Second Battle of Brega
|Second Battle of Brega|
|Part of Libyan civil war|
|Anti-Gaddafi forces||Gaddafi Loyalists|
|Commanders and leaders|
|Casualties and losses|
|5-7 killed||25 killed, 71 captured (unconfirmed rebel claims)|
The Second Battle of Brega was a battle during the Libyan civil war. More than 10 days earlier, anti-Gaddafi forces beat back an attempt by loyalist forces to take the town on 2 March 2011, in the First Battle of Brega. Following that battle, rebel forces advanced along the Libyan Coastal Highway, taking the towns of Ra's Lanuf and Bin Jawad. However, after the Battle of Bin Jawad and the Battle of Ra's Lanuf, government troops retook all of the territory lost and were once again threatening Brega by mid-March.
The Battle 
On 13 March, regime's forces, advancing from Ra's Lanuf, succeeded in retaking Brega, though that night reports indicated that fighting was still ongoing and rebels possibly still controlled portions of the town. Reportedly, the rebels re-entered the town and heavy fighting ensued, after which government troops retreated to Brega's airport. However, just an hour later, it was stated that loyalist forces had pushed back rebel troops from the town to aj-Ojela, 20 kilometers east of Brega.
By the morning of 14 March, rebel forces were holding the residential district and loyalist forces were holding the oil facilities.
On 15 March, rebel forces had abandoned Brega and were in full retreat towards Ajdabiya. Ajdabiya itself came under ground attack just a few hours later, marking the beginning of the Battle of Ajdabiya.
On 26 March, after loyalists lost Ajdabiya and retreated further down the coast, rebel forces recaptured Brega. A few days later, loyalist troops returned again, recapturing the city after a prolonged battle with rebel forces.
|Wikinews has related news:|
- Abbas, Mohammed. "Gaddafi forces seize key town, G8 stalls on no-fly". Reuters India (Ajdabiya). Reuters. Retrieved 20 November 2011.
- "Live Blog - Libya March 2 | Al Jazeera Blogs". Al Jazeera. 1 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Potter, Mitch (2 March 2011). "The Star in Libya: Rebels quash Gadhafi raid". The Toronto Star (Toronto). Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Libya's war: Loyalist forces launch dual offensive as Gaddafi bribes opposition". Daily Mail Online (London). 15 March 2011. Retrieved 25 March 2011.
- 5 on 14 March, 2 on 15 March , total of 7 reported killed
- "Libyan rebels regain control of Brega". RTE News. 13 March 2011. Retrieved 25 March 2011.
- "Rebels reclaim Brega from Gaddafi forces after fierce fighting". MaltaToday. Retrieved 25 march 2011.
- "Libya Live Blog - March 13". Al Jazeera. March 13, 2011. Archived from the original on March 13, 2011. Retrieved March 13, 2011.
- "Libya: Gaddafi troops 'force rebels out of Brega'". BBC News. March 13, 2011. Archived from the original on March 13, 2011. Retrieved March 13, 2011.
- Lucas, Ryan; Hadid, Diaa (14 March 2011). "Gadhafi warplanes strike rebel-held Libya city". The Star Tribune. Associated Press. Retrieved 25 March 2011.
- Brown, Ben (26 March 2011). "Libya revolt: Rebels grab Ajdabiya from Gaddafi". BBC (Ajdabiya). Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- "Libyan rebels facing tough fight for Sirte". Al Jazeera. 26 March 2011. Retrieved 10 January 2012.
- Chivers, C.J. (1 April 2011). "Rebel Attack on Brega Ends in Stalemate". The New York Times.