Princess Elizabeth of Greece and Denmark
|Countess of Toerring-Jettenbach|
|Spouse||Carl Theodor, Count of Toerring-Jettenbach|
|Issue||Count Hans Veit
|House||House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg|
|Father||Prince Nicholas of Greece and Denmark|
|Mother||Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna of Russia|
24 May 1904|
Tatoi Palace, Tatoi, Greece
|Died||11 January 1955
Munich, Bavaria, Germany
Princess Elisabeth of Greece and Denmark (Greek: Πριγκίπισσα Ελισάβετ της Ελλάδας και Δανίας) (24 May 1904 – 11 January 1955) was the middle daughter of Prince Nicholas of Greece and Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna of Russia.
Elizabeth was born on 24 May 1904 at Tatoi, Greece. Her family nicknamed her 'Woolly' because her thick, dark brown hair. Princess Elisabeth was a horsewoman and painter. Her sisters, Olga and Marina, married into reigning dynasties.
Marriage and issue
Elisabeth married Carl Theodor, Count of Toerring-Jettenbach, who was known as "Toto." Carl Theodor was the head of a German mediatized comital family also closely related to several then-ruling dynasties: his mother was a sister of Queen Elisabeth of the Belgians and of Princess Marie Gabrielle of Bavaria. Count Toerring-Jettenbach was named for his grandfather, Duke Karl Theodor in Bavaria. Elisabeth and Carl Theodor had two children:
- Hans Veit Kaspar Nikolaus, Count of Toerring-Jettenbach, born 11 January 1935 married a granddaughter of Archduchess Anna of Tuscany (1879-1962), a daughter of Ferdinand IV, Grand Duke of Tuscany.
- Countess Helene Marina Elisabeth of Toerring-Jettenbach, born 20 May 1937 in Winhöring castle, Bavaria married in a civil ceremony on 6 Apr 1956 at Schloß Seefeld, Munich and in a religious ceremony at Seefeld am Pilnsee, Bavaria on 10 Apr 1956 to Archduke Ferdinand Karl of Austria (Vienna 6 Dec 1918-Ulm 6 Aug 2004). Her second child was the well known socialite and fashion model Archduchess Sophie, who married Mariano Hugo, Prince of Windisch-Graetz.
Elisabeth died of cancer on 11 January 1955 in Munich. She was 50 years old.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 24 May 1904 – 10 January 1934: Her Royal Highness Princess Elisavet of Greece and Denmark
- 10 January 1934 – 11 January 1955: Her Royal Highness Princess Elisavet, Countess of Toerring-Jettenbach (German: Prinzessin Elisabeth, Gräfin zu Toerring-Jettenbach)
- McNaughton, C. Arnold. "The Book of Kings: A Royal Genealogy". 3 volumes. London, U.K.: Garnstone Press, 1973, ISBN = 978-0812902808
- Wedding of Juan Carlos of Spain and Sophia of Greece
Media related to Princess Elizabeth of Greece and Denmark at Wikimedia Commons