Simon Peyton Jones
|Simon Peyton Jones|
Simon Peyton Jones
18 January 1958 |
|Alma mater||Trinity College, Cambridge|
|Known for||Glasgow Haskell Compiler|
Simon Peyton Jones (born 18 January 1958) is a British computer scientist who researches the implementation and applications of functional programming languages, particularly lazy functional programming. He is an honorary Professor of Computer Science at the University of Glasgow and supervises PhD Students at the University of Cambridge.
Career and Research
Jones worked in industry for two years before serving as a lecturer at University College London and, from 1990 to 1998, as a professor at the University of Glasgow. Since 1998 he has worked as a researcher at Microsoft Research in Cambridge, England.
He is a major contributor to the design of the Haskell programming language, and a contributor of the Glasgow Haskell Compiler (GHC). He is also co-creator of the C-- programming language, designed for intermediate program representation between the language-specific front-end of a compiler and a general-purpose back-end code generator and optimiser. C-- is used in GHC.
He was also a major contributor to the 1999 book Cybernauts Awake, which explored the ethical and spiritual implications of the Internet.
Jones chairs the Computing At School (CAS) group, an organisation which aims to promote the teaching of computer science at school.
Awards and honours
In 2013, he received an honorary doctorate from the University of Glasgow.
- List of publications from Google Scholar
- Computing At School: About us
- Gill, Andrew John (1996). Cheap deforestation for non-strict functional languages (PhD thesis). University of Glasgow.
- Finne, Sigbjorn (1988). Composing graphical user interfaces in a purely functional language (PhD thesis). University of Glasgow.
- Németh, László (2000). Catamorphism-based program transformations for non-strict functional languages (PhD thesis). University of Glasgow.
- Roe, Paul (1991). Parallel programming using functional languages (PhD thesis). University of Glasgow.
- List of publications from the DBLP Bibliography Server
- List of publications from Microsoft Academic Search
- Computerworld Interview with Simon Peyton Jones
- Simon Peyton Jones from the ACM Portal
- Simon Peyton Jones from the Scopus bibliographic database.
- Harris, T.; Marlow, S.; Peyton-Jones, S.; Herlihy, M. (2005). "Composable memory transactions". Proceedings of the tenth ACM SIGPLAN symposium on Principles and practice of parallel programming - PPoPP '05. p. 48. doi:10.1145/1065944.1065952. ISBN 1595930809.
- Gill, A.; Launchbury, J.; Peyton Jones, S. L. (1993). "A short cut to deforestation". Proceedings of the conference on Functional programming languages and computer architecture - FPCA '93. p. 223. doi:10.1145/165180.165214. ISBN 089791595X.
- Peyton Jones, S. L.; Wadler, P. (1993). "Imperative functional programming". Proceedings of the 20th ACM SIGPLAN-SIGACT symposium on Principles of programming languages - POPL '93. p. 71. doi:10.1145/158511.158524. ISBN 0897915607.
- "A Taste of Haskell I"; "A Taste of Haskell II" This is a two-part video of a talk in which Peyton Jones explains Haskell to (non-functional) programmers, given at the OSCON 2007 conference. See also the slides projected during the presentation. Links to other expository videos of Peyton Jones can be found on the Haskell wiki video page.
- Hudak, P.; Johnsson, T.; Kieburtz, D.; Nikhil, R.; Partain, W.; Peterson, J.; Peyton Jones, S.; Wadler, P.; Boutel, B.; Fairbairn, J.; Fasel, J.; Guzmán, M. A. M.; Hammond, K.; Hughes, J. (1992). "Report on the programming language Haskell". ACM SIGPLAN Notices 27 (5): 1. doi:10.1145/130697.130699.
- Simon Peyton Jones - Haskell is useless on YouTube
- Prof Simon Peyton-Jones
- Peyton Jones, Simon. "Simon Peyton-Jones - Microsoft Research". Microsoft Research. Retrieved 2011-04-06.
- Peter Siebel (2009) Coders at Work: Reflections on the Craft of Programming ISBN 1430219483
- Bresnick, Julie (3 July 2001). "GHC developer Simon Peyton Jones on working for, gasp!, Microsoft". Linux.com.
- Peyton Jones, Simon (18 January 2008). "Ancient, but still having fun". haskel@haskel,org.
- Peyton Jones, Simon, ed. (December 2002). "Haskell 98 Language and Libraries - The Revised Report". haskell.org.
- "The GHC Team". 22 June 2006.
- "Native Code Generator (NCG)". The Glasgow Haskell Compiler. Haskell.org. 17 September 2007. Retrieved 24 November 2009.
- Peyton Jones, Simon (1987). The Implementation of Functional Programming Languages. Prentice-Hall. ISBN 0-13-453333-X.
- Peyton Jones, Simon; Lester, David R. (August 1992). Implementing Functional Languages. Prentice-Hall. ISBN 0-13-721952-0.
- Cybernauts Awake!: Ethical and Spiritual Implications of Computers, Information Technology and the Internet. Church House Publishing. 1999. ISBN 978-0-7151-6586-7.
- "ACM Fellows". Association for Computing Machinery.
- "Honorary Doctorate for Simon Peyton Jones". University of Glasgow. Retrieved 20 July 2014.