|Creator||likely Victor Bergeron|
|Main ingredients||Water chestnuts, liver (duck or chicken), bacon, soy sauce, ginger or brown sugar|
Rumaki or rumake is an hors d'oeuvre of mock-Polynesian origin. It was most likely invented by Victor Bergeron, known as Trader Vic. Its ingredients and method of preparation vary, but usually it consists of water chestnuts and pieces of duck or chicken liver wrapped in bacon and marinated in soy sauce and either ginger or brown sugar. Pastrami is often substituted for bacon when rumaki is prepared for kosher diners who avoid eating bacon.
In the television series The Simpsons (S10E11, "Wild Barts Cant be Broken"), bartender Moe is disappointed that nobody in his packed bar ate the rumaki he was serving.
On Mad Men, Betty serves rumaki for a dinner party she hosts for Don at their home in Ossining, in "A Night to Remember" (season 2), and later for a political gathering she hosts for Henry at their home in Rye, in "The Runaways" (season 7).
In Revenge of the Nerds, Lamar Latrelle suggests attendees "can pass the rumaki and the cheese puffs" as appetizers at a Tri-Lamb probationary membership party. This leads to Takashi Toshiro suggesting they also include "robster craws", and ultimately to Dudley "Booger" Dawson's famous line, "What the fuck are robster craws?".
- Vanderbilt, Amy (8 April 1970). "...And If You Don't Know What Rumaki Is". Palm Beach Post. p. 20. Retrieved 18 October 2010.
- Paddleford, Clementine (6 December 1958). "Have A Polynesian Party!". Spokane Spokesman-Review. pp. 41–42. Retrieved 18 October 2010.
- Heyhoe, Kate (2007). Great Bar Food at Home. Hoboken, New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons. p. 34. ISBN 978-0-471-78183-7.
- "Don the Beachcomber," Palm Springs, Calif., menu copyrighted 1941: "RUMAKI - Spiced Chicken Liver, Water Chestnuts wrapped in crisp Bacon ... 1.35."
- Revenge of the Nerds (Film) (in English). USA: Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, Interscope Communications. 1984. "YouTube title: Robster Craws"
|This bacon-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|