called NIIT Technologies Ltd.
In 2005, it launched Edgeineers, to boost career opportunities for engineering graduates. In the same year, it diversified into various sectors such as banking, finance and insurance (through IFBI), Executive Management education (through Imperia), Professional Life Skills, BPM, and ICT education for schools.
In 2008, NIIT set up NIIT University, a green campus spread over 100 acres in Neemrana, Rajasthan and new model in higher education.
In 2011, Rajendra Pawar, was awarded with the Padma Bhushan, the third highest civilian honor in the country for the year 2010-11.
In the same year, NIIT tied up with National Skill Development Corporation to launch NIIT Yuva Jyoti centers, which will skill seven million youth across India by 2022.
In 2001, NIIT acquired Osprey, DEI and Click2learn in the US, to establish its e-learning and corporate learning practices in that country.
In 2006, acquired Element K, a leading provider of learning solutions in North America. The company was sold off in 2012.
The main competitors of NIIT Limited are Xerox, Raytheon, GP Strategies, TimesPro, Educomp Solutions, Aptech, Hughes, Talent Edge, IL&FS Skills Development Corporation, Centum WorldSkills India, Synchroserve, Global Track Talent.
- 1981: NIIT was established by Rajendra S. Pawar and Vijay K. Thadani to optimise on the opportunity of booming IT education and training in India
- 1982: Setup educational centres in Mumbai and Chennai; Introduced Multimedia technology in education
- 1983: Corporate training program introduced
- 1984: IT consultancy service started
- 1985: Head Office integrated at New Delhi
- 1986: Software product distribution started under "Insoft" brand
- 1987: Conceived Franchising Model of education
- 1990: Created the Computer drome to provide unlimited computer time to students
- 1991: First overseas office set up in US; "Bhavishya Jyoti Scholarships" launched for meritorious and socially challenged students
- 1992: GNIIT program started with professional practice
- 1993: Received ISO 9001 for software export; Listed on BSE
- 1995: NIIT tied up with Microsoft to provide education of Microsoft technologies
- 1996: First overseas education center launched ; Launched "NetVarsity", the virtual University ; Awarded ISO 9001 for Computer Education
- 1997: NIIT was the first Indian Company to be assessed at SEI CMM Level 5 for Software Business ; Unique distinction puts NIIT into first list of 21st Global companies
- 1999: Achieved the status of Microsoft's best training partner in Asia ; Five time World Champion Viswanathan Anand became NIIT Brand Ambassador ; Started Hole-in-the-Wall (HiWEl) experiment for disadvantaged children.
- 2000: Tied up with Oracle Corporation to provide education on Oracle technologies specially on Oracle Database; Collaborated with Sun Microsystems on "iForce initiatives on computing giant"
- 2001: Microsoft awarded NIIT the "Best Training Company Award"
- 2003: Launched NIIT MindChampions Academy with Viswanathan Anand to promote chess in schools.
- 2004: Global Solutions Business spun off into NIIT Technologies ; Industry endorsed GNIIT curriculum was launches ; NIIT and Intel signed a deal to use technology-assisted learning in school
- 2005: Launch of NIIT IT Aptitude Test (NITAT)
- 2006: Launched new businesses called NIIT Litmus which provides testing & assessment services for IT&ITES organizations,NIIT Imperia which would provide three certificate programmes from Indian Institutes of Management and IFBI Institute of Finance Banking and Insurance (NIIT IFBI)
- 2009: Founded and commenced new "NIIT University" campus in Neemrana, Rajasthan offering more post graduation level courses.
- 2011: Launch of NIIT Yuva Jyoti Limited (NYJL)- a joint venture between NIIT and NSDC to fuel growth in Skills & Employability for youth across India
- 2012: Launch of Digital Marketing Program ; NIIT received 'Top IT Training Company Award 2012' for the 20th year in succession by Cybermedia publications.
