Be more ambitious.
|Traded as||BSE: 500304
|Founders||Rajendra S. Pawar
Vijay K. Thadani
|Key people||Rajendra Singh Pawar (Chairman & MD)
Vijay Kumar Thadani (CEO)
|Services||Education and training solutions|
|Revenue||708 crore (US$110 million) (2013)|
NIIT Limited is an Indian company based in Gurgaon, India that operates several for-profit higher education institutions. The company describes itself as a global talent development company and offers learning and knowledge solutions globally to individuals, enterprises and institutions in information technology, business process outsourcing, banking finance and insurance, executive management education, school education, communication and professional life skills, and vocational skills training.
In 2004, the IT services business of NIIT was demerged into a separately listed company NIIT Technologies. NIIT Limited now focuses on Education and Training in Schools, Vocational Training for Services Sectors, and Corporate Training. NIIT Limited owns 23.98% of NIIT Technologies.
- NIIT Technologies acquired UK-based company ROOM Solution in 2006–2007.
- In 2006, it acquired US-based learning solution provider Element K.
- In 2011, it sold Element K.
NIIT has two subsidiaries, NIIT SmartServe Ltd. and NIIT GIS Ltd., which provide business process outsourcing and GIS solutions (NIIT has an affiliation with ESRI for this business), respectively. NIIT Technologies had annual revenue of INR 9,799 million as of 2009[update].
NIIT University is sponsored by NIIT Limited.
- 1981: NIIT was established as National Institute of Information Technology by Rajendra S. Pawar and Vijay K. Thadani to optimise on the opportunity of booming IT education and training in India
- 1982: Setup educational centres in Mumbai and Chennai
- 1982: Introduced Multimedia technology in education
- 1983: Corporate training program introduced
- 1984: IT consultancy service started
- 1986: Software product distribution started under "Insoft" brand
- 1987: Conceived Franchising Model of education
- 1989: Dr CR Mitra an alumnus of MIT and former Director of BITS Pilani joined NIIT as education adviser stated and created "GNIIT" program
- 1991: First overseas office set up in US
- 1991: "Bhavishya Jyoti Scholarships" launched for meritorious and socially challenged students
- 1992: GNIIT program started with professional practice
- 1993: Received ISO 9001 for software export
- 1993: Listed on BSE
- 1995: NIIT tied up with Microsoft to provide education of Microsoft technologies
- 1996: First overseas education center launched
- 1996: Launched "NetVarsity", the virtual University
- 1996: Awarded ISO 9001 for Computer Education
- 1997: NIIT stated scholarship for economically under challenged children
- 1997: Unique distinction puts NIIT into first list of 21st Global companies
- 1999: Achieved the status of Microsoft's best training partner in Asia
- 2000: Tied up with Oracle Corporation to provide education on Oracle technologies specially on Oracle Database
- 2000: Collaborated with Sun Microsystems on "iForce initiatives on computing giant"
- 2001: Microsoft awarded NIIT the "Best Training Company Award"
- 2004: NIIT Technologies started offering Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to its clients
- 2004: NIIT and Intel signed a deal to use technology-assisted learning in school
- 2005: Germany based software company SAP AG and NIIT Technologies tied up to implement software projects for government and public sectors
- 2006: Sun Microsystems tied up NIIT to provide specialised training for students in programming platform such as Java and Solaris
- 2006: Launched two new businesses called NIIT Imperia which would provide three certificate programmes from Indian Institutes of Management and IFBI Institute of Finance Banking and Insurance (NIIT IFBI)
- 2009: Founded and commenced new "NIIT University" campus in Neemrana, Rajasthan offering more post graduation level courses.
- 2009: Chinese Society of Educational Development Strategy (CSEDS) awarded NIIT Ltd for IT Training Brand in China
- 2013: NIIT enters Test Preparation Market with CTET Coaching 
NIIT is organised along the following three lines of business:
- Individual Learning Solutions – This focuses on providing employability skills to people in the age group of 16–25 years. IT training forms the bulk of this segment. In recent years it has launched new offerings for training in Banking, Insurance and Financial services through IFBI, NIIT Imperia Executive Management Programs through NIIT Imperia and training in skills for BPO/KPO sectors through NIIT Uniqua.
