Stuart J. Russell
|Stuart J. Russell|
|Born||1962 (age 51–52)
|Institutions||University of California, Berkeley|
|Alma mater||University of Oxford
|Thesis||Analogical and Inductive Reasoning (Artificial Intelligence, Metaphor, Logic Programming) (1987)|
|Doctoral advisor||Michael Genesereth|
|Notable awards||IJCAI Computers and Thought Award
Blaise Pascal Chair
Stuart Russell was born in Portsmouth, England. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree with first-class honours in Physics from Wadham College, Oxford in 1982, and his Ph.D. in Computer Science from Stanford University in 1986. He then joined the faculty of the University of California, Berkeley, where he is currently Professor of Computer Science. He also holds an appointment as Adjunct Professor of Neurological Surgery at the University of California, San Francisco, where he pursues research in computational physiology and intensive-care unit monitoring.
Stuart Russell was co-winner, in 1995, of the IJCAI Computers and Thought Award, the premier international award in artificial intelligence for researchers under 35. In 2003 he was inducted as a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery and in 2011 he became a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. In 2005 he was awarded the ACM Karl V. Karlstrom Outstanding Educator Award. In 2012, he was appointed to the Blaise Pascal Chair in Paris, awarded to "internationally acclaimed foreign scientists in all disciplines," as well as the senior Chaire d'excellence of France's Agence Nationale de la Recherche. Along with Peter Norvig, he is the author of "Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach", a textbook used by over 1200 universities in 100 countries. He is on the Scientific Advisory Board for the Future of Life Institute.
- Russell, Stuart J.; Norvig, Peter (2010). Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach (3rd ed.). Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall. ISBN 9780136042594.
- Russell, Stuart J.; Tegmark, Max; Hawking, Stephen; Wilczek, Frank (2014). "Transcending Complacency on Superintelligent Machines". Huffington Post.
- "Stuart Russell, Professor of Computer Science and Engineering, University of California, Berkeley". Retrieved 2011-08-01.
- Artificial Intelligence: A Modern Approach, University of Berkeley, 2013, retrieved 2014-05-07
- Who We Are, Future of Life Institute, 2014, retrieved 2014-05-07
|This article on a computer specialist of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|