- 2013: NIIT, NIIT University entered into a MoU with Autodesk to evangelize design as a learning discipline in India ; NIIT launched 'Program in Business Analytics' ; NIIT launches NIIT Cloud Campus: A pioneering initiative undertaken to help take high quality educational programs to the remotest corners of the country ; NIIT enters Test Preparation Market with CTET Coaching 
- 2014: NIIT launches its new persona based website www.niit.com
- 2015: Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) recognizes NIIT as the "Best Educational Website" ; NIIT enters into MoU with Guian New Area, China
NIIT is organised along the following three lines of business:
- Corporate Learning Group - It offers Managed Training Services (MTS), which includes custom curriculum design and content development, learning administration, learning delivery, strategic sourcing, learning technology and advisory services.
- Skills and Careers Group - This focuses on providing employability skills to learners. It includes learning programs in soft skills, business process excellence, retail sales enablement, management education, vocational skills, digital media marketing and new age IT, Banking, Insurance and Financial services through IFBI, NIIT Imperia Executive Management Programs and training in skills for BPO/KPO sectors through NIIT Uniqua.
- School Learning Group - It provides technology based learning to government and private schools. It offers NIIT nGuru learning solutions for schools, which include Interactive classrooms with digital content, math lab, IT Wizard programs and Quick School software.
NIIT Limited mainly focuses on well-defined key sectors of industry:
- Banking, Finance and Insurance
- Executive Management
- Corporate Learning Solutions
- Content Development
- Learning Administration
- Learning Technology
- Learning Delivery
- Strategic Sourcing
- Advisory Services
- School Learning Solutions
- Vocational Skills Training
- Information Technology Courses
- Digital Marketing
- Business Analytics
NIIT offers turnkey integration programs and computer-based training to over 5000 government schools through its NIIT K-12 business division.
NIIT Imperia collaborated with KPMG India to offer advanced certified programs on International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS). These programs are generally six weeks long and are meant to assist companies in migrating from Indian General Accepted Accounting Principals to IFRS.
Indian training centres
NIIT has training and educational centres in the following Indian states and union territories: Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Bihar, Chandigarh, Chhattisgarh, Delhi, Goa, Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Nagaland, Odisha, Puducherry, Punjab, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Tripura, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal.
- Education in India
- Information technology in India
- List of Indian IT companies
- Professional certification
- Professional certification (Computer technology)
Notes and references
- "NIIT Limited Financial Statements". Economic Times.
- TOI Website:  (URL last accessed on 14 July 2009)
- "NIIT Limited holding in NIIT Technologies". 19 January 2014. Retrieved 19 February 2014.
- "Management Team – Founders and Their History". NIIT. 28 June 2006.[dead link]
- "Academic Alliance". MMBL Cyber skills. 30 June 2009. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "Schooling for the millions in emerging information economies is the challenge of Rajendra Pawar's renewed NIIT". Forbes. 30 June 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "NIIT Campus about most popular GNIIT program". 30 June 2008. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "Received ISO". NIIT. 30 June 2008. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "NIIT builds defence software for Singapore". Rediff on the net. 20 November 1997. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2000/03/08/stories/150839i2.htm". The Hindu Business Line. 8 March 2000. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "NIIT teams up with Sun for iForce initiative". The Hindu Business Line. 16 June 2000. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "Award for NIIT". The Hindu. 6 June 2001. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "Intel, NIIT to boost tech learning". Rediff News. 22 November 2004. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "NIIT enters management education". The Economic Times. 16 September 2006. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "NIIT ties up with Infospectrum for research solutions". Sify Business. 24 June 2008. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "NIIT University Campus, a breakthrough innovation". The Economic Times. 5 April 2009. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "NIIT enters Test Preparation Market with CTET Coaching". PR Log. 30 October 2013. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "IFBI career". India Study Channel. 25 March 2000. Retrieved 2009-04-12.
- Sun_India Website:  (URL last accessed on 14 July 2009)