The skyline of Shapingba.
Shapingba District in Chongqing
|Time zone||China Standard (UTC+8)|
Shapingba (simplified Chinese: 沙坪坝; traditional Chinese: 沙坪壩; pinyin: Shāpíngbà) is a district of Chongqing, People's Republic of China, it was formerly known as Shaci District (沙磁区) during the Sino-Japanese War. It is one of the most important parts of Chongqing, which covered around 396 square kilometers, 13 subdistricts, and 11 towns. Shapingba is one of the most densely populated areas in Chongqing, with a population of around one million.
Location and Geography
Before Shapingba District became a part of Chongqing, it belonged to Baxian(Now Banan District). In the early 1930s, Shapingba District belonged to Baxian First District, the government located at the Ciqikou (Longyin Town), the ancient section of town. During the period of the Second Sino-Japanese War, the Chiang Kai-shek’s government had moved to Chongqing, a great number of schools, factories and medical institutions settled in Shapingba. From then on Shapingba turned a place full of talent. On February 6, 1938, the Chongqing University, the Sichuan College of Education, the Chongqing Nankai Middle School, the Chongqing Electrical Steel Works and several institutions which settled at Shapingba from Beijing, Shanghai or Nanjing such as the National Central University, the China Radio International, and the Academia Sinica, also the business and the financial together set the Chongqing Shaci Cultural District.
- Huilongba (回龙坝镇)
- Fenghuang (凤凰镇)
- Qingmuguan (青木关镇)
- Zhongliang (中梁镇)
- Tuzhu (土主镇)
- Chenjiaqiao (陈家桥镇)
- Huxi (虎溪镇)
- Xiyong (西永镇)
- Gele Shan (歌乐山镇)
- Zengjia (曾家镇)
- Qinjiagang (覃家岗镇)
Shapingba District is famous for its educational and technical environments. It is also known as the cultural center of Chongqing. There are 7 colleges and universities included Chongqing University and Southwest University of Political Science and Law, over 60 research institutes, as well as 173 primary and secondary school. in addition, Chongqing College City has been under way since 2003.
Colleges and universities
- Chongqing University (重庆大学) (founded in 1929)
- Southwest University (西南大学) (built from a merger of the former Southwest China Normal University and Southwest Agricultural University, which founded in 1906 and 1950 respectively, in 2005)
- Third Military Medical University (第三军医大学)
- Chongqing Normal University (重庆师范大学)
- Southwest University of Political Science and Law (西南政法大学)
- Sichuan International Studies University (四川外语学院)
- Western Chongqing University (渝西学院)
Note: Institutions without full-time bachelor programs are not listed.
- Chongqing Nankai Middle School(重庆南开中学) (founded in 1936)
- Chongqing No.1 High School (重庆一中) (founded in 1955)
- Chongqing No.8 High School (重庆八中)
- Chongqing No.59 High School (重庆凤鸣山中学)
- Chongqing Yongchuan High School (重庆永川中学)
- Transportation to and from Shapingba has improved over the years. There are buses that run directly to most other districts including Jiangbei, Yuzhong and Jiulongpo.Three highways, Chengdu-Chongqing, Chongqing-Changshou and Shangqiao-Jieshi come across here. Within only half an hour, you would be possible to reach the Chongqing Jiangbei International Airport. Along the "Old Road" it is possible to reach Beibei, the farthest of the original nine districts within about one and a half hours. In addition, Chongqing's West Railway Station is located in Shapingba. Though departures and arrivals are somewhat limited at this station, it is quite useful for trips to nearby destations such as Guiyang or Dazhou.
- China National Highway 212
The industry of Shapingba mainly consists of motorcycle and car manufacture, electrical equipment, biologic-chemical industry and tertiary occupation. The state owned corporations include Jialing Group, Southwest Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd and Chongqing Pesticide Chemical Group, while private owned corporations include Chongqing HuiLi Ltd , Lifan Group, Yuan Group and Huayang Group.
Shapingba has a number of tourist attractions, monuments of Anti-Japanese War and Red Crag spirit. The Gele Shan several hundred years old town of Ciqikou and Lin's Garden are the most famous places among Shapingba's attractions. Sanxia Guangchang, the center of Shapingba was completed on November 8, 2003, served the citizens with its shopping, entertainment and leisure functions.