|Full name||Rene Gamarcha Herrera|
|Born||May 24, 1979|
|Height||5 feet 4 inches (1.63 m) (2012)|
|Weight||53 kilograms (117 lb) (2012)|
|Sport||Track and field|
Herrera was born and raised in Jordan, Guimaras. He is the son of Rodrigo Herrera, an establishment janitor, and Nenita, a former housekeeper. Herrera started running at high school although, for a time, he was primarily an amateur boxer, competing in that event until the age 17. He stopped boxing with a record of 20 fights and 5 loses. Subsequently, Herrera entered the annual Milo marathon that he won, enabling him to qualify for national competitions.
Herrera is a Philippine Navy seaman, 2nd class and has competed in Southeast Asian, Asian and Olympic Games.
2012 Summer Olympics
In 2012 London Olympic Games, Herrera made his Olympics racing debut in the 5000 metres. He qualified for the Olympics after winning silver at the Hong Kong Intercity Athletics Championships and becoming a five time gold medalist for the Southeast Asian games.
He was the oldest competitor for the Philippines at the Olympics
|3000m Steeplechase||8:49.39||Bangkok, Thailand||28.04.2004|
|5000m run||14:44.11||London, United Kingdom||08.08.2012|
|2012||2012 Summer Olympics||London, United Kingdom||42nd||5000 m||14:44.11 PB|
|Hong Kong Intercity Athletics Championships||Hong Kong, China||2nd||5000 m||15:01.73|
|2011||South East Asian Games||Palembang, Indonesia||1st||3000 m steeplechase||8:52.23|
|Asian championships||Kobe, Japan||8th||3000 m steeplechase||9:12.34|
|2010||Asian Games||Guangzhou, China||8th||3000 m steeplechase||9:02.93|
|Malaysian Open||Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia||1st||3000 m steeplechase||9:00.53|
|2009||South East Asian Games||Vientiane, Myanmar||1st||3000 m steeplechase||9:11.20|
|2008||Ho Chi Minh Int'l||Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam||3000 m steeplechase [Gold]||9:00.01|
|2007||South East Asian Games||Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat), Thailand||1st||3000 m steeplechase||8:54:21|
|2006||Asian Games||Doha, Qatar||6th||3000 m steeplechase||9:05.70|
|Philippine Olympic Festival||Palayan City, Philippines||1st||3000 m steeplechase||8:58.9|
|2005||South East Asian Games||Manila, Philippines||1st||3000 m steeplechase||8:56:14|
|World Cross Country Championships||Saint-Galmier, France||128||Men's Short cross||13:42|
|2004||World Half Marathon Championships||New Delhi, India||73rd||Half marathon||1:15:06|
|2003||South East Asian Games||Hanoi, Vietnam||1st||3000 m steeplechase||8:50.78|
|2008 incheon international half marathonIncheon Korea 8th-1:05:59 PB
- International Association of Athletics Federations - IAAF, (2011) "Herrera Rene," Philippine Atlethe Biographies: Home of world atlethes.
- Luarca, Roy (2011) "SEA Games: Rene Herrera defends steeplechase crown as athletics gets going", Philippine Daily Inquirer November 11th
- InterAKTV, (2011) "Pinoys harvest golds in taekwondo, athletics," SEA Games Wrap ABC Development Corporation.November 12
- AdrianSprints.com Athletics Performances Centre; RENE HERRERA Biography Retrieved August 21, 2010
- Melendres, Ted S. (2012) Rene Herrera takes crack at 5,000m, Philippine Daily Inquirer August 8th,
- Dyan Castillejo and Rose Eclarinal (2012)"Filipino Olympian: Rene Herrera", ABS-CBNnews.com Sports Retrieved 07/21
- Pirie Enzo the Sea Games championship in that event from 2003 and beyond. Featured Athlete: Rene Herrera, Athletics – 3000m Steeplechase, HyperSports (2012)
- Henson, Joaquin (2012) "Herrera sets example as senior Olympian", The Philippine Star Retrieved July 05
- Pirie Enzo, pinoyathletics (2012)]Herrera finishes last but new PB OG 5000M, August 9
- "Men's 5000m". London 2012 Organising Committee. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- Pirie Enzo, Hyper Sports (2011) " Rene Herrera, Athletics – 3000m Steeplechase", Featured Athlete