|Member of Parliament
1 May 1997
|Preceded by||John Devereux Ward|
15 August 1956 |
Chippenham, Wiltshire, England
|Spouse(s)||(1) Nicola Guy div. 1999
(2) Fiona Mellersh
Educated at Colston's School, Bristol. He was leader of North Wiltshire District Council from 1984-7 and a Wiltshire County Councillor from 1985-97. He was managing director of his family's plant hire firm in Bristol Road in Chippenham.
He retains a directorship and shareholding in Marden Holdings Ltd headquartered in Bristol Road, Chippenham.
He contested Walsall North in 1992. He was elected to the House of Commons in the 1997 general election. Served on opposition front bench from 1998-2007 Chairman Regulatory Reform select committee from July 2010-September 2012. Member of the Coalition Government as an Assistant Government Whip from September 2012- October 2013 .
He married Nicola Guy in March 1991 in Chippenham, but divorced in 1999. He married Fiona Mellersh in February 2000 in Kensington. They have a daughter (born July 2000) and a son (born November 2001). They are now separated.
- "House of Commons - The Register of Members' Financial Interests 5 Mar 2012". UK Parliament website. UK Parliament. Retrieved 21 March 2012.
- Robert Syms official site
- Guardian Unlimited Politics - Ask Aristotle: Robert Syms MP
- TheyWorkForYou.com - Robert Syms MP
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Robert Syms
- The Public Whip - Robert Syms MP voting record
- Poole Conservatives
- BBC News - Robert Syms MP profile 30 March 2006
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Poole
|This article about a Conservative Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom born in the 1950s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|