Phillips and his mother in August 2012
|Born||Peter Mark Andrew Phillips
15 November 1977
St Mary's Hospital, London, England
|Alma mater||University of Exeter|
|Occupation||Manager for the Royal Bank of Scotland|
|Religion||Church of England|
|Children||Savannah Phillips (born 2010)
Isla Phillips (born 2012)
Anne, Princess Royal
|Relatives||Zara Tindall (sister)
Elizabeth II (grandmother)
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (grandfather)
Peter Mark Andrew Phillips (born 15 November 1977) is the only son of Anne, Princess Royal, and her first husband, Captain Mark Phillips. He is the eldest grandchild of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
Phillips holds no royal title or style and is currently 12th in the line of succession to the thrones of the 16 Commonwealth realms. After graduating from university in 2000, he worked for Jaguar followed by WilliamsF1. In 2003, while working for WilliamsF1 in Canada, he met Autumn Kelly, whom he married in St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle in 2008. Phillips keeps a low public profile and carries out no royal duties; for many years he has worked in the sports sponsorship and management fields.
Early life and education
Peter Phillips was born at 10:46 am on 15 November 1977, at St Mary's Hospital, Paddington in west London. He was the first child of Mark Phillips and Princess Anne, who had married in 1973. His parents were said to have refused offers from the Queen that would have led to his being born in the peerage. Phillips was therefore the first legitimate grandchild of a monarch to be born without a title or courtesy style for more than 500 years. Before him the last grandchildren born without any title or style were the children of Cecily of York, the daughter of Edward IV. At birth he was fifth in line to the Throne, and remained so until Prince William's birth in 1982. At the time of his birth, there was a 41-gun salute from the Tower of London. He was baptised Peter Mark Andrew Phillips on 22 December 1977, by the then Archbishop of Canterbury Donald Coggan in the Music Room of Buckingham Palace. His godparents were his uncle, the Prince of Wales, the Rt. Rev'd. Geoffrey Tiarks, Captain Hamish Lochore, Lady Cecil Cameron of Lochiel and Jane Holderness-Roddam. Princess Anne and Captain Phillips (who also had a daughter, Zara, in 1981) tried to ensure that their children were kept out of the limelight. Phillips has two half-sisters, Felicity Tonkin (born 1985), the daughter of Mark Phillips and his former mistress Heather Tonkin, and Stephanie Phillips (born 1997), the daughter of his father's second marriage to Sandy Pflueger.
Peter Phillips went to Port Regis Prep School in Shaftesbury, Dorset before following other members of the Royal Family by attending Gordonstoun School in Moray, Scotland. Whilst at Gordonstoun, he was chosen to be head boy and also played rugby for the school's team. Then he went to the University of Exeter and graduated with a degree in sports science. At university, he played for the Exeter University Rugby League team.
After his graduation in 2000, Phillips worked for Jaguar as corporate hospitality manager and then for WilliamsF1 racing team, where he was sponsorship accounts manager. In 2004, while working for WilliamsF1, Phillips was in a van in China with three other employees when the van was hit by a car. Phillips was uninjured. He left WilliamsF1 in September 2005, for a job as a manager at the Royal Bank of Scotland in Edinburgh. In March 2012, he left RBS to take on a role as managing director at SEL UK.
Unlike his sister's personal life, Peter Phillips receives only limited publicity. He dated Elizabeth Lorio, a cod liver oil heiress from the United States, for two years; in 2001 they lived together for eight months. Later, he had a four-month relationship with Tara Swain, a flight attendant.
Marriage and children
In 2003, Phillips met Autumn Kelly, a Canadian management consultant, at the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal. Their engagement was announced on 28 July 2007. The Queen gave her consent to the marriage in a meeting of her Privy Council on 9 April 2008.
Before her marriage, Autumn Kelly converted from Roman Catholicism to the Church of England. If she had been Roman Catholic at the time of the marriage, Phillips would have lost his place in the line of the succession to the thrones because of the terms of the Act of Settlement 1701. Shortly before their wedding, the couple caused some reported unease in royal circles when they were interviewed and photographed by Hello! magazine, and were reported to have been paid £500,000. They married on 17 May 2008 at St George's Chapel in Windsor Castle. The service was conducted by David Conner, the Dean of Windsor.
The couple lived in Hong Kong after Phillips moved positions within the Royal Bank of Scotland to head their sponsorships activities in the region. They now live in London where he continues to work for the bank. Their first child, and the Queen's first great-grandchild, a daughter named Savannah Anne Kathleen, was born on 29 December 2010 at Gloucestershire Royal Hospital. On Saturday, 23 April, the Queen was present for Savannah Phillips's baptism, which took place at Holy Cross Church in Avening, Gloucestershire, near Gatcombe Park, the home of his mother. Savannah is 13th in line for the throne. On 29 March 2012, Autumn gave birth to another daughter, Isla Elizabeth Phillips, who is 14th in line for the throne.
|Ancestors of Peter Phillips|
- "1977: Princess Anne gives birth to Master Phillips". BBC. 15 November 1977.
- "The Princess Royal: Marriage and Family". royal.gov.uk.
- "Buckingham Palace Press Release". royal.gov.uk. 8 April 2004.
- "CBS News Profile". CBS.
- Mail on Sunday
- "Profile – Peter Phillips". Hello!. July 2001.
- "Peter Phillips". English Monarchs.
- "Princess Anne's son set to marry". BBC. 28 July 2007.
- Clout, Laura (30 July 2007). "Publicity-shy Peter to be Queen's first grandchild to wed". The Daily Telegraph (UK). Retrieved 22 May 2010.
- "Peter Phillips Profile". Royal Jubbly.
- "Queen's grandson in car accident". BBC. 26 September 2004.
- "Peter Phillips". 15 July 2012.
- "So who should William woo?". The Scotsman (UK). 7 May 2003.
- "Cup to get Royal seal of approval". The RFL (UK). 20 August 2012.
- "Consent to marriage of Peter Phillips and Autumn Kelly". London Gazette. 2008. Retrieved 5 May 2008.
- Price, Jonathan (3 August 2007). "A royal marriage dilemma – Phillips may renounce succession". The Daily Telegraph (UK).
- Pierce, Andrew (1 May 2008). "Peter's fiancée converts to save succession". The Daily Telegraph (UK).
- Pierce, Andrew (17 May 2008). "Autumn Kelly, Peter Phillip's fiance". The Daily Telegraph (UK).
- "Royal marries in Windsor wedding". BBC. 17 May 2008.
- Pierce, Andrew (17 May 2008). "Queen will meet Prince Harry's girlfriend Chelsy Davy at Peter Phillips wedding". London: BBC.
- Sudhaman, Arun (20 August 2008). "Phillips to lead RBS regional sponsorship". Brand Republic.
- Who's Who – Members of the Royal Family
- "Mrs Peter Phillips has given birth to a baby girl, 30 December 2010". Royal. 30 December 2010.
- "First Great-grandchild for Queen". BBC News. 30 December 2010.
- Palmer, Richard (26 April 2011). "Royal Wedding: Before the big event, a christening". Daily Express. UK. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- ITV News – Queen a great-grandmother again
- "News & Views". The Heraldry Gazette (57): 17. March 1974.
- Sovereign ER II. London: Collins and Brown. 1992. p. 14. ISBN 1-85585-116-4.
|Lines of succession|
The Princess Royal
|Line of succession to the British throne
|Orders of precedence in the United Kingdom|
Mr Peter Phillips