|Member of Parliament
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||David Heathcoat-Amory|
16 October 1959 |
|Political party||Liberal Democrats|
Tessa Jane Munt (born 16 October 1959) is a British Liberal Democrat politician. She is the Member of Parliament (MP) for Wells in Somerset and is currently the Parliamentary Private Secretary (PPS) to the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills, Vince Cable.
Munt was the candidate for South Suffolk in the 2001 General Election, when she came third with 24.9% of the votes. She also stood for Ipswich at the 2001 Ipswich by-election, coming third with 22.4% of the vote. After moving to Somerset, she stood for Wells in the 2005 General Election, coming second to incumbent MP David Heathcoat-Amory with 37.8% of the vote. Munt won the Wells seat in the 2010 General Election with a majority of 800 over Heathcoat-Amory, who admitted that his involvement in the United Kingdom Parliamentary expenses scandal played a part in his defeat.
In July 2010, newspapers revealed details of an investigation by Sedgemoor District Council into her claims of council tax single person discount while having more than one other adult male registered to vote at her home, including a local GP, the broadcaster Andy Kershaw and the media advisor for the family of Madeleine McCann. It is legal to be in receipt of a discount of the appropriate amount when more than one adult is registered to vote there as only an adult whose sole or main address is at the property counts as resident for council tax purposes, including ascertaining entitlement to a discount. The case law on this is Williams v Horsham District Council, reference  EWCA Civ 39. On 6 September 2010, Sedgemoor District Council said that there were now no criminal proceedings regarding to the single person discount on Council Tax and Munt was thus cleared of any wrongdoing, though it then became apparent that she had paid the disputed amount to Sedgemoor District Council.
Born in Surrey, Munt is the eldest of four children. Initially educated in a convent, she attended a girls' grammar school before finishing her education at an independent school and college. Munt, who is vegetarian, lives in Mark on the Somerset Levels with her two children from her marriage to Martin Munt from whom she is separated. She is a governor of Hugh Sexey Middle School in Blackford and is a member of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament.
- "Liberal Democrats beat Heathcoat-Amory in Wells seat". BBC News. 7 May 2010. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- Following the appointment of Jo Swinson as PPS to the Leader of the Liberal Democrats, Nick Clegg, Tessa was appointed as Parliamentary Private Secretary to Liberal Democrat Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills, Vince Cable.http://www.libdems.org.uk/mps_detail.aspx?name=Tessa_Munt_MP&pPK=7cec2398-52d3-4efd-9b91-9258d0e5e6ed
- "Ipswich voters head to the polls". BBC News. 22 November 2001. Retrieved 6 May 2010.
- "Labour victory in Ipswich by-election". BBC News. 23 November 2001. Retrieved 6 May 2010.
- "Election winner Tessa Munt: 'The work starts here'". 7 May 2010. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- Allen, Nick; Rayner, Gordon (12 May 2009). "MPs' expenses: David Heathcoat-Amory dumps 550 sacks of manure on taxpayer". The Daily Telegraph (London). Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- "Lib Dem MP Tessa Munt threatens to quit over Trident 'hot potato'". thisissomerset.co.uk. 23 September 2010. Retrieved 15 October 2010.
- "Lib Dem MP Tessa Munt in probe over council tax discounts". Daily Mail (London). 18 July 2010. Retrieved 2 August 2010.
- "Burnham-On-Sea MP Tessa Munt faces council tax probe". 18 July 2010. Retrieved 2 August 2010.
- "Under-fire Wells MP Tessa Munt facing fresh questions". 1 August 2010. Retrieved 2 August 2010.
- "Lib-Dem MP in council tax probe had affair with her GP lodger". Daily Mail (London). 1 August 2010. Retrieved 2 August 2010.
- "Lib Dem MP Tessa Munt accused of a council tax fiddle AND an affair". Daily Mail (London). 1 August 2010. Retrieved 2 August 2010.
- "Lib Dem MP in council tax probe had THREE men staying with her". Daily Mail (London). 8 August 2010. Retrieved 8 August 2010.
- "Wells MP Tessa Munt cleared of council tax fraud claims". BBC News Online (London). 6 September 2010. Retrieved 6 September 2010.
- "Red-faced MP repays disputed tax". Daily Mail (London). 1 August 2010. Retrieved 2 August 2010.
- "Tessa Munt MP – MP for Wells". Liberal Democrats. Retrieved 27 May 2010.
- "MP hopeful dishes up as a dinner lady". Cheddar Valley Gazette (Mid-Somerset Series). 28 July 2009. Retrieved 6 May 2010.
- "Welcome to our governors". Hugh Sexey Church of England Middle School. Retrieved 6 May 2010.
- "SINGING FOR PALESTINIANS". Wells Liberal Democrats. 21 December 2009. Retrieved 26 September 2010.
- "Lib Dem conference votes to debate Trident". CND. 20 September 2010. Retrieved 26 September 2010.
- Tessa Munt profile at Wells Liberal Democrats
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 1803–2005
- Current session contributions in Parliament at Hansard
- Electoral history and profile at The Guardian
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Wells