Desman performing in 2011
|Birth name||Shawn Bosco Fernandes|
|Born||January 12, 1982|
|Origin||Vaughan, Ontario, Canada|
|Genres||Pop, R&B, dance-pop|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, songwriter, record producer, dancer, choreographer, actor|
Shawn Bosco Fernandes (born January 12, 1982), better known by his stage name Shawn Desman, is a Canadian pop/R&B singer, songwriter, dancer, and actor of Portuguese descent. He is signed to Universal Music Canada.
Shawn Desman attended St. Francis of Assisi Elementary School in Toronto where he took part in many talent shows and events. In 1998, Shawn Fernandes was in the Boomtang Boys video for their song "Squeezetoy" as a dancer. He had a few recordings in English and Portuguese under his real name Shawn Fernandes before adopting the name Desman. According to his own account, he adopted the name Desman because in his youth his friends referred to him as "Dez, man" - thus creating his artistic pseudonym Desman.
His self-titled breakthrough album in 2002 featured three top ten singles ("Shook", "Spread My Wings" and "Get Ready") on the Canadian charts. The album went on to achieve gold certification in Canada. The single, "Spread My Wings", is a cover of the unreleased male group, Vega, featuring Chilli of TLC.
His follow-up album, Back for More garnered a Juno Award for Best R&B Recording which featured the number one hit single "Let's Go".
His recent album Fresh garnered two gold singles, one platinum single, Video of the Year at the Much Music Video Awards, Canadian Dance/Pop Song of the year at the Stylus Awards, as well as SOCAN Number 1 Award for Electric/Night Like This.
Shawn Desman is also a producer and has worked with various artists producing hit singles for Nick Carter, Kreesha Turner, Keshia Chante, Danny Fernandes, as well as contestants on YTV's The Next Star where he produced the song (One More First Chance) for Brock Zanrosso in 2009 and "It Might Be You" for contestant Parker Schmidt in 2011.
In 2013, Shawn Desman released his fourth studio album, Alive along with an accompanying short film of the same name. The album spawned two hit singles; "Nobody Does It Like You" and "Dum Da Dum".
- Shawn Desman contributed "Spread My Wings" to Jerry Bruckheimer's Kangaroo Jack (on Warner).
- He has collaborated with producers Tricky Stewart, Rodney Jerkins and The Dream.
- Collaborated with his brother Danny Fernandes on the single "Feel It" featured on Shawn's album Fresh.
- Shawn Desman's eponymous debut album was certified Gold by the Canadian Recording Industry Association.
- In 2006, won a Juno Award for "R&B/Soul Recording of the Year".
- In 2011, won "Video of the year" at the Much Music Video Awards for his video "Electric/Night Like This".
- In 2011, won Canadian Dance/Pop Single of the Year at the Stylus Awards.
- In 2011, awarded SOCAN #1 Award for Electric/Night Like This reaching #1.
- In 2013, ALIVE movie awarded Best Outstanding Short Film at Reel World Film Festival
Free the Children
Inspired by the commitment and passion of the youth at his first We Day performance in 2010, Shawn became a Free the Children ambassador and has regularly appeared on the We Day stage since then. He also choreographed the We Day dance in 2011 and designed the “This Is How We Do It” T-shirt for Me to We, which was one of the best selling shirts at We Day. In the summer of 2013, Shawn travelled to Kenya to witness first-hand the impact FTC initiatives are making. While there, he collaborated with the Kenyan Boys Choir for the first time. Later that year, Shawn hosted the Canadian leg of the We Day tour, where he debuted a special rendition of “Won’t Give Up On You” (Alive) with the Kenyan Boys Choir.
|Back for More||
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart.|
|1995||"Tu és Minha"||—||—||—||non-album singles|
|1999||"Don't Wanna Lose You"||19||—||—|
|2002||"Get Ready"||1||—||37||Shawn Desman|
|2003||"Spread My Wings"||—||—||—|
|"Sexy"||—||—||—||Back For More|
|"Night Like This"||22||—||—||
|2012||"Nobody Does It Like You"||18||—||—||
|"Dum Da Dum"||32||—||—|
|2013||"Too Young to Care"||—||—||—|
- 2003: "Movie Star (Remix)" Rascalz feat. Shawn Desman
- 2006: "All Eyes on Me" Puppet feat. Shawn Desman
- 2010: "Feel It" Danny Fernandes feat. Shawn Desman
- "Canadian Recording Industry Association (CRIA): Gold & Platinum - February 2003". Cria.ca. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- Peak chart positions for albums in Canada:
- "Gold & Platinum". Toronto: Music Canada. February 2003. Retrieved June 8, 2013.
- "Shawn Desman". AllMusic. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- musicline.de / PhonoNet GmbH. "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche". musicline.de. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- Steffen Hung. "Shawn Desman - Get Ready". australian-charts.com. Retrieved 2011-03-02.
- Shawn Desman Official web site
- Shawn Desman Official Twitter page
- Shawn Desman MySpace page
- Shawn Desman at the Internet Movie Database
- Shawn Desman MuchMusic page
- Shawn Desman LastFM page