|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010)|
|Editor in Chief and Senior Vice President||Brett Anderson|
Group Publisher and Senior Vice President
|Company||CurtCo Robb Media, LLC|
|Based in||Malibu, California 90265|
|Language||English; other (see article)|
The Robb Report, originally titled Twentieth Century Confederates, was founded by Robert L "Rusty" White as a newsletter to sell his personal collection of Civil War memorabilia and Rolls-Royce automobiles. White distributed his newsletter to members of the Rolls-Royce Owners Club as mimeographed loose-leaf pages, and he provided a suede three-ring binder to paying subscribers. The publication matured into an advertorial, one of the first of its kind, catering to affluent clientele. The blend of advertising and editorial was broadcast to high-end, affluent consumers via advertisements in Architectural Digest.
In 2002, the "Robb Report" brand was sold for US$150 million to CurtCo Media, after which CurtCo was renamed Curtco Robb Media LLC; TD Capital[clarification needed] financed part of the acquisition. The Robb Report has partnered with Bespoke Collection to develop auction items for Auction Napa Valley.
In addition to featuring luxury products, the magazine also suggests travel plans, routinely mentioning many wealthy communities including Beverly Hills and La Jolla, California, along with Scottsdale, Arizona; Palm Beach, Florida; and Greenwich, Connecticut.
International editions include the Robb Report Arabia, Robb Report Russia, Robb Report Kazakhstan, Robb Report Turkey, Robb Report China, Robb Report Brazil, Robb Report Spain, Robb Report India, Robb Report Vietnam and Robb Report Singapore.
Management and headquarters
A number of other magazines are also published under the "Robb Report" brand including Collection and Home & Style
On July 30, 2007, the magazine, through Claymore Securities, introduced an exchange-traded fund (ETF), the Claymore/Robb Report Global Luxury Index ETF (NYSE: ROB). Claymore closed the fund and liquidated its assets in September 2010. The fund tracked a stock-market index that was designed to capture the opportunity created by companies whose primary business is the provision of global luxury goods and services. The designation of such firms as "luxury" was determined by the publisher of the magazine. The fund's investment adviser was Claymore Advisors, LLC.
The magazine in popular culture
- In the television series The Sopranos, the character Tony Soprano is shown reading the magazine in the episode "Live Free or Die" (first aired on April 16, 2006, during the series's sixth season).
- References in hip hop
- Kanye West mentions the magazine in a line in the remix of the song "Hold On" by Dwele.
- Jay-Z refers to the magazine in two songs, one in "The Watcher 2" on his studio album The Blueprint 2: The Gift & the Curse (2003). The second reference is in "Only A Customer" from the soundtrack album Streets Is Watching (2008) from the film of the same name.
- Common refers to the magazine in his song "Drivin Me Wild".
- Kool Keith is looking at the magazine in the song "Extravagant Traveller" on his studio album Matthew (2000).[clarification needed]
- Ludacris mentions the magazine in a line in the song "Spur of the Moment" on his studio album The Red Light District (2004).
- Black Rob released a studio album The Black Rob Report (2005).
- 50 Cent mentions the magazine in a line in the song "Strong Enough" on his studio album Before I Self Destruct (2009).
- Masthead. Robb Report. July 2010 issue.
- "Art and Wine". Gentry: 76–79. June 2010.
- Fell, Jason (24 October 2008). "Robb Report on Block, Again". Folio Magazine. Retrieved 10 October 2013.
- Levere, Jane L. (7 October 2013). "A St. Regis New York Face-Lift Spurs a Glamour Campaign". The New York Times. Retrieved 10 October 2013.
- Press release (July 30, 2007). "Claymore Securities Launches First Global Luxury ETF — ETF Tracks the Robb Report Global Luxury Index", Business Wire (via FindArticles). Accessed July 29, 2010.
- "Claymore to Shutter Four Low Volume ETFs" Seeking Alpha Date: 08-10-2010.
- robbreport, official website
- robbreport.ru, official website of Russian-language edition
- claymore.com, Claymore Securities official website