April 26, 1977 |
Milan, MI, Italy
|Rank||Captain in Italian Air Force|
Time in space
|Currently in space|
|Selection||2009 ESA Group|
|Missions||Soyuz TMA-15M (Expedition 42)|
On November 23, 2014, Soyuz TMA-15M carrying Cristoforetti and two other astronauts launched from the Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazakhstan. It successfully docked at the International Space Station roughly six hours later.
Cristoforetti was born in Milan in 1977. She spent her childhood in Malè, in Val di Sole, Trentino, Italy. She studied in Bolzano and Trento and graduated from the Technical University of Munich with a degree in Mechanical Engineering. She studied at the École nationale supérieure de l'aéronautique et de l'espace in Toulouse, France, and at the Mendeleev Russian University of Chemistry and Technology in Moscow, Russia.
Cristoforetti is fluent in Italian, English, German, French and Russian.
- Associated Press. "Crew docks at International Space Station". USA Today. Retrieved 24 November 2014.
- "ESA astronaut Samantha Cristoforetti set for Space Station in 2014". ESA website. July 3, 2012. Retrieved July 3, 2012.
- Samantha Cristoforetti - Futura Mission. European Space Agency, 2014.
- ESA biography
- Spacefacts biography of Samantha Cristoforetti
- @AstroSamantha on Twitter
- astrosamantha on Flickr