Boggess outside the Queen's Theatre
May 20, 1982 |
Denver, Colorado, U.S.
Early and personal life
Sierra Boggess was born and raised in Denver, Colorado, with her two sisters, Summer and Allegra. The three of them were members of the Colorado Children's Chorale. Her parents are Kellun Turner and Michael Boggess. She attended George Washington High School and graduated from Millikin University with a BFA in musical theater.
Boggess got engaged to fellow West End star Tam Mutu in January of 2012 but they reportedly broke off the engagement in June of 2014.
Boggess began her career in the Ensemble and as an understudy for Cosette on the U.S. national tour of Les Misérables. She also played the roles of Binky and Ram Dass in the musical Princesses. Her previous work includes West Side Story (Maria), The Pirates of Penzance (Mabel), Sweet Charity (Charity) and The Boy Friend (Polly).
Around the time she was still doing "Les Misérables", Boggess was cast in the brand new Las Vegas production of Andrew Lloyd Webber'sThe Phantom of the Opera at the Venetian Resort and Casino. The production opened on June 24, 2006. Boggess starred in the female leading role of Christine Daaé co-starring Anthony Crivello and Brent Barrett alternating as The Phantom. She stayed with the Vegas production for a year.
Boggess was then cast in her Broadway debut originating the role of Ariel in the 2007 The Little Mermaid She performed with the show in its pre-Broadway tryout in Denver at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts' Ellie Caulkins Opera House which it ran from July 26, 2007 through September 9, 2007. The Broadway production began previews on Broadway at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre on November 3, 2007. The show was then temporarily shut down on November 10, 2007 until November 28, 2007, due to the 2007 Broadway stagehand strike. Performances resumed the next day following the strike and the official opening night was pushed from December 6, 2007 to January 10, 2008. Boggess received positive reviews for her performance. She stayed with the show for a year and a half playing her final performance as Ariel on May 31, 2009. Boggess was replaced by understudy Chelsea Morgan Stock.
From February 2010 to March 2011, Boggess starred as Christine Daaé in the sequel to The Phantom of the Opera, Love Never Dies. She also took part in the Rodgers and Hammerstein Prom at the Royal Albert Hall on 22 August 2010 which was screened on 28th. After leaving Love Never Dies being replaced by Celia Graham, Boggess played Sharon, alongside Tyne Daly, in the Broadway revival of Master Class. The show concluded its limited engagement on September 4, 2011.
Boggess once again played the role of Christine Daaé in the 25th anniversary concert of The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall in London with Love Never Dies co-star Ramin Karimloo as the Phantom at the Royal Albert Hall on 1st and 2nd of October 2011.
In April 2012, Boggess announced that she dropped out of Rebecca and instead joined the cast of the upcoming musical revue Prince of Broadway which pays tribute to director Harold Prince. However, the project was postponed until 2013. On July 2, 2012, Boggess returned to Les Misérables until 10th of January 2013. This time she joined the West End company at the Queen's Theatre and took over the role of Fantine.
On January 21, 2013, Boggess returned to the role of Christine in The Phantom of the Opera for the Broadway production's 25th anniversary and co-starred opposite Hugh Panaro as The Phantom. She performed the role for a limited six-week engagement till March 2, 2013. She was replaced by Christine alternate Samantha Hill.
Following her run, Boggess began teaching various musical theater master classes and began to workshop an upcoming musical adaptation of the 1998 film Ever After. It is unsure if Boggess will be part of the new musical's world premiere at Papermill Playhouse in 2015. She also made her cabaret debut with a solo show entitled Awakening at New York's 54 Below. The 54 Below shows were recorded for a live debut solo album Awakening: Live at 54 Below, which was released on December 10, 2013 from Broadway Records.
In January 2014 Boggess played the role of a lesbian in the short film Russian Broadway shutdown (protesting the Russian governments response to homosexuality in theater) 
On March 24, 2014, it was announced that Boggess would once again rejoin the Broadway company of The Phantom of the Opera as Christine and reunite with her former Little Mermaid co-star Norm Lewis as the Phantom (who made history as the first African-American actor to play the title role in the Broadway cast).  They began their runs on May 12, 2014. Boggess concluded her run as Christine on September 6, 2014 and was replaced by Christine alternate Mary Michael Patterson. 
