Pierce the Veil
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
|Pierce the Veil|
|Origin||San Diego, California, U.S.|
|Genres||Post-hardcore, emo, experimental rock, progressive rock,|
|Labels||Equal Vision, Fearless|
|Associated acts||Isles & Glaciers, Underminded, Before Today, Early Times, Sleeping with Sirens|
Pierce the Veil is an American post-hardcore band from San Diego, California. Formed in 2006, the band was founded by brothers Vic and Mike Fuentes after the disbandment of the group Before Today (formerly Early Times), which was formed out of the San Diego punk rock scene. Other members of the band include Jaime Preciado (bass) and Tony Perry (lead guitar). Pierce the Veil has released three studio albums and has continuously been inducted into several worldwide tours since the release of their debut album, A Flair for the Dramatic in 2007. The band released their second full-length studio album, titled Selfish Machines in 2010. Their third and latest album, Collide with the Sky, was released in 2012, and is their first album under the major record label Fearless Records. Featuring the hit first single "King for a Day", the album debuted at No. 12 on the Billboard 200. The band's fourth studio album is set to be released in early 2015 through Fearless.
- 1 History
- 2 Band members
- 3 Discography
- 4 Awards and Nominations
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Early years and A Flair for the Dramatic (2007–2009)
Pierce the Veil was founded by Mike Fuentes and Vic Fuentes in 2006, after the disbandment of Before Today. The brothers continued to write songs together and eventually came up with enough material for a new full-length album. Still backed by their label, Equal Vision Records, they wrote and recorded an entire album on their own in Seattle, WA with Producer Casey Bates. The brothers released the album A Flair for the Dramatic on June 26, 2007 under a new name: Pierce the Veil, which is derived from two songs from Before Today's album, A Celebration of an Ending. Soon after, Pierce the Veil acquired new members Tony Perry (guitar) and Jaime Preciado (bass). Pierce the Veil toured vigorously for about 3 months after the release of A Flair for the Dramatic. They have toured with bands such as A Day to Remember, Chiodos, From First to Last, Emery, All Time Low, Sleeping with Sirens, The Devil Wears Prada and Mayday Parade.
In November 2007, Pierce the Veil performed one date on the Vans Warped Tour 2007, and were on the entire tour in 2008. They also played the Bamboozle Left in 2008. Their first headlining tour, called The Delicious Tour, which took place in October–November 2008, featured Breathe Carolina, Four Letter Lie and Emarosa. They ended their record cycle with the Taste of Chaos 2009 tour along with Bring Me the Horizon, Thursday, Four Year Strong and Cancer Bats. Vic and Mike Fuentes with Ayrton Jara confirmed to be included in the new project and supergroup Isles & Glaciers, featuring vocalists Craig Owens of D.R.U.G.S. and Jonny Craig of Dance Gavin Dance and formerly of Emarosa. The "supergroup" released its first EP titled The Hearts of Lonely People on March 9, 2010. However Isles & Glaciers has broken up, saying "Isles & Glaciers was only a one time thing".
Selfish Machines (2009–2011)
During August 2009, Pierce the Veil announced that they were currently in studio recording new material for their next album. After a few months off the road and building anticipation for their sophomore release, the band moved to Los Angeles to record their album Selfish Machines with Producer Mike Green. Singer and lyricist Vic Fuentes stated, "The title refers to human nature and the animal-like qualities inside all of us that we try and hide, but should just learn to accept. We are all selfish machines and we all have natural tendencies to want, love, and take." Selfish Machines was released on June 21, 2010 under Equal Vision Records and made it to No. 1 on the Billboard Heatseekers Chart. In support of the release, the band played a number of festivals including Bamboozle Left, South by Southwest, Never Say Never Festival, and the Vans Warped Tour. The band also contributed a cover of Blue Öyster Cult's classic song "(Don't Fear) The Reaper" to the Punk Goes Classic Rock compilation, released on April 27, 2010. They were a part of the Take Action Tour with Attack Attack! that went to New Zealand and Australia, and also played on the Versus Tour in Japan with Confide. They played the "This Is a Family Tour" with Emmure, In Fear and Faith, Of Mice & Men, and Attack Attack!, which lasted until late December 2010.
