|Origin||Bandung, Jawa Barat, Indonesia|
|Genres||Pop, alternative rock, pop rock, space rock, grunge (early)|
(as Ariel, Uki, Lukman, Reza, David)
|Associated acts||The Titans, Astoria|
Noah (former name Peterpan and stylized as NOAH) is an Indonesian alternative pop/rock band. The band originally consisted of four members, known as Ariel, Uki, Lukman, and David. Andika and Indra split from the band in 2006. David joined the band in 2008 bringing new color to their music. They are well known in Indonesia for their simple (sometimes poetic) lyrics, catchy beats, and Ariel's voice. Reza split from the band in 2014.
As of 2015, Noah has sold more than 8.5 million albums in Indonesia only and recognized as the best selling alternative pop/rock band.
1997: Beginnings as Topi
In 1997, Andika as keyboardist, formed a school band in Bandung, Indonesia. It was called Topi, with Uki as guitarist, Ariel as vocalist, Abel as bass player, and Ari as drummer. They mainly played British alternative rock until Ari withdrew from the group, and Topi broke up.
2000-2012: Formation as Peterpan
Andika regrouped former members of Topi in 2000. The drummer was replaced by Reza, a college student from Palu. Lukman, a friend of Indra's elder brother, joined as their lead guitarist. Andika suggested Peterpan as the name for the band referring to Peter Pan, the character created by J. M. Barrie, an author (Other names they considered were Spiderman and X-Men). The band was formally founded on September 1, 2000. Peterpan played on Bandung streets and gigged in cafés, with the goal of becoming a house band in one of the city's cafés. They often covered alternative rock and rock songs, (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Coldplay, U2, Creed, etc.) at O'Hara and Sapu Lidi cafés.
At Sapu Lidi cafés, the band was spotted by Noey, a producer who planned to release a compilation album. Peterpan recorded three demo songs: "Sahabat", "Mimpi yang Sempurna", and "Taman Langit". "Mimpi yang Sempurna" was chosen for the album, titled Kisah 2002 Malam. The album was commercially successful, selling a respectable 150,000 copies, and "Mimpi yang Sempurna" was given heavy rotation on Indonesian radio.
The top major label, Musica Studios, offered Peterpan a contract, and their released debut album, Taman Langit, on June 2003. Their second album, Bintang Di Surga, was released in August 2004, selling 350,000 copies in two weeks. By the end of 2005, it had sold a remarkable 2.7 million copies.
Their third album was released in September 2005, the soundtrack for the Rexinema movie, Alexandria. The album was titled Menunggu Pagi, and the formal release was covered simultaneously by Indonesia's six top national TV stations. The soundtrack album included five new songs for the film and renditions of five of their songs from Bintang di Surga. Peterpan collaborated with veteran Indonesian pop singer, Chrisye, on "Menunggumu", which was then used as the theme song for the Indonesian soap opera, Liontin.
In November 2006, Andika and Indra split with the rest of the band, with both sides citing musical differences. According to Ariel, there were problems since the making of their first album. Indra had also just lost his child. Andika and Indra joined a new band named The Titans, and signed with international label EMI Music Indonesia, releasing a self-titled album and a single, "Rasa Ini" (This Feeling).
In early 2008, the band announced that they would be changing their name, stating that their 2008 studio album, Sebuah Nama Sebuah Cerita, would be their last under the name Peterpan. The album mostly consists of popular hits from the band's history, with four new songs: "Walau Habis Terang", "Kisah Cintaku" (a cover of Chrisye's song), "Dilema Besar", and "Tak Ada Yang Abadi".
- Setting a record
Amidst their tight schedule in 2003-2004, which climaxed on July 18, 2004, Peterpan planned to perform in six cities in Indonesia in only 24 hours. The concerts were titled "Konser Breaking Record", listed in Museum Rekor Indonesia (MURI, Indonesian Museum of Record), and included concerts on two Indonesian major islands: Sumatra and Java. The concerts started on July 18 in Medan in North Sumatra Province, Padang, Pekanbaru, Lampung, Semarang in Central Java Province, and finally ended at Surabaya in East Java Province.
Sex tape scandal
In 2010, Ariel was arrested for violating Indonesian anti-pornography laws, when videos which appear to be of himself having sex were circulated on the internet, after his laptop was reportedly stolen.
In January 2011, Bandung's District Court sentenced Ariel to three and a half years imprisonment after testimonies by digital forensic experts confirmed that Ariel was the male counterpart in the sex tape scandal, involving Luna Maya and Cut Tari, and that he was responsible for the creation of the videos. In April, an appeal to the High Court was rejected, with judges deciding unanimously to uphold the sentence given by the District Court.
