St. Stanislaus High School
|St. Stanislaus High School|
"Born for Greater Things"
|65 Hill Road, Bandra
|Type||Private secondary school|
|Principal||Fr. Jude Fernandes SJ|
|Houses||Britto (red), Loyola (yellow), Xavier (blue), Kostka (green)|
St. Stanislaus High School is a prestigious all-boys school located in Mumbai, India, run by the Society of Jesus. The school is spread over a campus of approximately 7 acres in the heart of Bandra, making it one of the largest schools (by area) in Mumbai.
The school, founded in 1863 by German priests from Society of Jesus, started as an orphanage and later grew to be a full-fledged educational institution for day-scholars as well as boarders and now has more than 2,300 students from KG-10.
"Natus ad Maiora" ("Born for Greater Things")
In addition to academic work, the school encourages the development of young athletes and sportsmen. Teachers like Master Neeff, Master Oliver, Master Willy, Master Donald and sportsmasters include Oliver Andrade (who founded the famous Jogger's Park in Bandra Mumbai), Master Cyril Gabriel, Fr. Harry Pereira S.J., Fr. Benjamin Fernandes S.J. and Fr. Robin Selwyn S.J. in the 1970s and 1980s supported sporting endeavour.
Through the efforts of Fr. Lawrie Ferrao, the former principal, the gymnasium has been upgraded with a treadmill. The Donnelly gym has been completely redone with new turf and sprinklers.
The school has won inter-school tournaments, participating in the Ahmed Sailor Cup in field hockey. The school has a grass hockey ground (Donnelly Gym), two basketball courts, an outdoor badminton court, two football grounds, two smaller grounds, a swimming pool and a gymnasium. The hockey ground is used to play state level tournaments.
The carpentry room next to the Donnelly gym has been renovated and part of it has been made into a changing room. The old toilets are undergoing repairs. The grounds facing Waroda Road have been revamped and now have tiled flooring, serving as a ground for weddings and functions. It is also called "The Backyard Lawn".
The school has four houses: Britto (red), Loyola (yellow), Xavier (blue) and Kostka (green), named after Jesuit saints (St. John De Britto, St. Ignatius Loyola, St. Francis Xavier and St. Stanislaus Kostka). New students are allocated a house. Points are awarded to students for activities and competitions, and the winning house is announced each week. House captains are elected each year.
- 1998 - 1999
|Britto Captain - Cedric Sequeira|
|Loyola Captain - Arun F.|
|Xavier Captain - Nigel Pinto|
|Kostka Captain - Ryan Rebello|
The St. Stanislaus Ex-students Association was started by Fr. Joseph Casasayas SJ in 1936. It is a not-for-profit organization aimed at assisting alumni (ex-students and ex-staff members) to network.
Fr. Jude Fernandes S.J. took over as Principal from the 2007 academic year. He was previously the Parish Priest of Holy Family Church, Chakala, Andheri East and the Vice Principal of Holy Family School.
- Fr Lawrie Ferrao S.J. was the principal of the school up to the end of the academic year 2006-2007. He had served the school since 1996. Fr. Leo Soares.S.J. was Vice-Principal during this period.
- Fr. Edmund Carrasco S.J. was the principal of the school up to the end of the academic year 1996.
- 'Fr. Joe D'Abreo.S.J. was the principal of the School up to the end of the academic year 1990.
-Business and Corporate-
- Faisal Farooqui, founder and CEO, MouthShut.com
- Sunil Kaushal, CEO of India & South Asia, Standard Chartered Bank
- Marcellus Gomes, Represented India at the Olympics
- Viren Rasquinha, Former Captain, Indian Hockey Team
- Shaan, musician
- Arbaaz Khan, Bollywood actor
- Salman Khan, Bollywood actor
- Sohail Khan, Bollywood actor
-Military, & Medicine and Science-
- Dr. Christopher DeSouza, ENT Specialist
- Dr. Abhay Bhave, Hematologist
- Dr. Sanjeev Mani, Radiologist
- Dr. Melroy D'Souza, Surgeon
- Major General Eustace D'Souza, PVSM (Retd.) Indian Army
- Lt. General Francis Dias, PVSM, AVSM, VrC (Retd.) Indian Army
- Cardinal Ivan Dias, Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church
- Anthony De Mello, Priest and author
- Dinesh D'Souza conservative US scholar.
- Bishop John Rodrigues, Auxiliary Bishop of Bombay, Rector of St. Pius College- diocesan seminary
- St. Stanislaus High School Official website
- St. Peter's Church: Roman Catholic church is situated just inside the entrance of the school.
- St. Stanislaus Ex-students Association