The Search for Santa Paws
|The Search for Santa Paws|
Disney release poster
|Directed by||Robert Vince|
|Produced by||Anna McRoberts
|Written by||Robert Vince
|Music by||Brahm Wenger|
|Editing by||Kelly Herron|
|Distributed by||Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment|
|Running time||96 minutes|
The Search for Santa Paws is a 2010 direct to video film. The movie is a prequel to Santa Buddies, as well as a spin-off from the Air Buddies film franchise and the tenth film in the Air Bud franchise. It was released on November 23, 2010.
When Santa Claus (Richard Riehle) travels to New York City and gets hit by a cab, loses his memory and gets the crystal that keeps him eternal is stolen, it's up to his new friend, his puppy named Paws (Zachary Gordon) to save him. Meanwhile, a young orphan named Quinn (Kaitlyn Maher) arrives at a foster home run by a strict and no-nonsense woman named Ms. Stout (Wendi McLendon-Covey) who does not approve of anything that children love: toys, Christmas decorations, singing, and even pets. She has a furnace which she uses to burn all the toys she confiscates from the girls. Despite the harsh rules that she has to respect while staying at the foster home, Quinn eventually befriends the girls, including Janie (G. Hannelius) and Willamina "Will" (Madison Pettis). In order to save Christmas, Eli (Danny Woodburn) and Eddy (Richard Kind) the uncanny elf dog have to go to New York City to save Santa and Paws. But when Santa (Bud) is in the hospital, it takes the help of Quinn and Will to save Santa. When Kate and James take Bud from the hospital, Paws tells Eli to put his crystal next to Santa, but then he wakes up to find that Paws is a stuffed animal. They rush back to the North Pole and Paws turns into a full-grown dog named Santa Paws (Mitchel Musso) and Christmas is back on. Ms. Stout is fired from her job taking care of the orphan girls at the foster home, much to the excitement of the girls, and Will and Quinn are both adopted by James and Kate Hucklebuckle.
- Kaitlyn Maher as Quinn, the young orphan. She finds Paws in the alley behind the foster home.
- Zachary Gordon as Puppy Paws and Mitchel Musso as Santa Paws, the Great Pyrenees of whom only people that believe in Christmas can understand what he's saying. He is a stuffed animal when the crystal on his neck is removed.
- Madison Pettis as Willamina (Will for short), the oldest girl out of all the orphans. She does not believe in Christmas until she ends up stuck in the basement with Paws.
- Richard Reihle as Santa Claus.
- Danny Woodburn as Eli, Santa's head elf.
- Richard Kind as Eddy, a happy-go-lucky elf dog Jack Russell Terrier who is also Eli's assistant.
- Jason Connery as Haggis, a Scottish Terrier who's "always ready to take action".
- Christopher Massey as Rasta, a reggae Puli who is "laidback" and "easygoing".
- Josh Flitter as T-Money, a streetwise hip-hop Bulldog who is "super cool".
- Wendi McLendon-Covey as Ms. Stout, the no-nonsense headmistress of the girls home who finds Christmas, toys and anything that children love annoying. She is eventually fired from her job as a result of the abusive treatment she has inflicted upon the girls.
- G. Hannelius as Janie, an orphan who is best friends with Will.
- Michelle Creber as Taylor, an orphan.
- Melody B. Choi as Mary, an orphan.
- Nicole Leduc as Meg, an orphan.
- John Ducey as James Hucklebuckle, husband of Kate Hucklebuckle.
- Bonnie Somerville as Kate Hucklebuckle, wife of James Hucklebuckle.
- Chris Coppola as Augustus (Gus for short), a poor homeless man.
- Jonathan Morgan Heit as Jimmy, a boy scout who helps search for Santa.
- Patrika Darbo as Mrs. Claus.
- Pete Gradner as Franklin, Ms.Stout's boyfriend as well as a dogcatcher his vehicle is a Chevrolet Express.
Angela Walker, writing for ChristianCinema.com, gave the DVD three stars out of five, but said that the film fits the normal Disney DVD formula. However she went on to say that the film was predictable and a little clichéd, but that kids would enjoy it and that the film adds to the "spirit of Christmas".
A sequel, Santa Paws 2: The Santa Pups was released on November 20, 2012.
- Walker, Angela. "The Search for Santa Paws is a Cute Adventure". ChristianCinema.com. Retrieved 18 December 2011.