Ngerulmud is the capital of the Republic of Palau, an island nation in the Pacific Ocean. The city is located in the state of Melekeok on Babeldaob, the country's largest island, 20 kilometres (12 miles) northeast of Koror and 2 km (1 mile) northwest of Melekeok village.
The previous capital was located provisionally in Koror. The country's constitution directed the Palau National Congress to relocate a permanent capital in Babeldaob, within ten years of the constitution's effective date. The new capital's planning began in 1986, when a contract for the construction of the capitol complex was assigned to a Hawaii-based architecture firm, but further progress was not made until the early 2000s.
Containing separate buildings for the legislative, judicial, and executive branches, connected via a central open plaza, the complex cost over US$45 million, and was officially opened on 7 October 2006, with over 5,000 people in attendance. Government officials moved their offices from Koror to Ngerulmud shortly after.
- According to Google Earth and topographic maps.
- Constitution of the Republic of Palau – Embassy of the Republic of Palau, Washington, DC. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- Pride in Palau for new Capitol – The Honolulu Advertiser. Published 12 November 2006. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- US Department of State. Background Note - Palau: Government offices moved to a new National Capitol Building complex located at Ngerulmud, Melekeok State
- US Department of Interior, President of the Republic of Palau Inaugural Address
- Addresses of Palau Government offices