Pier Carlo Padoan
|Pier Carlo Padoan|
|Minister of Economy and Finances|
22 February 2014
|Prime Minister||Matteo Renzi|
|Preceded by||Fabrizio Saccomanni|
|Born||January 1950 (age 64)
|Alma mater||Sapienza University of Rome|
Pier Carlo Padoan (born Rome January 19, 1950) is an Italian economist and politician.
Until 2007, he was Professor of Economics at the University of Rome. From 1992 until 2001 he also was professor at the College of Europe, Bruges and Warsaw, and a visiting professor since 2001. He is a past visiting professor at Université Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium, University of Urbino, Italy, Universidad de la Plata, Argentina, and University of Tokyo, Japan. He has published in the field of European economics and political economy.
From 1998 until 2001 he was economic adviser to Italian Prime Ministers Massimo D'Alema and Giuliano Amato during EU budget negotiations like Agenda 2000, and the Lisbon Agenda, at summits of the European Council and the G8.
He was an International Monetary Fund official from 2001-05 as the Italian Executive Director and as Board Member in charge of European coordination. He is a Consultant to the World Bank, European Commission and European Central Bank, where he has called for aggressive easing. He has been criticizing budget cutbacks in the euro zone's weakest economies, struggling with debt which he has called periphery countries.
Since June 2007 he has been Deputy Secretary General at the OECD in Paris, and their chief economist since 2009. He is the OECD 's G20 Finance Deputy,leads the initiatives 'Strategic Respons'e, 'Green Growth' and 'Innovation'.
On fiscal politics
"I am of the view that the very tight fiscal rules which Europe currently has in place could be temporarily relaxed in order to make the necessary resources available to boost employment. This would be self-sustaining ..."
- World Economic Forum, European and multinational corporate stakeholders 
- Fondazione Italianieuropei, Director, Italian policy think-tank of economic and social issues.
Padoan edited 14 books from 1986 until 2010 with titles in English as follows:
- Innovation and Growth: Chasing a Moving Frontier by Vandana Chandra, Deniz Eröcal, Pier Carlo Padoan and Carlos A. Primo Braga. OECD, World Bank 2010. 
- The Marshall Plan: Lessons Learned for the 21st Century by OECD Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, Eliot, M.D. Sorel and Pier Carlo Padoan. 2008
- Euro-American Trade and Financial Alliances, 2005 book, editor 
- The Structural Foundations of International Finance, 2003 book, editor "advocates entrepreneurial co-ordination by productive enterprises"
- A Transatlantic Perspective on the Euro, 2000 paperback, editor  euro as potential global currency
- Monetary Union, Employment and Growth by Pier Carlo Padoan. 2001
- Technology accumulation and diffusion: is there a regional dimension? by Pier Carlo Padoan, World Bank. 1997
- Trade and the accumulation and diffusion of knowledge by Pier Carlo Padoan, World Bank. 1996
- Europe between East and South by Siro Lombardini and Pier Carlo Padoan. 1994
- Political Economy of European Integration: Markets and Institutions by Paolo Guerrieri and Pier Carlo Padoan. 1989
- Political Economy of International Co-Operation by Pier Carlo Padoan and Paolo Guerreri. 1988
- The Political Economy of International Financial Instability by Pier Carlo Padoan. 1986
- "PierCarlo.Padoan". College of Europe. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- "Italy's Renzi set to unveil new cabinet". Reuters. 2014-02-21. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- "What’s Holding Europe Back?" (interview). Canadian International Council. OpenCanada.org. November 21, 2013. Retrieved 21 February 2014. "For example, there is the so-called contractual agreement hypothesis, which is basically that countries should be allowed to have more fiscal space if they commit to changing labour market rules to support increased employment"
- "Pier Carlo Padoan". WEForum. Retrieved 2014-02-21.
- Boyd, Gavin; Alan M. Rugman; Pier Carlo Padoan (2005). European-American Trade And Financial Alliances. Edward Elgar Pub. ISBN 1843769077. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- Padoan, Pier Carlo; Paul A. Brenton; Gavin Boyd (2003). The Structural Foundations of International Finance. Edward Elgar Pub. ISBN 1843763869. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- Henning, C. Randall; PierPaolo Padoan (2000). Transatlantic Perspectives on the Euro. Brookings Institution Press and the European Community Studies Association. ISBN 0815735596.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pier Carlo Padoan.|
- Declaration of financial interests Italian Parliament (to be uploaded)
|Minister of Economy and Finances