Oregon Health & Science University Hospital
|Oregon Health & Science University Hospital|
|Oregon Health & Science University|
Front of the main building
|Location||Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon, United States|
|Emergency department||Level I trauma center|
|Lists||Hospitals in Oregon|
Oregon Health & Science University Hospital (OHSU Hospital) is a Level I trauma center and teaching hospital in Portland in the U.S. state of Oregon. Part of Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU), the facility has 534 beds. Located on OHSU's Marquam Hill campus south of Downtown Portland, the hospital is adjacent to Doernbecher Children's Hospital and a Shriners Hospital for Children. OHSU Hospital is one of only two Level I trauma centers in Oregon.
The hospital was the subject of a lawsuit in 2006 due to a surgery performed on former television personality Ken Ackerman. The jury awarded Ackerman $1.4 million in the medical malpractice suit in a case that then spent years on appeal in the courts and saw a change in the Oregon Tort Claims Act while the case continued. In October 2008, the hospital decided to postpone a $350 million expansion of its Kohler Pavilion wing. The hospital did open 60 additional beds in the Kohler wing in February 2009, bringing the total number of hospital beds in the wing to 144.
The 534-bed hospital was ranked number 23 in the United States by U.S. News & World Report in 2011 for its ear, nose, and throat specialties. It was also ranked number 32 for its urology care in pediatrics and number 35 for its cancer treatment in pediatrics.
- "Oregon Trauma Hospitals". Oregon Trauma System. Oregon Health Authority. March 30, 2010. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- Beaven, Steve (February 10, 2010). "Court rules that former Portland TV personality should get $1.4 million from doctor, OHSU". The Oregonian. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- Sickinger, Ted (October 11, 2008). "OHSU pulls back on plan to expand the Kohler Pavilion". The Oregonian. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- Dworkin, Andy (February 20, 2009). "OHSU opens two new patient floors on Pill Hill". The Oregonian. Retrieved 22 July 2011.
- "U.S. News Best Hospitals: Ear, Nose & Throat". U.S.News & World Report. Retrieved 20 July 2011.
- Budnick, Nick (July 19, 2011). "Oregon Health & Science University specialty garners national ranking; six other local hospitals recognized". The Oregonian. Retrieved 20 July 2011.