|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2007)|
|State||Dadra and Nagar Haveli|
|District||Dadra and Nagar Haveli district|
|• Total||491 km2 (190 sq mi)|
|Elevation||32 m (105 ft)|
|• Density||45/km2 (120/sq mi)|
|• Official||Marathi, Gujarati|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||DN -09|
The city has a large number of factories and industries providing significant government revenue, which allows the city to maintain a low level of taxation.[original research?]
Until the end of the 19th century, Silvassa was only a small village. The growing importance of Silvassa started in 1885, when the Portuguese Administration decided to transfer there the seat of Nagar Haveli, which until then was in Darará. By decree of 11 February, 1885, Silvassa was created as a town, with the name of Vila de Paço d'Arcos. However, the original name prevailed and the town continued to be mainly known as Silvassa and referred like that even in official documents.
As of 2001 India census, Silvassa had a population of 21,890. Males constitute 57% of the population and females 43%. Silvassa has an average literacy rate of 75%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 80%, and female literacy is 68%. In Silvassa, 15% of the population is under 6 years of age. Marathi and Gujarati are the main languages spoken.
A former Portuguese enclave, Silvassa has a significant Roman Catholic population, speaking a distinct dialect of Portuguese.
Far from being a tribal region, it has now developed into a full blown industrial hub. With major industrial houses setting up manufacturing bases in the region. The initial tax free status granted by the Government of India to boost industrial investment in the Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli has greatly contributed to the industrial growth of the region.
With groups like Ramco Industries ltd..(R.I.L),Sterlite, Hindalco, Hind Aluminium, Associated Group, Advance Detchem Ltd, Gulf Oil, Castrol, Reliance Industries, Blue Star, Siyaram Silk Mills limited,Global Wind Power (Reliance ADAG), Hindustan Unilever, Sterling Generators Pvt Ltd an associate company of Shapoorji & Pallonji Group, Dabur and host of other players in the field of Textiles like Alok Industries, VRIL, and many other FMCG, Gensets, Electronics, Heavy Engineering goods, Chemical, insecticides, Paints, to name a few, the landscape of Silvassa and surrounding region has altered dramatically. It is one of the largest states in collection of Excise duty from more than 3500 small & medium industries.Silvassa is a big hub for plastic products.Its product like polybags,containers etc. can be found all over India due to its better quality and low cost.
Silvassa is also a host to more than 200,000 floating population, coming from all parts of the country, mostly the labourers hail from Uttar Pradesh, Bihar & Orrisa. Other floating community being from the state of Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Kerala, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh & Rajasthan.
Transport and Connections
Silvassa to its credit has great roads and are surrounded with astounding trees. The nearest railway station, Vapi is around 18 km away.
Daman is 30 km away via Bhilad on National Highway number 8
Mumbai is 180 km away from Silvassa, via Bhilad, on National Highway number 8
Rickshaw services ply between Vapi and Silvassa at a regular interval and easily available from Vapi (E) railway station.
Gujarat Road Transport Buses ply between Silvassa & Vapi at a regular interval.
Not long ago,[when?] the health care scenario of silvassa was very pathetic[original research?] with only the Govt. Civil Hospital i.e. Vinoba Civil Hospital catering to the ever increasing population of Silvassa and the surrounding areas.
Thankfully[original research?] the health care industry having recognized the need of the growing population have come forward and set-up hospitals that have, somewhat made it easier for the people of this region to gain good quality health care at reasonable expense.[original research?]
The list of hospital are:
- V.B.C.H (Vinoba Bhave Civil Hospita, Multi-Speciality Hospital), Silvassa
- Vardhaman Hospital, Silvassa
- Saraswati Hospital, Rakholi, Silvassa
- Yogi Hospital, Silvassa
- Sainath Hospital, Silvassa
- Sai Krishna Hospital, Silvassa
- Chaitanya Hospital, Silvassa
- Jalaram Hospital, Silvassa
- Sai Marigold Children Hospital, Silvassa
- Om Hospital, Silvassa
- Gaurang Leg Replacement Hospital, Silvassa
Places of interest
- Roman Catholic Church located near to Bus stand built on Portuguese style.
- Silvassa Museum- a small museum which explains the history and the people of Silvassa.
- Lion Safari- Supposed to be good if you get a glimpse of lion.
- Madhuban Dam-A dam with boating facility, built across River Daman Ganga.
- Dadra Park- A scenic beauty with lush green trees and boating facility, 5 km from Silvassa.
- Dudhani- A vast lake having water sports complex. A must see for all Silvassa goers. Located at 35 km from Silvassa.
- Vrindaban-A temple dedicated to lord Krishna and Shiva, en route Dudhani.
- Balaji templet located in amli dedicated to Lord Balaji,Shiva,Maha Ganapathy,Karthikeyan,Padmavathi,Saraswathi,Hanumanji and Navagraha.
- Ban Ganga Lake - An exotic destination for lovers of Mother nature especially those who relish boating in big lakes.The place is particularly famous for several movie shootings.
List of Technical/Computer Institutes :
- Diamond Computers Silvassa
List of Schools :
- St. George English School, Silvassa
- Father Agnelo English High School
- Lions English School
- Prabhat Scholars Academy
- Shiv Prakash Memorial School
- St. Xaviers Primary School
- Kendriya Vidyalaya Silvassa
- BAPS Swaminarayan Vidyamandir
- Dadra's Little Star Academy
- Govt. Higher Secondary School, Tokarkhada
- Alok Public School,Rakholi
List of colleges :
- SSR College of Art,Commerce And Science.
- SSR College of Education
- SSR college of Pharmacy
- SSR Institute of Research and Management
- Silvassa Polytechnic college of Engineering
- BAPS Institute of Information Technology
- Institute of hotel management and catering technology
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Silvassa.|
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Dadra Nagar Haveli tourism