|This article does not cite any references or sources. (October 2010)|
The Protezione Civile (Civil Defence) department is the national body in Italy that deals with the prediction, prevention and management of exceptional events.
The term Protezione Civile outlines all the facilities and activities used by the state to protect the sake of life, the properties, the settlements and the environment from damages and dangers caused by natural catastrophes.
In order to cope with the risky and difficult situations, the Protezione Civile needs a great deal of volunteers and all the other existing forces. The current chief is Franco Gabrielli, a former police and intelligence officer.
Protezione Civile also provides transport needs for the Government of Italy.
- AgustaWestland AW109: 3 A109A, 2 A109E and 1 A109K2 for Utility/Transport
- AgustaWestland AW139: 2 - for transport
- Piaggio P180 Avanti: 2 - for VIP transport
- Canadair CL-415: 19 for aerial firefighting
- Canadair CL-215: 6 are operated by contractor Societa Ricerche Esperienze Meteorologiche (SOREM) since 1998.
- Rome-Ciampino: Ciampino–G. B. Pastine International Airport
- Albenga (Genova): Albenga Airport
- Olbia (Sardinia): Olbia Costa Smeralda Airport
- Reggio Calabria (Calabria): Reggio Calabria Airport
- Trapani (Sicilia): Vincenzo Florio Airport – Trapani Birgi
|This article about an organisation based in Italy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|