South Broward High School
|South Broward High School|
|Location||Hollywood, Florida, USA|
|District||Broward County Public Schools|
|Colors||Red and Gold|
|Website||SBHS - Home of the Bulldogs|
South Broward High School (SBHS) is a Marine Science Magnet school located in the Royal Poinciana neighborhood of Hollywood, Florida. The school is a part of the Broward County Public Schools district.
The site for the school was located approximately two miles north in the city of Dania at the current site of Dania Beach Elementary School. It is the second oldest high school established in Broward County, after Fort Lauderdale High School. Dania High School, which had been a part of the Dania School that had been founded in 1913 by the Dade County School Board, was renamed South Broward in 1938. Its name was appropriate considering what when Broward County was founded in 1915, it was effectively the only public school to serve the southern half of the county. When a larger school was needed, the campus relocated to its present location at the corner of Federal Highway and Harding Street in 1949, and not long after expanded northward. After South Broward was integrated in 1966, it absorbed a significant number of the African American student body that had attended Attucks School (now the site of Attucks Middle School), which had served grades 7 through 12.
The school's athletic teams are known as the Bulldogs. The school offers a wide range of extracurricular and athletic activities. It is one of the more ethically and socioeconomically diverse high schools in Florida, providing an accurate demographic sample of the city of Hollywood as a whole.
- Chris Bushing - Former professional baseball player with the (Cincinnati Reds)
- Travis Daniels - Cornerback for the Cleveland Browns of the NFL
- Howard Finkelstein - Chief public defender of Broward County
- Tucker Frederickson - Former running back for the New York Giants of the NFL
- Bill Hawkins - Former Defensive Lineman for the Los Angeles Rams of the NFL
- Bobby Kent - Murder victim. His murder was the inspiration for the film Bully.
- Danny McManus - Former Florida State University, professional American football and Canadian football quarterback.
- Michael Berry -NFL football player.