Statewide Insurance Company
|Headquarters||Sure House, 1 Bombo Road, Kampala, Uganda|
|John Ssebaana Kizito
Joseph W. Kiwanuka
|Products||Insurance, investments, real estate|
Statewide Insurance Company Limited, commonly referred to as Statewide Insurance Company (SWICO), is an insurance company in Uganda. The company is a leading provider of insurance and risk management services in the country.
SWICO is one of the licensed insurance companies in the country. As of July 2014[update], the total valuation of the company's assets was not publicly known. Its investments included real estate holdings, the largest of which is Sure House at 1 Bombo Road, in Kampala's central business district, which houses SWICO's headquarters.
In 1982, John Ssebaana Kizito, the Ugandan businessman, economist and politician, together with a business associate, Joseph W. Kiwanuka, pooled resources and started SWICO. Today, the company is the oldest privately owned insurance company in Uganda.
The exact shareholding in SWICO is not publicly known. One of the shareholders is the founding Chairman of the Board, John Ssebaana Kizito, one of the wealthiest people in Uganda, according to the New Vision, Uganda's leading English daily.
The company has a branch network in the following Ugandan locations:
- Main Branch - Sure House, 1 Bombo Road, Kampala
- Arua Branch - Ouzu Plaza, Adumi Road, Arua
- Entebbe Branch - 33-35 Kampala Road, Entebbe
- Fort Portal Branch - 14 Bwamba Road, Fort Portal
- Gulu Branch - 1 Atwal Road, Gulu
- Hoima Branch - 36 Fort Portal Road, Hoima
- Iganga Branch - 56 Main Street, Iganga
- Jinja Branch - Bemtex Plaza, 68 Main Street, Jinja
- Lira Branch - 26D Kwania Road, Lira
- Masaka Branch - 14 Edward Avenue, Masaka
- Mbale Branch - 4 Manafa Road, Mbale
- Mbarara Branch - Pride House, 37A High Street, Mbarara
- Mityana Branch - 53B Station Road, Mityana
- Soroti Branch - 4 Cemetery Road, Soroti
The Management team comprises twelve managers. Joseph William Kiwanuka, one of the founders and a shareholder, is the Managing Director, responsible for the daily administration of the company activities.
- Businge, Julius (6 July 2014). "SWICO Profits Soar To USh1.3 Billion". The Independent (Uganda). Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- Newvision, Supplement (10 October 2012). "Statewide Insurance Company". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- Michael Kanaabi, and Ssebidde Kiryowa (6 January 2012). "The Deepest Pockets - Uganda". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- SWICO, . "Branches of Statewide Insurance Company". Statewide Insurance Company (SWICO). Retrieved 15 October 2014.
- Kamukama, Polly (23 February 2012). "Kiwanuka's Volvo Lured Worshippers To Church". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 15 October 2014.