Pierce the Veil also played at the Fox Theater in Pomona as a surprise appearance as part of the Alternative Press Tour 2010 with bands such as August Burns Red, Bring Me the Horizon, Polar Bear Club, Emarosa, and This Is Hell. On November 1, 2010, the band announced that they will be kicking off 2011 touring with Silverstein, Miss May I, The Chariot, and A Bullet for Pretty Boy on the "Winterizer Tour". Throughout March and April, "The Gamechanger's Tour" with A Day to Remember, Bring Me the Horizon, and label mates We Came as Romans followed. They also co-headlined the second leg of Escape the Fate's headlining tour "The Dead Masquerade". After taking the summer off to spend some more time on writing new material, the band was supposed to head out on their first ever South American Tour supporting Sum 41 in September; however, due to illness of Sum 41's frontman, the tour was cancelled. They finished up the year touring Europe with blessthefall and co-headlined the No Guts No Glory Tour with Miss May I afterwards. They once again contributed to an "Punk goes..." album, Punk Goes Pop 4, covering the song "Just the Way You Are" by Bruno Mars, which was released on November 21, 2011.
Fearless Records and Collide with the Sky (2011–2013)
On August 23, 2011, Pierce the Veil signed with Fearless Records. On December 22, 2011, a video update revealed in that in early 2012, the band will be going into the studio to record their 3rd studio album. On December 26, 2011, Vic Fuentes announced on the band's Facebook page that the band is finishing up writing the songs for their third album, which they began writing during the summer and while on tour with Miss May I, Woe Is Me, The Amity Affliction and letlive during November–December, and that now they'll be picking a producer to work with them on the album in early 2012. On February 27, 2012, The band issued an update on their official Facebook page stating that they have chosen to work with producers Dan Korneff and Kato Khandwala at the House of Loud in New Jersey, on their upcoming third album. On April 20, 2012, it was announced that the new album would be titled Collide with the Sky and would be released through Fearless Records on July 17, 2012. On May 17, 2012, the album cover as well as the tracklist of the new album were revealed, together with the announcement of the band's first ever UK headlining tour in September 2012. The first single from the new album, King for a Day, features Kellin Quinn of Sleeping with Sirens and was released on June 5, 2012, followed by the second single, Bulls in the Bronx, three weeks later on June 26, 2012.
In order to promote the album, the band appeared on the Vans Warped Tour from June, 16 to August 5, 2012, playing the event's main stage for the first time. They were regularly joined on stage by Kellin Quinn to perform King for a Day together. After Warped, Pierce the Veil embarked on their first headlining tour in the UK, selling out almost all of the dates. Their following headlining tour in the US, The Collide With The Sky tour, saw a similar success. They ended the year appearing at #33 in Rock Sound magazine's best albums of 2012 list as well as winning nine categories in the best of 2012 reader's poll conducted by Alternative Press, including Best Live Band of the Year, Album of the Year and Artist of the Year. On January 9, 2013 Vic Fuentes released information that he had recently been in the studio writing new songs with Tom Denney.
On January 7, 2013, Pierce the Veil and pop-punk band All Time Low announced that they would be co-headlining the Spring Fever Tour that spring. Both bands toured across the United States, along with opening acts Mayday Parade and You Me At Six. The tour began on April 11, 2013 and ended on May 12, 2013. Toward the end of the tour, on May 7, 2013, the music video for Pierce the Veil's song "Bulls in the Bronx" was released.
This Is a Wasteland and upcoming fourth album (2013–present)
On September 23, 2013 the band announced plans to release a documentary detailing their first world tour on November 11. The documentary will include live footage from their world tour, three music videos and more. The band released this statement on the documentary: "Our first world tour was absolutely the craziest experience of our lives.. and we filmed EVERYTHING! Follow along as we visit uncharted territories in search of the best shows and thrilling experiences we could absolutely find along the way. This DVD is for the fans and the fans only. Thank you for letting us travel the world and share this adventure with you!" - Vic, Mike, Tony, and Jaime
On October 18, 2013 the band launched preorders for their documentary with a new release date of November 25.
On December 23, 2013 the band released a holiday update announcing that they will have a new album coming out in 2014 again through Fearless Records. In an article in the Oakland Press the musicians said they started writing new material together with Tom Denney while being on tour with Mayday Parade, You Me at Six and All Time Low. The band finished writing new music after the winter European tour with Bring Me the Horizon in December 2013. In an interview with Poppy Reid of The Music Network in the beginning of 2013 during the band's appearance at Soundwave Festival in Australia the musicians told about collaborating with Jenna McDougall of Tonight Alive in one song of the upcoming record. In the mid of May 2014 Pierce the Veil started pre-workings for the new record. On June 5, 2014 Tony Perry and Vic Fuentes announced they would fly to New Jersey to start recording their new album together with Dan Korneff. In an interview with Alternative Press Vic Fuentes stated that the new album is slated for an early 2015 release. The reason for the dropped back release date is that the band is few weeks behind due to two songs which the musicians wrote while they were recording the new album in the studio with producer Dan Korneff. The band hopes to release the album in the Spring of 2015.