After completing her run in Phantom of the Opera with Norm Lewis, Boggess returned to her alma mater Millikin University to perform a benefit concert featuring the Class of 2015 BFA Musical Theatre majors. It was based on her Awakening concert at 54 Below, and was held to help raise money for the school's new Theatre & Dance building.
On October 29, 2014, it was announced that Boggess will join the cast of the new Broadway Musical "It Shoulda Been You" where she reunited with her former Master Class co-star Tyne Daly. The musical which features direction by Tony Award winning actor David Hyde Pierce in his directing debut began preview performances on March 17, 2015 and opened on April 14, 2015 at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre.
Awards and nominations
|2008||Drama Desk Award||Outstanding Actress in a Musical||The Little Mermaid||Nominated|
|Drama League Award||Distinguished Performance||Nominated|
|Broadway.com Audience Award||Favorite Leading Actress in a Broadway Musical||Nominated|
|Favorite Female Breakthrough Performance||Won|
|2010||BroadwayWorld UK Award||Best Leading Actress in a Musical||Love Never Dies||Nominated|
|2011||WhatsOnStage.com Theatregoers' Choice Award||Best Actress in a Musical||Nominated|
|Laurence Olivier Award||Best Actress in a Musical||Nominated|
|2013||Broadway.com Audience Award||Favorite Replacement||The Phantom of the Opera||Won|
- The Little Mermaid - 2008 Original Broadway Cast Recording
- Love Never Dies - 2010 Original West End Cast Recording
- The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall - 2011 Live Cast Recording
- Awakening: Live at 54 Below - 2013 Debut Album
- Love on 42nd Street - 2014 You Caught Me Off Guard featured on Songs of Daniel and Laura Curtis
- It Shoulda Been You - 2015 Original Broadway Cast Recording (tentative)
- "Star of "Little Mermaid" musical visits her alma mater" Denver Post
- Fish Got to Swim: Little Mermaid Opens on Broadway Jan. 10 playbill.com, Retrieved March 24, 2014
- Gans, Andrew."Stock and Seeley to Join Broadway's Little Mermaid Cast",Playbill, May 7, 2009
- PHOTO CALL: Music in the Air Readies for City Center Encores! Run
- Andrew Lloyd Webber's Love Never Dies Opens in London March 9 playbill.com, Retrieved March 24, 2014
- Lloyd Webber's Love Never Dies to Premiere in London in March 2010; New York, Australia to Follow
- Sierra Boggess, Olivier Nominee for Love Never Dies, Will Take Broadway's Master Class
- Class Dismissed! Master Class, Starring Tyne Daly, Ends Broadway Run Sept. 4
- PHANTOM OF THE OPERA 25th Anniversary Concert Plays at Royal Albert Hall; Karimloo & Boggess Star
- Sierra Boggess, Alexandra Silber, et al. to Join Cast of LOVE, LOSS AND WHAT I WORE in March
- Love, Loss and What I Wore Sets Off-Broadway Closing Date
- Sierra Boggess on Her ‘Difficult Decision’ to Leave Rebecca for Prince of Broadway
- Hal Prince Musical Prince of Broadway Shifts Start Date to 2013
- Sierra Boggess on How Two Postponed Broadway Shows Led to a Star Turn in London’s Les Misérables
- Breaking News: Sierra Boggess to Join PHANTOM on Broadway for 25th Anniversary Engagement
- Gans, Edward. "Track Listing Announced for Sierra Boggess' Solo Recording, "Awakening: Live at 54 Below"". playbill.com. Retrieved 7 March 2015.
- Breaking News: Broadway Stars Norm Lewis and Sierra Boggess to Take Over in PHANTOM This May! broadwayworld.com, Retrieved March 24, 2014
- Norm Lewis and Sierra Boggess Join Broadway Cast of The Phantom of the Opera May 12 playbill.com, Retrieved May 12, 2014
- Sierra Boggess Announces Phantom Departure; Norm Lewis Extends Broadway Run playbill.com, Retrieved September 4, 2014
- Tyne Daly, Harriet Harris, Sierra Boggess, David Burtka to Star in It Shoulda Been You on Broadway Playbill, Retrieved January 22, 2015
- Sierra Boggess at the Internet Movie Database
- Sierra Boggess at the Internet Broadway Database
- Sierra Boggess at the Internet Off-Broadway Database
- Sierra Boggess at the Playbill Vault
- TreeSong Guitars