- School Learning Solutions – this provides training and learning solutions to government and to private schools.
- Corporate Learning Solutions - this division provides training services such as off the shelf learning library, custom content development, customised instructor led training and training administration services. Element K a US company, acquired by NIIT in 2006.
NIIT Technologies mainly focuses on well-defined key sectors of industry:
- Banking & Financial Services
- Retail Banking
- Wholesale Banking
- Investment Management
- Risk and Compliance Offerings
- Business Testing Frameworks
- Travel Transportation and Logistics
- Airlines and Travel Distribution
- Surface Transport
- Integrated BPO
- Retail Distribution
- SAP retail
NIIT offers turnkey integration programs and computer-based training to over 5000 government schools through its NIIT K-12 business division, comprising NIIT nguru and NIIT Solutions for School.[dead link]
NIIT's corporate learning solutions caters to Fortune 500 companies, universities, and technology, training, and publishing companies.
NIIT Imperia collaborated with KPMG India to offer advanced certified programs on International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS). These programs are generally six weeks long and are meant to assist companies in migrating from Indian General Accepted Accounting Principals to IFRS.
Indian training centres
NIIT has training and educational centres in the following Indian states and union territories: Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Bihar, Chandigarh, Chhattisgarh, Delhi, Goa, Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Jharkhand, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Nagaland, Odisha, Puducherry, Punjab, Rajasthan, Tamil Nadu, Tripura, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal.
- Education in India
- Information technology in India
- List of Indian IT companies
- Professional certification
- Professional certification (Computer technology)
Notes and references
- "NIIT Limited Financial Statements". Economic Times.
- TOI Website:  (URL last accessed on 14 July 2009)
- "NIIT Limited holding in NIIT Technologies". 19 January 2014. Retrieved 19 February 2014.
- "Management Team – Founders and Their History". NIIT. 28 June 2006.[dead link]
- TOI website:  (URL last accessed on 14 July 2009)[dead link]
- "NIIT acquired US-Based company Element K". The Economic Times. 28 June 2006. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "NIIT sells Element K to SkillSoft for $110 million". The Economic Times. 17 October 2011. Retrieved 2012-01-13.
- "Academic Alliance". MMBL Cyber skills. 30 June 2009. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "Schooling for the millions in emerging information economies is the challenge of Rajendra Pawar's renewed NIIT". Forbes. 30 June 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "Federation of Jain Institute". 30 June 2008. Retrieved 2007-10-16.[dead link]
- "NIIT Campus about most popular GNIIT program". 30 June 2008. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "Received ISO". NIIT. 30 June 2008. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "NIIT's scholarship offers scope for the economically challenged". The Financial Express. 29 September 1997. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "NIIT builds defence software for Singapore". Rediff on the net. 20 November 1997. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2000/03/08/stories/150839i2.htm". The Hindu Business Line. 8 March 2000. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "NIIT teams up with Sun for iForce initiative". The Hindu Business Line. 16 June 2000. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "Award for NIIT". The Hindu. 6 June 2001. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "NIIT set for GIS global launch". techtree.com. 5 February 2004. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "Intel, NIIT to boost tech learning". Rediff News. 22 November 2004. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "NIIT Tech, SAP tie up for government services". The Times of India. 9 February 2005. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "Java green: NIIT, Sun join forces for training programs". Access my Library. 31 May 2006. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "NIIT enters management education". The Economic Times. 16 September 2006. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "NIIT ties up with Infospectrum for research solutions". Sify Business. 24 June 2008. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "NIIT University Campus, a breakthrough innovation". The Economic Times. 5 April 2009. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "NIIT honoured as the most Influential IT Training Brand in China". Equity Bulls. 30 September 2009. Retrieved 2007-10-16.
- "NIIT enters Test Preparation Market with CTET Coaching". PR Log. 30 October 2013. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "NIIT Technologies Industry Solutions" (aspx). NIIT Technologies. Retrieved 1 October 2005.[dead link]
- "IFBI career". India Study Channel. 25 March 2000. Retrieved 2009-04-12.
- Sun_India Website:  (URL last accessed on 14 July 2009)