Dillard High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2011)|
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (January 2011)|
|Dillard High School|
|2501 NW 11th St
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
Fort Lauderdale, FL, 33311-5796, United States
|School district||Broward County Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Blue and Grey
Dillard High School is a historic public high school located in Fort Lauderdale of Broward County, Florida. Dillard is available to all of Broward County. This school was established in 1907. The school is a magnet school for Emerging Computer Technology and Performing Arts.
Performing Arts Program
As the first public school for people of African descent in Ft Lauderdale, Dillard High School incorporated two magnet programs in an effort to integrate and expand the educational horizons of this historic school.
Dillard Center for the Arts (DCA) provides training in dance, music, theater, and visual arts, as well as an academic schedule. Students must demonstrate ability and interest in one of the four artistic academic potential. Such programs within the music department were keyboard, voice, band, orchestra and commercial music. The chorus, chorale, gospel choir, jazz band and rock band performs in Broward county and the Fort Lauderdale community. DCA, in partnership with students, parents, staff, and the arts community, offers a full complement of course offerings, as well as performance and competitive opportunities at the local, state, and national levels.
Emerging Computer Technology
It was nationally recognized by The Wall Street Journal in 1995 and holds the District of Broward County's charter chapter of the American Technology Honor Society, currently they have the National Technology Honor Society.
There are many courses in digital media, computer programming, robotics, and electronic technology hardware/network support. In addition, Dillard High School offers many advanced placement and honors courses. Over $1,000,000 in scholarships were awarded to Dillard ECT students.
As of 2011, the total student enrollment was 1496. The ethnic makeup of the school was 7% White, 88% Black, 4% Hispanic, 0% Asian or Pacific Islander, 1% Multiracial, and 0% Native American or Native Alaskan.
- Pat Sims - Defensive Tackle (2008- ) Cincinnati Bengals
- Stanley McClover - Defensive End (2006- ) Carolina Panthers and Houston Texans
- Jovan Haye - Defensive Tackle (2005- ) Carolina Panthers, Cleveland Browns, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Tennessee Titans
- Percy Howard - Wide Receiver (1975) Dallas Cowboys
- Chris Gamble - Cornerback (2004- ) Carolina Panthers
- Quinn Gray - Quarterback (2003- ) Jacksonville Jaguars, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Kansas City Chiefs and New York Sentinels of the UFL
- Isaac Bruce - Wide Receiver (1994- ) Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams and San Francisco 49ers
- Frank Sanders - Wide Receiver (1995–2003) Arizona Cardinals and Baltimore Ravens
- Lorenzo White - Running Back (1988–1995) Houston Oilers and Cleveland Browns
- Louis Holmes-Defensive End (2008) San Francisco 49ers,(2009) Tampa Bay Buccaneers,and Sacramento Mountain Lions of the United Football League (2009)
- Keyon Dooling - Basketball Player (2000- ) Los Angeles Clippers, Miami Heat, Orlando Magic, New Jersey Nets, Milwaukee Bucks, and Boston Celtics
- Former faculty
- Julian Edwin Cannonball Adderley - Jazz Alto Saxophonist
- Performing Artists
- Daniel Bernard Roumain Composer/Violinist/Band Leader
- Elias Soriano Heavy Metal Vocalist
- Jason Derulo c/o 2005 Singer/Songwriter
- Black Violin Violin Group
- Mickey Zetts Songwriter/Playwright