Landesberg playing with Maccabi Tel Aviv in 2013.
|No. 15 – Maccabi Electra Tel Aviv|
|League||Israeli Super League
April 10, 1990 |
Brooklyn, New York
|Nationality||American / Israeli|
|Listed height||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Listed weight||207 lb (94 kg)|
|High school||Holy Cross
(Flushing, New York)
|NBA draft||2010 / Undrafted|
|2012–present||Maccabi Tel Aviv|
|Career highlights and awards|
Sylven Joshua Landesberg (born April 10, 1990) is an American-Israeli professional basketball player who currently plays for Maccabi Tel Aviv of the Israeli Super League. Standing at 6 ft 6 in (1.98 m), he plays at the shooting guard position.
Landesberg, was born April 10, 1990 in Brooklyn to a Jewish father, Steven, and a Trinidadian and Tobagonian mother, Ingrid.
High school career
In his sophomore year at Holy Cross High School in Flushing, New York, he averaged 20.9 points, 8.1 rebounds, and 1.7 assists a game during 2005–06. He was named First-Team All-City by the New York Daily News and the New York Post. In 2006–07, during his junior year, he averaged 25.7 points, 10.5 rebounds, and 3.6 assists a game, and was again named All-City honors by the Daily News and the Post.
During his senior year in 2007–08, he averaged 29.6 points, 11.4 rebounds, and 3.1 assists a game. He shot 52% from the field, and 77% from the free throw line. He scored a school-record 2,149 career points in three years on the team.
He was a 2008 McDonald's High School All American, and was named New York State Mr. Basketball. He was also a second-team Parade Magazine All-American, first-team All-State, New York Gatorade Player of the Year, New York Post Player of the Year, and a U.S. All Star in the 2008 Capital Classic.
During the 2008–09 season, in his freshman year, he averaged 16.6 points (third-best for a freshman in UVA history), 6.0 rebounds, and 2.8 assists a game. He led the team in scoring, and was second in rebounds and assists. He also led Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) freshmen in scoring, and was third in rebounds and assists. He was 10th in the ACC in scoring. He set a UVA freshman record with 12 20-point games (surpassing the 9 by Ralph Sampson in 1979–80).
He was named ACC Rookie of the Year, six-time ACC Rookie of the Week, a unanimous selection to the ACC All-Freshmen Team, honorable mention All-ACC, second-team Freshman All-American by CBS, CollegeHoops.net, and NaismithLives.com, and won the team's Sidney Young Memorial Award (individual who exemplifies leadership, cooperative spirit, and unselfish service).
In Landesberg's sophomore season he led the Cavaliers in scoring again, averaging 17.3 points a game (sixth in the ACC), along with 4.9 rebounds and 2.9 assists. He ranked sixth in the ACC in free throw percentage (.810), and seventh in field goal percentage (.443).
He was named second-team All-ACC, 2-time ACC Player of the Week, USBWA All-District III, NABC All-District 2 first team. In 2009–10, Landesberg was named to the Jewish Sports Review All-American team.
On March 6, 2010, Landesberg was suspended for the remaining game of the season for failing to meet academic obligations. On March 23, it was announced that Landesberg would not return to the Cavaliers.
On July 25, 2010, Landesberg signed a two-year deal with the Israeli team Maccabi Haifa of the Israeli Basketball Super League. Due to the fact his father is Jewish, Landesberg received Israeli citizenship. He played his first season for the team in 2010–11. In his first season playing in Israel, Landesberg said playing for Maccabi Haifa has both improved his game, and assisted him in better understanding his heritage. He said: "Hopefully, I'll make it to the NBA, but I will definitely never forget my time in Israel no matter where I go. It is a huge part of my growing up."
Maccabi Tel Aviv
On July 4, 2012 he signed a three-year contract with Maccabi Tel Aviv. In the first two seasons with the team, he saw very little playing time. In the 2013–14 season, his team won the Euroleague by defeating Real Madrid in an overtime 98–86 victory.
During the summer of 2014, after departure of some key players, his role in the team and minutes on the court increased. On October 5, 2014, in a pre-season game against the Cleveland Cavaliers, he led his team in scoring with 23 points, also having 5 rebounds, 3 asissts and steals. The Cleveland Cavaliers eventually won the game with 107–80.
Euroleague career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field-goal percentage||3P%||3-point field-goal percentage||FT%||Free-throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||PIR||Performance Index Rating|
Note: Euroleague is not the only competition in which player participated for the team during the season.
|†||Denotes season in which Landesberg won the Euroleague|
- [dead link]
- Seth Davis (November 25, 2008). "The fall of St. John's". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved January 24, 2011.
- ".". Retrieved July 29, 2011.
- SPSID=88843&SPID=10616&DB_OEM_ID=17800&ATCLID=204902390[dead link]
- "Sylven Landesberg Not Returning To Virginia". VirginiaSports.com. August 14, 2009. Retrieved April 16, 2010.
- Income, Net (June 28, 2010). "NBA Summer League Rosters – Vegas". Ridiculousupside.com. Retrieved January 24, 2011.
- "Maccabi Haifa tabs Sylven Landesberg". sportando.com. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- Ortiz, Keldy (September 30, 2010). "Ex-Queens prep star Sylven Landesberg charts his NBA path through Israel's Maccabi Haifa". AmNY. Retrieved November 4, 2010.
- Aufses, Michael (July 14, 2011). "Dime Q&A: Sylven Landesberg Talks Israel And NBA Dreams". Dime Magazine. Retrieved December 29, 2012.
- By ARON HELLER Associated Press July 29, 2011 06:24 PM (July 29, 2011). "Israel becomes haven for US Jews' hoop dreams". Taiwan News. Retrieved December 29, 2012.
- "לנדסברג ומכבי הגיעו לסיכום ל-3 השנים הקרובות". maccabi.co.il (in Israeli). Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- "Maccabi Electra Tel Aviv is the new king of Europe!". euroleague.net. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- "Sylven Landesberg: An eye-opening experience". euroleague.net. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- "Tel Aviv vs. Cleveland Game Report". NBA.com. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sylven Landesberg.|
- Sylven Landesberg at draftexpress.com
- Sylven Landesberg at euroleague.net
- Sylven Landesberg on Twitter