Stickies 8.0 from OS X Lion
|Stable release||9.0 / July 25, 2012|
|Operating system||System 7, Mac OS 8, Mac OS 9, OS X|
|Type||Post-it note-like notetaking software|
Stickies is a Macintosh notetaking application for putting Post-it note-like windows on the screen with short reminders, notes and other clippings. Typed contents are automatically stored and restored when the application is restarted.
The first version of Stickies was written by Apple employee Jens Alfke and included in System 7.5 in 1994. Alfke originally developed it in his free time as Antler Notes and intended to release it as shareware doing business as Antler Software; Apple planned to acquire it from him, but discovered that they already legally owned it under the terms of his employment. During the transition to OS X, it was rewritten in Cocoa, and is still included in OS X, now with features such as transparent notes, styled text and the ability to embed pictures in notes.
Complementary to the Stickies application a feature reduced version of Stickies is one of the widgets included with Dashboard since OS X v10.4. Similar applications are available for most operating systems. A generic term for such applications is "desktop notes".
What Stickies can do
- Float above all windows: Press Command-Option-F with a sticky note selected and it will float above any other windows that are visible
- Translucent: Press Command-Option-T with a sticky note selected and it will become translucent
- Embed other media: Add other media besides text, such as QuickTime movies, PDFs, images, just by dragging them into the sticky note.
- Backup data: Stickies keeps all information in a self-contained database. The database can be backed up by copying the file StickiesDatabase which is located in a user's Library directory (i.e. ~/Library/StickiesDatabase)
- Search data: Press Command-F to search for words or phrases within a sticky note
- Create a note from selection: In a Cocoa-based application (such as the Safari web browser), select some text and press Command-Shift-Y or use the Services menu to create a new sticky note with the text selection.
- Jens Alfke (April 13, 1997). "They Made Me An Offer I Couldn't Refuse". Thought Palace. Retrieved February 21, 2013.