On July 21, Vic Fuentes and Kellin Quinn of Sleeping with Sirens announced a co-headlining world concert tour. The tour shall start on November 5, 2014 in Fresno. They first announced the first North America leg with 20 concerts with support from Beartooth and This Wild Life. A month later, on August 22, 2014 the band confirmed the second leg of the concert tour which will be in Europe. Between March 20, 2015 and April 11, 2015 Pierce the Veil will play concerts in the Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden, Germany and in the UK. Before heading to Europe the band is set to play a second US leg with support from PVRIS and Mallory Knox.
- Vic Fuentes – lead vocals, guitars, keyboards (2006–present)
- Mike Fuentes – drums, percussion (2006–present)
- Tony Perry – guitars (2007–present)
- Jaime Preciado – bass guitar, vocals (2007–present)
- Studio albums
Awards and Nominations
- PETA2 Liberation Awards
- 2010: Breakthrough Artist (won)
- San Diego Music Awards
- 2010: Best Alternative Album for Selfish Machines (nominated)
- Kerrang! Awards
- 2013: Best Video for King for a Day (won)
- 2013: Best Single for King for a Day (nominated)
- 2013: Best International Newcomer (nominated)
- 2013: Best International Band (nominated)
- Rock Sound Readers Poll
- 2013: Band of the Year (won)
- Revolver Golden Gods Awards
- 2014: Best Film/Video for This Is a Wasteland (won)
- Alternative Press Music Awards
- Apar, Corey. "Pierce the Veil | Music Biography, Credits and Discography". AllMusic. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
- October 24, 2012 - by Victoria Patneaude (2012-10-24). "Interview with Pierce the Veil". Rock Edition. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
- "Pierce the Veil Releases New Album With Progressive Sound". toonaripost. September 17, 2012. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "Pierce the Veil". sputnikmusic. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "Pierce The Veil". San Diego Reader. Retrieved 15 January 2015.
- Altpress.com, (December 2008).
- "Tijdlijnfoto's". Facebook. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
- "Tijdlijnfoto's". Facebook. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
- "Pierce The Veil announce new album, 'Collide With The Sky' - Alternative Press". Altpress.com. 2012-04-20. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
- "Pierce the Veil just announced that... - Vans Warped Tour". Facebook. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
- http://tumblr.piercetheveil.net/post/23235080713/hey-yall-vic-here-so-its-been-a-long-and-in[dead link]
- "Rock Sound’s 50 Best Albums Of 2012 Part Two! | Features | Features | Rock Sound". Rocksound.tv. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
- "AP Readers Poll 2012: Results Master Post - Alternative Press". Altpress.com. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
- "Vic Fuentes Writing Session With Tom Denney - Underdog Press". Underdogpress.tumblr.com. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
- Zarrillo, Zack (2013-01-10). "Pierce The Veil Frontman Writing With Tom Denney (ex-ADTR)". PropertyOfZack. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
- "Pierce The Veil and All Time Low announce co-headlining tour dates; YMAS, Mayday Parade to support - Alternative Press". Altpress.com. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
- "Pierce the Veil Debuts New Video For 'Bulls in the Bronx'". Purevolume.com. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
- Gary Graff: Oakland Press: SOUND CHECK: Pierce The Veil on career high, curates 'mini block party'
- SOSGermany: Outspoken Magazine: PIERCE THE VEIL schreiben an neuem Album! (German)
- Dariush: Impericon: Impericon: Pierce The Veil Interview
- Poppy Reid: The Music Network: Pierce the Veil: Accidental Heroes
- Tyler Sharp: Alternative Press: Pierce The Veil working on new album
- SOSGermany: Outspoken Magazine: PIERCE THE VEIL demnächst im Studio! (German)
- Ryan J. Downey: Alternative Press: “We like to use up every bit of time and sanity that we have.”—Pierce The Veil In The Studio
- Jon Ableson: Alter the Press!: Pierce The Veil Announce World Tour
- Rock Sound: THE PIERCE THE VEIL / SLEEPING WITH SIRENS WORLD TOUR IS COMING TO EUROPE!
- Matt Crane: Alternative Press: Pierce The Veil, Sleeping With Sirens announce second leg of U.S. tour
- Tyler Sharp: Alternative Press: PVRIS, Mallory Knox added to Sleeping With Sirens, Pierce The Veil tour
- Peta2: Pierce the Veil loves animals
- San Diego Music Awards: All nominees
- Rhian Jones: Musicweek: All the winners
- Rock Sound: Pierce the Veil - Band of the Year according to You!
- Sammi Chichester: Revolver: Video: Pierce the Veil Accept the Best Film & Video Award, Presented by Eagle Rock Entertainment, at the Revolver Golden Gods
- Annie Zaleski: Loudwire: Once-in-a-Lifetime Performances Highlight Inaugural Alternative Press Music Awards