July 15, 1927|
Decatur, Illinois, U.S.
|Died||March 4, 2010
Malibu, California, U.S.
Born in Decatur, Illinois and raised in Santa Monica, California, her first film role was The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit (1956). Her other film roles included The Mugger (1958), Doctor Detroit (1983), All of Me (1984), A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987) where she played the role of Amanda Krueger, the mother of killer Freddy Krueger. Her last film role is in 2005's Thicker than Water.
Martin starred on Mr. Sunshine. Her other well-known roles were in the 1983 miniseries The Thorn Birds and on the soap opera Santa Barbara. She had a recurring role on the ABC hit TV series The Drew Carey Show as Mrs. Lauder. She made many guest appearances on various television series, some of those appearances range from Ben Casey, The Untouchables, The Twilight Zone, and Star Trek: The Next Generation as Victoria Miller in the season 1 episode "Haven", and she played Rose, the secretary of murderer Alex Brady in the Columbo television movie, Murder, Smoke and Shadows.
She appeared on two episodes of The Golden Girls: first as the mean-spirited and nasty Frieda Claxton, who was told to drop dead by Rose Nylund, which she did. She also portrayed Philomena, a friend of Sophia Petrillo's from Sicily, who claimed that Dorothy was really her daughter and not Sophia's. One month after her appearance on The Golden Girls, she appeared as Valerie's mean and nasty chain-smoking Aunt Josephine on The Hogan Family. In the middle of the episode, Valerie comes home and tells Mike, "We lost Aunt Josephine at the supermarket." When inquiring about what happened, Valerie said that she and Josephine were in the express check-out (10 items or less). Valerie explained, "The gentleman in front of us had two six-packs of beer and Josephine insisted it was twelve items" and in the middle of her rage, she drops dead and falls into the candy display.
Her first husband was musical composer Robert Emmett Dolan, whom she married on March 17, 1948; they had one son, Casey Martin Dolan. Her second husband, Harry Gesner, is the father of her younger son, actor Zen Gesner.
She died Thursday March 4, 2010 at her Malibu, California home. She was 82. Martin suffered from emphysema.
- The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit (1956) (uncredited)
- Toys in the Attic (1963)
- Goodbye, Columbus (1969)
- The Other Side of the Mountain (1975)
- The Other Side of the Mountain Part 2 (1978)
- Doctor Detroit (1983)
- All of Me (1984)
- A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987)
- Animal Behavior (1989)
- Pirates of Darkwater (voice only)
- Last Gasp (1995)
- Cast Away (2000)
- Big Eden (2000)
- Shallow Hal (2001)
- Dancing at the Harvest Moon (2002)
- Thicker than Water (2005)
- McLellan, Dennis (5 March 2010). "Nan Martin dies at 82; prolific actress". latimes.com. Retrieved 10 March 2010.
- Grimes, William (9 March 2010). "Nan Martin, an Actress Known for Her Strong Roles, Dies at 82". nytimes.com. Retrieved 10 March 2010.
- http://forum.bcdb.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=107698; Veteran theater, TV actress Nan Martin dead at 82
- Nan Martin at Find a Grave
- Nan Martin at the Internet Movie Database
- Nan Martin at Memory Alpha (a Star Trek wiki)
- http://www.buzztab.com/famous-personalities/nan-martin-dies-at-82/ Nan Martin Dies At 82