2012-present: Renaming as Noah
The band decided to rename itself Noah starting August 2, 2012. The former name Peterpan Band also denoted longevity and everlasting youth as well. To emphasize the change of name promotional materials and some releases were called Noah Known as Peterpan Band
Ariel, Uki, Reza, Lukman, and David released a new album called Suara Lainnya. It launched in a private concert dubbed as "Konser Tanpa Nama", or the "Concert Without a Name", as they haven’t settled on a new name yet. Suara Lainnya is the band’s first instrumental album, and it contains 11 tracks. All but one of them were taken from the group’s previous albums and recomposed in a different style with some ethnic and classic touches. The group collaborated with other musicians, including a traditional Sundanese music group, Karinding Attack, who added some ethnic flare. Indonesian violin maestro, Idris Sardi added a classical touch in "Taman Langit" as did violinist, Hendry Lamiri, in several other tracks. The instrumental concert is said to be the first of its kind in Indonesia.
On September 15-September 16, 2012, Noah had a concert in Melbourne, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, and finally ended in Jakarta. Here, they have broken their second MURI Record: Concert in 2 Continents, 5 Countries in 24 hours, after their first MURI Record: Concert 6 cities in 24 Hours in 2004. At the same day, they also released their new album called Seperti Seharusnya. The album had sold more than 200,000 copies in just 3 days. As of December 2012, the following album had sold more than 1,300,000 copies. By February 19, 2013, Noah received a Multi-Platinum Awards from Musica Studios & Swara Sangkar Emas.
|2003||Taman Langit||850,000||5x Platinum|
|2004||Bintang di Surga||3,200,000||21x Platinum|
|2005||OST Alexandria||1,200,000||8x Platinum|
|2007||Hari Yang Cerah||900,000||6x Platinum|
|2008||Sebuah Nama Sebuah Cerita||580,000||4x Platinum|
- "Mimpi Yang Sempurna" (Kisah 2002 Malam)
- "Sahabat" (Taman Langit)
- "Aku Dan Bintang" (Taman Langit)
- "Topeng" (Taman Langit)
- "Semua Tentang Kita" (Taman Langit)
- "Yang Terdalam" (Taman Langit)
- "Kita Tertawa" (Taman Langit)
- "Ada Apa Denganmu" (Bintang di Surga)
- "Mungkin Nanti" (Bintang di Surga)
- "Ku Katakan Dengan Indah" (Bintang di Surga)
- "Khayalan Tingkat Tinggi" (Bintang di Surga)
- "Bintang Di Surga" (Bintang di Surga)
- "Di Atas Normal" (Bintang di Surga)
- "Dibelakangku" (Bintang di Surga)
- "Tak Bisakah" (OST Alexandria)
- "Jauh Mimpiku" (OST Alexandria)
- "Menunggu Pagi" (OST Alexandria)
- "Langit Tak Mendengar" (OST Alexandria)
- "Membebaniku" (OST Alexandria)
- "Menunggumu feat. Chrisye" (Senyawa)
- "Kupu Kupu Malam" (From Us to U)
- "Menghapus Jejakmu" (Hari Yang Cerah)
- "Dibalik Awan" (Hari Yang Cerah)
- "Sally Sendiri" (Hari Yang Cerah)
- "Hari Yang cerah Untuk Jiwa Yang Sepi" (Hari Yang Cerah)
- "Cobalah Mengerti" (Hari Yang Cerah)
- "Walau Habis Terang" (Sebuah Nama Sebuah Cerita)
- "Kisah Cintaku" (Sebuah Nama Sebuah Cerita)
- "Dilema Besar" (Sebuah Nama Sebuah Cerita)
- "Tak Ada Yang Abadi" (Sebuah Nama Sebuah Cerita)
- "Dara" (Suara Lainnya)
- "Cobalah Mengerti" (ft. Momo Geisha) (Suara Lainnya)
- "Sahabat" (ft. Karinding Attack) (Suara Lainnya)
- "Separuh Aku" (Seperti Seharusnya)
- "Hidup Untukmu, Mati Tanpamu" (Seperti Seharusnya)
- "Jika Engkau" (Seperti Seharusnya)
- "Tak Lagi Sama" (Seperti Seharusnya)
- "Ini Cinta" (Seperti Seharusnya)
- "Hero" (Second Chance)
- "Seperti Kemarin" (Second Chance)
Awards and recognition
- Prodita Sabarini (2008-12-14), "Peterpan's Last Flight", The Jakarta Post (Jakarta)
- Vaswani, Karishma (25 June 2010). "Sex tape charges for Indonesian star Nazril Irham". BBC News, Jakarta. Retrieved 25 June 2010.
- McPherson, Kate (21 June 2010). "Sex tape stirs Indonesian internet censorship debate". Radio Australia News. Retrieved 25 June 2010.
- Tri Suwarni, Yuli and Dipa, Arya (1 February 2011). http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2011/02/01/ariel-gets-35-years-unrest-outside-court.html. The Jakarta Post [online].
- Tri Suwarni, Yuli (26 April 2011). http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2011/04/26/bandung-high-court-rejects-appeals-ariel%E2%80%99s-sex-video-case.html. The Jakarta Post [online].
- Ade Mardiyati (29 May 2012). http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/entertainment/peterpans-other-voice-without-ariel/520399. The Jakarta Globe [online].