Team USA Basketball (video game)
|Team USA Basketball|
Team USA Basketball was a 1992 video game that was available for the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis game console. The game was a spinoff following the success of the Bulls vs Lakers video game as well as the popularity explosion of the 1992 United States men's Olympic basketball team also known as the "Dream Team". It is the third game in the NBA Playoffs series of games.
A three-card set was bundled with each copy of the game released for the North American market. Put together, the cards showed the entire roster against a sky background with the words, "BARCELONA '92" in red and white.
The game could be played in various ways: players could play against each other, or against the computer. Games against the computer were divided into two modes, "Exhibition" or "Tournament". Players could pick from one of the countries around the world to represent in the Olympics:
- United States
In the actual Olympic tournament, Croatia took the silver medal in the USA's closest match, with Lithuania taking bronze after being defeated by the USA in the semi-finals.
Games could be configured for international 20 minute halves. The court was also different from the usual NBA game since it followed international dimensions, with a trapezoidal area and a different 3-point line.
- 4 Christian Laettner – Duke University Blue Devils
- 5 David Robinson – San Antonio Spurs
- 6 Patrick Ewing – New York Knicks
- 7 Larry Bird – Boston Celtics
- 8 Scottie Pippen – Chicago Bulls
- 9 Michael Jordan – Chicago Bulls
- 10 Clyde Drexler – Portland Trail Blazers
- 11 Karl Malone – Utah Jazz
- 12 John Stockton – Utah Jazz
- 13 Chris Mullin Golden State Warriors
- 14 Charles Barkley – Phoenix Suns
- 15 Magic Johnson – no team; formerly with the Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA 2K13 – video game featuring the 1992 USA basketball team