|This article relies on references to primary sources. (November 2013)|
|Area served||UK, Europe, Asia|
RS Components, commonly known as RS, is a global industrial component distributor whose headquarters are based in Corby in the United Kingdom. It distributes to the United Kingdom, most of Europe and Asia and is part of the Electrocomponents group.
RS Components and Allied Electronics are the trading brands of Electrocomponents plc, the world's leading high service distributor of electronics and maintenance products. With operations in 32 countries, they offer around 500,000 products through the internet, catalogues and at trade counters to over one million customers, shipping more than 46,000 parcels on the same day the orders are received. Products are sourced from 2,500 Global suppliers, include electronics, automation and control, test and measurement, electrical and mechanical components.
Electrocomponents is listed on the London Stock Exchange and in the last financial year ended 31 March 2013 had revenues of £1.24bn.
RS Components was founded by J.H. Waring and P.M. Sebestyen in 1937 in London under the name Radiospares supplying radio repair shops with spare parts. When televisions became popular, television parts were added to Radiospares' product list. By the end of World War II, the company had evolved into a large national distribution company. In 1954, the founders of Radiospares expanded the company's focus from shops and home users to the industrial sector and began selling electronic components. The company rebranded as RS Components in 1971. Celebrating its 75th anniversary in 2012, RS continues to be a market-leading business with a global presence. In that time, RS has become the number one high-service distributor of electronics and maintenance products across Europe and Asia Pacific. Sourced from 2,500 Global suppliers, the broad product range includes electronics, automation and control, test and measurement, electrical and mechanical components. RS now has operating companies in 32 countries, including France, Italy and Germany, with operations as far afield as Chile, New Zealand and China. Offering around 500,000 products through the Internet, catalogues and at trade counters to over one million customers, the company ships more than 46,000 parcels on the same day the orders are received.
- First electronics and maintenance company to have an own label range (1937)
- First distributor to offer free next day delivery (1937)
- Corby distribution centre opened in 1984
- First catalogue distributor to introduce a CD Rom version (1995)
- Nuneaton distribution centre opened in 1997, adding half a million square feet of warehouse space in the UK
- First transactional website in the industry, launched in 1998
- First free-to-access PCB schematic tool, DesignSpark PCB, in the industry (2010)
- iPad version of customer magazine, eTech, launched in 2011
- First to launch a specialist app, MyLocalRS, for its branch network (2012)
RS Components is part of the Electrocomponents group, which trades as RS across the world except in North America where it trades as Allied Electronics. The group distributes more than 550,000 products, including electronics, automation and control, test and measurement, electrical and mechanical components, to over one million customers globally.
Electrocomponents has operations in 32 countries and distributors in a further 37 countries; this represents around 90% of the world’s GDP. The company uses a variety of channels to market including selling via eCommerce, catalogues and trade counters.
The group has 17 distribution centres across the world.
In 2003, RS Components was awarded 'E-Business Strategy of the Year' by the UK National Business Awards. In 2011, the company was named 'Distributor of the Year' and 'Company of the Year' at the 2011 Elektra European Electronics Industry awards.
RS Components stocks around 500,000 products across its regional warehouses. It also sells and distributes a significant amount of Raspberry Pi computers worldwide.
The major product categories and ranges include:
- Power Management
- Development Kits
- Data Convertors
- Raspberry Pi
2) Automation & control
- Machine Guarding
- Electric motors
- Circuit protection
- PLCs’ HMI
3) Electrical, test & measurement equipment
- LED Lamps
- Electrical Cables
- Cable Accessories
- DC-DC Convertors
- Tools & Tool Storage
- Safety & Security
- Fasteners & fixings
- In 2003, RS Components was awarded the E-Business Strategy of the Year award by the UK National Business Awards.
- In 2011, RS Components was named 'Distributor of the Year' and 'Company of the Year' at the 2011 Elektra European Electronics Industry awards.
- In 2012, RS Components was awarded ‘Online Distributor of the year’ by Cherry Electrical Products.
- In 2012, RS Components was awarded ‘Digital Marketing’ at the Chartered Institute of Marketing Excellence awards.
- In 2013, RS Components was named as ‘Online Distributor of the Year 2012’ by Cherry Electrical Products, part of the ZF Group.
- In 2013, RS Components scooped the prestigious 2013 ‘European Distribution of General Purpose Test Equipment Customer Service Leadership Award’, at a recent ceremony held at the Westin Paris Vendome. Awarded by Frost & Sullivan (F&S).
- In 2013, RS was awarded the silver award in the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) at the Occupational Health & Safety Awards.
- In 2013, RS Components was honoured with winning ‘European Distribution Excellence’ Award from Souriau, a market leader in the design and manufacture of industrial interconnect solutions.
- In 2013, RS was awarded with ‘Best Email Marketing’ & ‘Best Multichannel Marketing’ at The Digitals 2013.
- In 2013 RS Components was awarded ‘Best use of Email Marketing’ at the Week Data Strategy awards.
- In 2013, RS Components was named as having the ‘Best in house Search team’ at the UK Search Awards.
- "About RS". RS Online.
- "Electrocomponents Home"
- "Electrocomponents factsheet". Electrocomponents.com.
- "Electrocomponents: Our channels to market". Electrocomponents.com.
- "Supply chain". Electrocomponents.com.
- "RS Components Scoop Top UK Award for Online Investment". National Business Awards. Archived from the original on 2003-12-19. Retrieved November 19, 2013.
- "2011 Winners: Business Awards". Electraawards.co.uk. Archived from the original on 2012-02-25. Retrieved 2003-12-19.
- "About Us". Corby Business Group.
- Parrish, Kevin (18 April 2013). "Raspberry Pi Now Shipping From RS Components, Allied". Toms Hardware. Retrieved 2013-11-20.
- Say, Mark (August 4, 2013). "RS Components launches Raspberry Pi bundles". TechRadar. Retrieved 2013-11-20.
- Morrison, Graham (6 August 2013). "'It would be fatal if we were still shipping the same Raspberry Pi in 2016'". Linux Format Issue 173. TechRadar. Retrieved 2013-11-20.
- Allied Electronics - Sister company in the US
- DesignSpark PCB - DesignSpark PCB is a schematic capture and PCB layout tool provided by RS Components.
- Electrocomponents plc - Parent Company of RS Components.