Shake It (Metro Station song)
|Single by Metro Station|
|from the album Metro Station|
|Released||March 7, 2008
(See release history)
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Length||2:59 (album version)
3:04 (radio mix)
|Producer(s)||S*A*M and Sluggo|
|Certification||2x Platinum (RIAA)|
|Metro Station singles chronology|
"Shake It" is a song by American pop rock group Metro Station released as the third single (and debut British single) from their self-titled debut album. It is their first charting single, peaking at number ten on the Billboard Hot 100. Internationally, "Shake It" was a top ten hit in Australia, Canada, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom, Japan, Austria, Germany and New Zealand. The single was certified Gold by the RIAA on June 13, 2008 and later Platinum that year, until finally reaching 2x Platinum status at the end of January 2009. Metro Station appeared on TRL after the success of the song, serving milkshakes to the members of the crowd outside who could 'shake it' the best.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013)|
The music video for the song "Shake It" was inspired by fans who created their own versions of the video, 63 of which the band posted as a playlist on their YouTube account. The band has commented that the final product was based on the cult film The Warriors, with rival dance crews in place of gangs. The video features the four band members as they enter a theatre. Once inside the theatre, they perform the song while various dancers compete against each other around them. Cameos are made by online celebrity Jeffree Star and vocalist/guitarist Trace Cyrus' ex-girlfriend Hanna Beth as audience members watching the dancers perform. The video ends with the police entering the theatre and forcing everyone out.
- UK CD single
- "Shake It" (Radio Mix) - 3:04
- "Shake It (Lenny B Remix - Extended Version)" - 7:15
- "Comin' Around" - 2:40
- U.S. Digital Remix single
- "Shake It" [The Lindbergh Palace Remix] - 6:25
- "Shake It" [Lenny B Remix] - 3:22
|United Kingdom (Digital Download)||September 17, 2007||Sony BMG|
|Ireland (Digital Download)||September 18, 2007||Sony|
|Worldwide (Physical)||March 7, 2008||Sony BMG|
|United Kingdom (Physical)||March 23, 2008||Sony BMG|
|Canada (Digital Download)||April 22, 2008||Sony BMG|
|New Zealand (Digital Download)||June 30, 2008||Sony BMG|
|North America (Physical)||August 5, 2008||Sony BMG|
|Australia (Digital Download)||August 9, 2008||Sony BMG|
Use in media
- In the soundtrack of The House Bunny and on So You Think You Can Dance Canada.
- On the evening of April 7, 2008, Disney Channel had a bump that said: Shake It [Metro Station].
- It appeared on the season eight premiere of American Idol.
- It is also featured as a downloadable song for the Xbox 360 karaoke game, Lips.
- It was covered by a Portuguese boy band to be used in Sweet Strawberries (original title: Morangos Com Açúcar) season 7 soundtrack.
- The song was featured in 90210 when Annie and Ty were on a date in San Francisc 
- The song can be heard on a recent viral video of a young man's elaborately choreographed proposal to his girlfriend.
- The song was played during the opening of the episode When Cougars Attack of the show The Whole Truth, which first aired on October 27th, 2010.
- In the United Kingdom, the song is featured on a television commercial for Schwarzkopf's Live Colour XXL Shake It Up Foam. The ad premiered on British commercial TV stations in December 2011.
- In October 2013 this song accompanied the Fastrack Ads for watches in India.
- "Gold & Platinum - Searchable Database". RIAA. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- "RIAA News Room - Sasha's Fierce in '09 - Feb 13, 2009". Riaa.com. 2009-02-13. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- "Metro Station - Shake It - Music Charts". Acharts.us. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- "Canadian Hot 100 Chart". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- musicline.de / PhonoNet GmbH. "Chartverfolgung - Metro Station - Shake It/Premium". Musicline.de. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- "IRMA.ie". IRMA.ie. 2010-09-30. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- ds. "Sns Ifpi". Ifpicr.cz. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- Steffen Hung. "Swiss Charts - Singles Top 75 03.10.2010". swisscharts.com. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- "Archive Chart". 2009-04-11.
- "Artist Chart History - Metro Station". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- "Canadian Hot 100 Year-End 2008". Retrieved 2012-03-29.
- "Billboard Hot 100 Year-End 2008". Retrieved 2012-03-29.
- "Éves összesített listák - MAHASZ Rádiós TOP 100 (súlyozott)". Mahasz. Mahasz.
- ":: MTV | Single Jahrescharts 2009 | charts". Mtv.de. 2009-12-29. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- "Charts Plus Year end 2009" (PDF). Charts Plus. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- "Watch Videos | Metro Station and Axone Productions - Shake It Forever !!!". Metro Station Tickets. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- “” (2010-02-14). "Proposal in Park". YouTube. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- “” (2010-10-27). "When Cougars Attack". IMDb. Retrieved 2010-10-28.