A pail is a technical term, used in the shipping industry, to designate a type of cylindrical shipping container with a capacity of about 1 to 12 gal (3 to 50 L). It can have straight or slanted sides and usually has a handle or bail.
Pails can be made of
Pails are either "open head" with removable covers or are "tight head" with sealed heads and a screw closure.
 See also
- Soroka, W. Illustrated Glossary of Packaging Terminology (Second ed.). Institute of Packaging Professionals.
- Flexner, Stuart; Hauck, :epmpre, eds. (1993) . Random House Unabridged Dictionary (hardcoverISBN 0-679-42917 Check
|isbn=value (help).) (second ed.). New York: Random House. p. 271.
- "How to Comply with Federal Hazardous Materials Regulations". US DoT.
 Books, general references
- Soroka, W, "Fundamentals of Packaging Technology", IoPP, 2002, ISBN 1-930268-25-4
- Yam, K. L., "Encyclopedia of Packaging Technology", John Wiley & Sons, 2009, ISBN 978-0-470-08704-6
- ASTM D4504 - -Specification for Molded Polyethylene Open-Head Pails for Industrial Shipping of Nonhazardous Goods