||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2012)|
Prurient in 2007.
|Birth name||Ian Dominick Fernow|
|Genres||Noise, power electronics, experimental, industrial|
|Instruments||Amplifier, microphone, drums, vocals, synthesizer|
|Labels||American Tapes, Hanson Records, RRRecords, Load Records, Troubleman Unlimited, Chrondritic Sound, Hospital Productions, Kitty Play Records|
Prurient is the performing name of Ian Dominick Fernow. Affectionately known as Dom Guwop, he has released material on numerous independent record labels, such as American Tapes, Hanson Records, RRRecords, Load Records, Troubleman Unlimited, Chrondritic Sound, Kitty Play Records, and his own label Hospital Productions. Since the 2000s, Prurient has become one of the most well-known and influential names in noise music,, and has been covered in outlets such as The New Yorker, Pitchfork Media and The Village Voice.
Fernow has also recorded music under a variety of aliases, including Vatican Shadow, Rainforest Spiritual Enslavement, Exploring Jezebel, River Magic, inter Soldier, Window Cleaning By Ian, December Magic and Tortured Hooker.
In his work as Prurient, Fernow works primarily with a microphone and amplifier, and sometimes drums. On some releases he has been joined by Ben Barnett, Richard Dunn (FFH), John Wiese, Jeff Plummer (Immaculate:Grotesque, Shallow Waters), Kris Lapke (Alberich, MCMS), Sickness, Wolf Eyes, Macronympha, Philip Best, Sutcliffe Jugend, The Hototogisu, Carlos Giffoni, Wilt, Grunt, Nicole 12, and Emily Salvatierra. Fernow was born in Wisconsin, lived in New York, and then moved to Los Angeles, where he now runs the labels Hospital Productions and Bed Of Nails. Fernow has also performed in various bands, such as Football Rabbit, Vegas Martyrs, Taylor Bow, Ash Pool (in which he also sings), and formerly as part of Cold Cave. More recently, Fernow has started marketing to the black metal audience with his label and creative works.
- A Simple Mark, cass (Hospital Productions)
- Persistence, cass, split with Potassium Cyanide Dogbane Sentiment (Beeshu Records)
- Body Language, LP (Peel Back the Sky)
- Collaboration CD with Richard Ramirez & Flatline Construct (Hospital Productions, Peel Back the Sky, Monorail Trespassing)
- Guide to Grooming, cass (Monorail Trespassing)
- Hunt in Couples, 7", split with ASD (Hospital Productions, Anti-Everything)
- Magnified Healing, CD, split with T.E.F. & Richard Ramirez (Hospital Productions, T.E.F.)
- Mater Dolorosa, CD (Hospital Productions)
- Mummification and Prayer, cass (Hospital Productions)
- White Plains Leather: Black River Falls, cass (Hospital Productions)
- Valve Testing (Electronic Musik compilation, 1 track: "Pastune as Well")
- Something Terrible Has Happened and I Need Your Help, cass (Monorail Trespassing)
- The History of Aids, CD (Hospital Productions/Armageddon)
- Live Prayer, 3", CD-R (Electronic Musik)
- Recycled Music, cass (RRRecords)
- Troubled Sleep, CD (Truculent Recordings)
- We Set off in High Spirits, cass (Gods of Tundra)
- 60 Minutes of Silence, cass (American Tapes)
- Fossil, CD (Truculent Recordings)
- Red Head, cass, with Pedestrial Deposit (RRRecords)
- Shipwreckers Diary, CD (Ground Fault)
- Starvation, cass (Hospital Productions)
- Sexual Magic, 2xCass (Hospital Productions)
- The Hidden Family/+White+, 12"/CD, with Kites (Load Records)
- African Division, cass (Hospital Productions)
- Black Vase, CD/LP (Load Records)
- Love and Romance, LP (Hospital Productions)
- The Baron's Chamber, CD (Nihilist Records)
- The Warriors, CD/LP (Hospital Productions/Gods of Tundra)
- Church of Ammunition, 7" (Troubleman Unlimited Records)
- Vegas Martyrs - Choking Doberman, 7" (Kitty Play Records)
- Heavy Rain Returns, CD, with Carlos Giffoni (iDEAL Recordings)
- Memory Repeating, 7" (AA Records)
- Pleasure Ground, CD (Load Records)
- Point and Void, CD (Ninth Circle Music)
- Snail on a Razor, CD, with Hototogisu (Hospital Productions)
- Cave Depression, 3x7" (No Fun Productions)
- Taylor Bow - Hate Fuck, 7" (Hospital Productions)
- Prurient, LP (Hanson Records)
- Split, with Mindflayer (Important Records)
- Terminal Cases, 2x3" CD, split with Death Unit (aRCHIVE recordings)
- The Golden Chamber, cass (Hospital Productions)
- All Are Guests in the House of the Lord, cass/CD, with Kevin Drumm (Hospital Productions)
- Cocaine Death, cass (Hospital Productions, edition of 46)
- Caribbean Overdose, cass (Hospital Productions, edition of 200)
- And Still, Wanting, CD + Shield 5" (No Fun Productions)
- Arrowhead, CD (Mego)
- Tylenol Murders, cass (Hospital Productions, edition of 20)
- Cocaine Death, CD (Hospital Productions)
- Time Began in a Garden, 2xC10 (edition of 100)
- The Black Post Society, CD (Cold Spring Records)
- Blood of the Lamb, LP, with Wilt (BloodLust!, edition of 100)
- Rose Pillar, 11" record, with book (Heartworm Press, edition of 500)
- Stars Explode, cass/LP, with Cold Cave (Hospital Productions)
- Many Jewels Surround the Crown, 7" (Hydra Head)
- Bermuda Drain, CD/LP/cassette (Hydra Head)
- Time's Arrow, Ep (Hydra Head)
- Stun Gun, 7" (Quasi Pop Records)
- Despiritualized, Cassette (Hospital Productions)
- Oxidation, Cassette (Hospital Productions)
- Worship is the Cleansing of the Imagination, 12" (split with JK Flesh) (Hydra Head)
- Wrapped in the Flame of Illusion, Masked in the Clay of Behavior, 2x7" (Dais Records)
- Through the Window, Cassette, Vinyl, CD (Blackest Ever Black)
- Washed Against The Rocks, 7" (Handmade Birds)
- Frozen Niagara Falls, 2CD/3xLP (Profound Lore)
- LLC, SPIN Media (September 2011). SPIN. SPIN Media LLC. pp. 88–. Retrieved 9 July 2012.
- Wilson, Scott. "Best reissues and archival releases: March". Juno Plus. Retrieved 3 April 2014.
- Stosuy, Brandon. "Show No Mercy". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- Doyle, Patrick. "The Top Ten Records that Recently Sold at Hospital Productions on East 3rd". The Village Voice. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- Semtexinc.com Dead Link
- Nix, Peter. "A Guide to Dominick Fernow". Redbull Music Academy. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- "Prurient starts new label Bed Of Nails". The Wire. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- "Boyd Rice Returns to Noise Roots With Cold Cave and Z’ev". self-titled magazine. Retrieved 4 December 2013.